Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Sad state of affairs.... not everyone should own a pet

Blog entry from old forum

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Was reading a thread earlier where the original poster said he would rather put his 2 guinea pigs in the woods if he was not able to sell them and recuperate some of the funds he paid for them and their cage and stuff.

It made me so sad. That this would even enter someone's mind as an option.
I thought about my pigs. Not just the ones I have now but the ones I had years ago when I was first in college and had no clue about the proper way to care for them. But even where my knowledge lacked, I love those pigs. And my love for them motivated me to do the best I could for them at all times.

I know I may take it to extremes now. I can't tell you the number of times I have been in bed and thought I heard a sneeze and rushed in to see if anyone had a wet nose. Just to realize it was not a sneeze but the sound of my Glade automatic air freshener in another room.

The responsibility involved in pet ownership is big. And I can't help but think that parents of a child that thinks its ok to dump prey animals into to woods had to have known their their child was not ready for the responsibility of a pet.

Not everyone should be a pet owner and parents really need to consider the welfare of an animal if they are trying to "give their child a shot at being more responsible".

Just my 2 cents and I'm grateful for this blog so I can spend it :)

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
Very eloquently written Kim. You've summed it up quite well about the responsibility of pet ownership. This story of the two pigs was very upsetting to me. I pray that they will find a new home where they will be loved and cared for as they certainly deserve. Thank you for your 2 cents. I really appreciate everything that you said.

faeries

Cavy Slave
Wow... Thats just horrible I mean come on people I'm not even 12 And I wouldn't risk putting my pigs in that position for all the money in the world. I remember the time when a spider was in my pigs cage so I set them up in the bathtub with towels water food and bedding and kept checking them every time I heard a noise because I was so scared That they were scared and I was scared if they stayed in their cage before I cleaned it in the morning theyd get bitten. So an adult would set some innocent little piggies in the woods coZ He couldn't sell them & a child not even 12 wouldn't even risk them staying the night in a cage with a spider in it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.