Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Should I use connectors or cable ties?

wolfie

Cavy Slave
I've been surfing the photo gallery and noticed that some people use just connectors on their cages, while others just use the cable ties? I've got my supplies and am getting ready to make my first cc cage. Which is better to use- connectors or cable ties?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
It depends on what kind of cage you're building. I have a 2X6 single level, connected everything with the connectors, and reinforced it with cable ties.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x5 and I used connectors. Then along the bottom I used ties just to make sure it woulnd't come apart. That's what I did.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I use both.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I use only cable ties. I think the connectors pop off too easily.

Trega

Cavy Slave
I also use both.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
I use just cable ties. If you use the connectors, you will probably need to reinforce it will the ties anyway. I figured I would just skip a step, and go right to connectors. Also, i built a big stand, and I didn't think it would be as study with the connectors.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
I used just connectors on mine and now I am having to rebuild the cage and make it sturdier as the connectors are popping off left and right. I am going to use connectors and reinforce it with zip ties.

littlebear

Cavy Slave
I picture to be on the safe side use both. Just in case the connectors pop of theve got a back up system to hold it together so it does not fall apart and result in them getting seriously hurt or ever killed by the cage collapsing.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
I use the cable ties. I found the connectors were not as sturdy for a 2x6 two level. I also used the extra grids, connected them with cable ties and use them as a pen for floor time. It is nice since it creates a large floor time area and I can easily fold it down when not in use. I love it.
Good luck with your cage. I keep changing mine. If I used the connectors, that would proly be easier for that purpose, but cable ties are still the best for me.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
I know I haven't actually got any piggies yet but I've already decided to use cable ties. When I was putting the cage together to decide how big I wanted it I found the connectors didn't fit too well, and they kept popping off. When I tried with cable ties it was much more stable, and it means you can build the cage exactly the size you want (I couldn't quite fit 3 grids in so mine is now 2 1/2 by 4).

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I used both and then ended up redoing it all and taking off the connectors. I found they kept popping off and were not that sturdy, now I have only cable ties.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Quick tip for those using the connectors that come with the grids. Once you push the connector onto the two panels, use a pair of pliers and gently squeeze the two wires closest to each other together slightly. The panels will click tighter into the connector.

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
I jjst use the cable ties now. Make sure that you buy the heavy duty ones. I bought some at the dollar store that came in 3 different colors. They ended up popping off left and right! Now I buy the nice and thick ones.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Quick tip for those using the connectors that come with the grids. Once you push the connector onto the two panels, use a pair of pliers and gently squeeze the two wires closest to each other together slightly. The panels will click tighter into the connector.

That is the key. You may think you have them on, but a little squeeze of the pliers may prove you wrong. I have a 2 leel cage and I use connectors with ties to secure it. Found it was not stable enough with just ties.

Also, since I have a door on my cage, I also have grids on the bottome but only use zip ties to hold them together. This way, when I open the doors, the cage is still stable.

OFF TOPIC: Percy's mom...I want funnel cake too!!!

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Everytime I look at this thread, Bable ties come to mind.
Since I did not use connectors, so if anyone wants the ones I still have packaged, let me know, I will be happy to send them out. All I ask is help with postage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.