Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Second Floor

snickers

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody,

I have 2 adult pigs, and I adopted a baby which was born 4 days ago and I will be picking her up in Dec when she is ready.
My question is, is it safe to build a second floor in the cage that my 2 adults are in right now even though the baby will be going in it soon? I am afraid she might fall off, or fall off the ramp. Although, she might be too afraid to use it.

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't worry about her being too afraid to use it -- if she sees the others using it, she will too. And being young, she may even use it before they do. It took my 8-week-olds about one hour to figure out the tunnel between the two floors in their cage.

But, you can build a ramp with a side rail to protect her -- there are lots of pictures in the gallery. My tunnel is made out of a piece of black plastic drain pipe that cost less than $5.

All ramps should have sides (as optionally a top). Most pigs won't use them if they don't. Make the ramp gradual and make sure it has a good grip.

You can go ahead and build the second story. Make sure you have food on the main level until your pigs get used to it.

I think a second story is a great idea! We used 2 grids bent to a "L" shape, then we used some leftover coroplast for a solid surface. Then I used duct tape to attach the grippy kitchen drawer liner. As soon as I put the hay & food on the second floor our guys went running up the ramp, and now they think it's some kind of race track!

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.