Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

So sad...

Nenna

Cavy Slave
I was dropping some cat and dog food/treats at the local humane society when I noticed that they had some guinea pigs up for adoption. This really surprised me as I had been donating there for years and even volunteered there as a teenager, and never once saw a single guinea pig come in. I asked the volunteer staff about them an was told they had been abandoned on the porch of the shelter several weeks ago. One was a pregant female who had given birth shortly after arriving at the shelter and the other two were large males. The babies had all been adopted out already.

I visited with them shortly and was just saddened. The humane society, both regular staff and volunteers didn't really seem to know how to care for them, the cages they were being housed in were entirely too small, far less than half the size they should be. They were each given one baby carrot while I was there and didn't have access to any hay. Their water supply was in a dish rather than a bottle, and was dirty.

I so badly wanted to take them all home with me. I certainly didn't want to leave them there. I left empty handed but only made it a quarter of a mile before I went back. I ended up bringing the female home with me and she seems very comfortable in the cage I have set up for her while she waits to join my other ladies.

I'm trying to convince my mother to adopt one as well. Her piggie, Elvis, is docile and sweet, tolerant of brutes (he visits my male, Hercules, from time to time) and would probably appreciate a companion.

:(

It really saddens me too when I see piggies in less that adequate conditions. Even though the humane society is just trying to find them a new home, they don't really know what to do when it comes to small animals. I'm glad you adopted the female and I hope your mom adopts the male.

I would suggest eduacating the shelter on guinea pigs. You could maybe offer to make them a C&C cage for the GPs. I'm sure they would apprciate it. You could also donate a water bottle, or two. I hope the people who took the babies knew the proper care of them. I'm glad you took in one female.

Usually they are dog or cat oriented and are not equipped to deal with exotics and small animals :(

I agree that educating them would be the best option. I'm sure that if they truly care about the welfare of animals they will be more than happy to listen. Although they may just not have been equipped with the necessary supplies, especially since they were just "dropped" off. Either way, I also agree that you should try to donate any supplies they need to sufficiently care for these piggies.

When I adopted my pig from the animal shelter the staff was totally ignorant too. My pig was in a store bought cage, no hay,no veggies visible. The staff brought me in the small animal room and then asked me "Do you know how to handle these things?" I got in the cage and caught him myself.

The staff was kind of rude too and the guy at the front desk asked me several times "You drove that far to pick up this little rat?"

It's a shame that people feel this way. My husband said maybe he was just joking but I don't find it funny.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.