Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Seizure? I need help identifying soon

Kyuuu

Cavy Slave
Last night I thought my guinea pig died. It's hard to describe what happened because I was in panic, but the closest thing I've found to it was seizures. So, I have just gotten done petting her and I put her back in her cage. A few minutes later I heard something that sounded like her running in circles super fast but I looked and she was doing something I've never seen her do before. She almost looked rabid, diving into her bedding, rolling over again and again a fast rate like her whole body was hurting her. Her eyes looked like they almost rolled back into her head. I took her and the first thing i thought of was choking so I felt her throat. After maybe 20 seconds (It might of just felt long) she looked fine except a little confused. I looked up other guinea pig seizure videos but they all seemed a lot less intense. I'd like to know what it may of been so I can prevent it from happening ever again, and to know what to do if it happens again. Thank you.

First of all, you should go see your vet. A seizure is a VERY serious thing. It sounds like she had one. My guinea pig has had them before, and it sounds almost just like you described. Randomly "digging" into the bedding, rapid feet movement, and snapping out of it a little confused. Mine didn't roll, and his eyes didn't go back into his head, but I could expect that also in a seizure.

Do you have a cavy savvy vet you can go to soon, as in tonight or tomorrow?

If not, there are a couple of vets near you, about an hour away. (broken link removed)

Seizures can mean so many things. More often than not they are very bad, also.

Thank you so much for quick reply! You even checked places near me. I'm more convinced it's a seizure.
I forgot to mention that I'm kinda limited on things I can do. When I was uneducated a few years back, I made a huge mistake and convince mom to buy her. She wasn't all for it but I begged so I got her. My parents aren't very understanding or sensitive about animals so I'd highly doubt my mom would want to spend vet money on a 20$ 'pet'. Plus dad got laid off so.... D: (I can't wait until I can work and live on my own so I wouldn't have this situation.) Anyways, that was very helpful thanks so much and I will look into it and do the best I can.

I'm so sorry. I was the same exact way when I started with my pigs: uneducated, made big mistakes, ect. Do you have any money you could spend?

She could have just been popcorning. It can resemble a seizure if you aren't used to it, even how they can run into their piggy bed and roll around.

It doesn't sound like a seizure to me. It sounds like she was popcorning. I'm sure you can find some youtubes of it happening.

It doesn't sound like a seizure to me. It sounds like she was popcorning. I'm sure you can find some youtubes of it happening.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it definitely sounds like it.

Did is it look like these, to any extent?

When my guinea pig had a seizure, it was as if he was running on his side, then sat up in a sort of daze. He did this multiple times. He was also very ill, as far as I can remember.

Is she eating and drinking?

Re: Seizure?

I've had her for a few years so I'm familiar with cute popcorns. I'm sure what happened was not a popcorn unfortunately. She looked almost dead when I took her out of the cage. I saw the second video but not the first. Thankies. It was kinda like the top one except she was rolling around non-stop at least 5 times. D: Is there a chance she was choking on something? It's too bad I didn't see what happened right before, it could of been a lot of help. I have good news though, my mom will consider vet!! It wont be immediate but at least it's something. She's also willing to buy me one of the cages on this site, they are so awesome. I'm so glad I found this site! Thanks!

Is she eating and drinking?
Oh yeah she is. A LOT, which is pretty much normal XD

I have the feeling it wont happen again because she's very energetic and happy for her age and it was just super out of the blue. She completely fine now. She might of just been choking, but if anything weird happens again I will let the thread know.

If it's only happened once, I don't think going to the vet would be worth it. My pig Alex had an episode once that was a lot more mild than what you described, but still scared me a lot, where he repeatedly rolled over and once I went to pick him up, he seemed to snap out of it. I kept an eagle eye on him for a while, but he never did it again. It could have just been a one-time thing, and if you can't reproduce it at the vet, I don't know what the vet could do.

If every thing else is fine, then I agree. It's probably not worth a trip. :)

Also, the vet wouldn't need the seizure reproduced. They would just run tests to make sure everything is ok.

Could be mites. Sometimes they have seizures when they have them. I'm on my work break so I didn't read all the responses so sorry if I missed something.

Yeah I would be nice for her to have a check-up sometime I'm thinking. And I thought of mites too so I've been keeping an eye on how much she scratches/grooms herself. I'm feeling a lot better now, thanks to those who replied. :)

I don't really know anything but good luck with your piggy! Hope shes doing okay!

i just lost one of my pigs to seizures about a month ago. it is a really scary thing to watch. what my vet told me after like the third trip there to figure out what was wrong with her was during one of her episodes to gently press on her eyeballs and if she came out of it shortly after doing that, it was most likely seizure related. well, the next time i was home and she had one of her episodes, i tried it and it did help her come out of it, but its no cure. anti-seizure medication is a few hundred dollars (at least at my vet, and my exotic vet is usually really reasonable), but i'd suggest getting her in to see a vet. inner ear infections can cause some seizure like behaviors (that's what my lily had at first), and those are best resolved when treated early. i hope you can find some answers. best of luck with your piggy!

I don't really know anything but good luck with your piggy! Hope shes doing okay!
Thanks! :)

i just lost one of my pigs to seizures about a month ago. it is a really scary thing to watch. what my vet told me after like the third trip there to figure out what was wrong with her was during one of her episodes to gently press on her eyeballs and if she came out of it shortly after doing that, it was most likely seizure related. well, the next time i was home and she had one of her episodes, i tried it and it did help her come out of it, but its no cure. anti-seizure medication is a few hundred dollars (at least at my vet, and my exotic vet is usually really reasonable), but i'd suggest getting her in to see a vet. inner ear infections can cause some seizure like behaviors (that's what my lily had at first), and those are best resolved when treated early. i hope you can find some answers. best of luck with your piggy!
I'll try the eyeball thing if it happens again, thanks. I've also always looked in her ears and wondered about them, but for some reason I've never done research about them. Her ears actually do look kinda icky inside but for some reason I thought it might be normal.

If it's only happened once, I don't think going to the vet would be worth it. My pig Alex had an episode once that was a lot more mild than what you described, but still scared me a lot, where he repeatedly rolled over and once I went to pick him up, he seemed to snap out of it. I kept an eagle eye on him for a while, but he never did it again. It could have just been a one-time thing, and if you can't reproduce it at the vet, I don't know what the vet could do.

I have to agree, my dog has them maybe every 6-12 months. The vet knows and doesn't feel they happen enough to worry about yet( always uses that word). I did many moons ago have a dog that was on medication for them, he had them alot.

I hope your piggy is ok... I lost my piggy a few weeks ago after she had a seizure... she hadnt did that before and i never seen it happen and she just died... so hopefully your piggy doesnt do it again and it was jsut something random

I'll try the eyeball thing if it happens again, thanks. I've also always looked in her ears and wondered about them, but for some reason I've never done research about them. Her ears actually do look kinda icky inside but for some reason I thought it might be normal.

hopefully that will help. cleaning her ears might be something you want to do, but do some research on how to do it first. or bring her to the vet and they can show you how to do it. mine will even do nail trimming and cleaning for free when i bring them in for a check up :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.