Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece sewing goddesses I need you!

kraizy randoms

Cavy Slave
I have 2 yards of black, 2 yards of stars, a half yard of each zebra, 2 yards of batting, and a half yard of that fluffy white stuff. I am wanting to make a fleece blanket with additional sides to tuck over the walls of my c&c. I also am making a kitchen area out of leftover coro. My cage specs are 3x5 and the kitchen will be 3x1 1/2 grid lengths. Do i still make the fleece blanket fit the entire length of the cage or just to the tip of the removable kitchen? Also do the side pieces need to be doubled up or can they be single layer; do i make the bottom first or attach and sew all at once?
sewing goddesses I need you!

Took most of the day, but my first padded liner with sewn in side walls is finally done!
sewing goddesses I need you!

It looks great!

Good Job @kraizy randoms! How awesome. :D That's the type of liner we use & I LoveLoveLove them! They're super easy to change out & spot clean, no binder clips needed & no piggy burrowing. It takes a little bit longer to sew the side walls on, but it's definitely worth it! Your piggies are going to be impressed. :)

Good Job @kraizy randoms! How awesome. :D That's the type of liner we use & I LoveLoveLove them! They're super easy to change out & spot clean, no binder clips needed & no piggy burrowing. It takes a little bit longer to sew the side walls on, but it's definitely worth it! Your piggies are going to be impressed. :)
I had to use a ton of binder clips on this one. How much fleece needs to extend over the side walls to get it to stay without the binder clips? I need to make another one of these for changing days.

For the side walls to stay without using binder clips, you'll need to make the sides cover the whole wall. For example, if your walls are 6" high, you'll need 12" side on your fleece.

You'll need 13" if your sides are 6" for seam allowance where you attach it to your base fleece. 13 1/2" if you have a hard time keeping a straight line on the machine. ;) Also remember to make to make all the side attachments an inch and a half longer than your base length (L&W), for seam allowance when you sew the sides together after attaching your sides to the base. (Does this make sense? haha) I make the over the wall liners and they are super easy. :) My pigs are burrowers so not having the sides would drive me nuts haha! Plus I think it looks nicer than having the coroplast with tape all over it visible.

That's amazing! Hats off to anyone who can sew fleece and make things.

Great thank you! That's where I went wrong, I was not making the sides able to overlap all the way down around the outside. The bottom tends to bunch up a bit, I'm not sure how to fix that problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.