Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

smallest of four pups needs more food?

Rubio

Cavy Slave
Our 4-month old had a litter of four pups, four days ago. I'm concerned that the smallest one needs more food -- it doesn't seem to 'compete' as well as the others for mom's milk. Also not as adventuresome looking for food.

Q: Should I try to give her some one-on-one time with mom (isolated from the others) so she can nurse a little more, or would it be better to give her special attention coaxing her onto solid foods (pellets, alfalfa hay)? I generally haven't wanted to interfere with the mom+babies nursing routine, but starting to wonder.

Many thanks for advice,

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Babies should begin eating hay, pellets, and veggies from birth, so make sure she is able to get to those. Some alone time with the mom wouldn't hurt either, but if she doesn't nurse then, just make sure she can get to the solid food.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.