Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Scabs on Baby Pig??

madisonaryanna

Cavy Slave
My one month old guinea pig has a few scabs as I've found. Others aren't just red scabs, but one spot looks awful and is flaky. I already scheduled a vet appointment for Tuesday but any ideas and should I separate him from my other pig? If it's contagious it's too late probably though

Attachments

IMG_5638.jpg IMG_5639.jpg
Don't separate them.

Those look like nips that are healing to me.

Even though it is very flaky and is super red? and he has like three other scabs on his body
also what's odd about that is that he and my other pig are never aggressive. The other pig rumble struts a lot but the baby follows him around and they lay next to each other. If it was the place he was before then it happened before March 7th

It looks even worse today!! I'm taking him tomorrow. What do you think??

Attachments

IMG_5648.jpg
Let us know how it turns out today!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Vet says definitely not normal :( They had to scrape him and they checked for mites and found nothing, but he could still have mites that are more deeply burrowed but he doesn't know because he can't check without it being really painful. He thinks it could also be ringworm, which is his suspicion now. So they are going to wait for the culture to grow and I will hear back in 5-10 days. They went ahead and dipped him in this yellow lime sulfur dip stuff (smells like rotten eggs...) and I am coming back in a week. Hopefully by then I will know if it's ringworm or not. If it is, he'll be getting dipped again at least a few more times. :(

For future information, don't let a vet do a scraping to look for mites. It's painful for the pig, expensive for you, misses the mites half the time, and the end result is the same as if you hadn't had it done -- treat for mites.

I'm not completely sure how it works but he may or may not have needed to do it for the culture to see if it's ringworm also, but I don't know the process. That culture ended up being more than double the cost of the scraping :/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.