Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Sewing Machine Users, HELP

Catalaya

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, so I finally decided that I am done with sewing everything by hand since its incredibly time consuming and im always making all kinds of stuff, I think it would be easier to use a machine. My question is.....is there any kind of feature or special thiny that I should look for that the machine can do? I do know those little handheld sewing machines are not so great at multiple layers of fleece, or even uhaul pads because I did invest 10 bucks in one. And it was great for a simple stitch but beyond that it was a fail, so I went back to doing it all by hand. I basically want one that will give a solid stitch and will allow me to sew layers that are more then 1 piece thick.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on one tho either. I realize you get what you pay for but I am also on a budget. So I didn't want to waste my money on one that I should of known would be better for what I need it for.....but I'm a newbie in this area and was hoping someone who has experience in this department could weigh in with some wisdom for me :p

kraizy randoms

Cavy Slave
Here is an inexpensive one that has 4 out of 5 stars. I like Singer brand because that is what I've used for years, and I have a cheep walmart machine. My beast sewing machine broke, and it was my temporary, but it has lasted about 8 or 9 years.

Bomby

Cavy Slave
This is the one we have. We use it A LOT for sewing piggy pillows, beds, fleece blankets, all kinds of stuff. It even sews denim perfectly! My mom always told me that if the sewing machine can sew denim without bogging down, then u have found yourself a good sewing machine. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-Computerized-Sewing-Machine-CS6000I/4764726

Oh and not to mention, u can sew some pretty designs on ur material as well like flowers and hearts and i think there is even a setting that will sew a duck. Its very simple to use, u just look at the number, and hit the up or down to get to that same number. and then start sewing, although u will have to change the pressure foot for some stitches but its not difficult at all. Its a great beginners sewing machine as well as great for experienced people.

Catalaya

Cavy Slave
Thank you both for your replies. I looked at some reviews and watched some youtube vids on the cs6000I and I think that is definitely the one I am going to be getting. :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I also use a Brother I bought at Wal-Mart 10 years ago for under $100. I have sewn everything piggy on it and tons of things for my children (bedding, stuffed animals, Halloween costumes, clothing, ect.)

The only thing I would suggest is any machine you get you buy the walking foot attachment. It makes sewing certain types of fabrics easier.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I have an easy stitcher, its a portable sewing machine so it is small but its perfect for me and my small apartment.

teacake

Cavy Slave
Good brands I've used are Singer, Brother, Janome/New Home, and Toyota. My college had Janome & Brother because they are sturdy. I've only ever had a basic model, most of the time you don't need anything fancy. I got a Janome one for my 18th birthday and it's fab, and worked great for 15 years, but I didn't bring it when I moved to Canada. The one I bought recently was a Sears own brand, second cheapest one. It's pretty decent. It's worth paying the extra bit to get one with more metal parts, than plastic. It'll last longer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.