Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Shedding: Normal or abnormal?

Intellect

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I recently noticed a slight increase in shedding from my peruvian guinea pig. Since he is a hairy guinea pig, he sheds through out the year. Usually when I comb him he only looses a couple of hairs. Recently it increased (not too much), I have not noticed any patches or or hair thinning just extra shedding. I treated him for mites once in January, and once more in February (using revolution for puppies). Is this normal for peruvian guinea pigs to shed slightly more in certain months? Any suggestions on the matter would be welcome.

I don't know if gps have certain times of the year where they shed more. Mine went crazy the end of Oct and end of Dec. Then it became normal again.

Ya I have noticed that he does shed more sometimes than others, i thought that it might be a side affect of the revolution. It is unbelievable how much they shed and yet retain their coat. I get about a handful every 3 days when I clean the fleece

I noticed shedding on my 2 pigs to ... One shed a WHOLE bunch when she was pregnant , and my other sheds when she's nervous .
Or it could be a mite!
So watch her shedding if she starts itching then consult your vet!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.