Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescuing from pet shops....

kristinlove

Cavy Slave
I don't think that's an excuse really. If there are no shelters or rescues, one can still look for piggies on petfinder or craigslist or even in their local newspapers before even considering buying a pig at the petstore or breeder. I also believe that most people who are adamant about getting pigs from rescues or shelters are willing to drive for a couple hours if need be to do an adoption.

Well, I would be willing to make the trip, if I could drive. But I can't, and I don't think my parents are willing to make those trips.

Project_C

Cavy Slave
Well, I would be willing to make the trip, if I could drive. But I can't, and I don't think my parents are willing to make those trips.
Ah, you got the same problem as I. Thats why I had to search within 50 or so miles... Still, I found Wee Companions, so I'm alright, but I don't know about what you could find within your parents limits.

JenniferH

Cavy Slave
And these stupid people pay major buckc for a Cock-a-poo-lab-a-snauzer. Hello? If you wanted a mutt you could have gone to the pound.

The petstore in our mall did that! We passed by and there were kittens in the window. I said "that cat looks just like Zeus!" (Zeus was $80 at the shelter, neutered, de-wormed, all shots). They were selling these "all American cats" for $120.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
I hate that excuse, I couldn't drive when when I adopted my two pigs, over an hour away. (which really isn't that far) And if your parents aren't willing to drive that far, you should either wait till one becomes available in your area, or sit down and think if you should even get one. If they won't drive to adopt then will your parents be willing to drive to find Oxbow or will they let you order Oxbow/Km's pellets of the net? Will they drive a guinea pig to a cavy savvy vet and pay for treatment?(possibly hundreds of dollars)

mgeorge

Cavy Slave
I just wanted all you to know that this site does help people see how horrible pet stores are. I started out as a new guinea pig owner and i got all my knowledge here. I always wanted to get a c and c cage and finally i got one a couple of months after. When i joined the forum i was really influenced and I'm going veggie and don't shop at pet stores. I did get my guinea pigs from a pet store, but i will never make that mistake agian! You really do get through to some people!lol

Last edited:

kristinlove

Cavy Slave
I just wanted all you to know that this site does help people see how horrible pet stores are. I started out as a new guinea pig owner and i got all my knowledge here. I always wanted to get a c and c cage and finally i got one a couple of months after. When i joined the forum i was really influenced and I'm going veggie and don't shop at pet stores. I did get my guinea pigs from a pet store, but i will never make that mistake agian! You really do get through to some people!lol

I agree with that completely. I am lucky that my parents are willing to take me the ways to adopt a guine pig. I am now trying to become vegetarian. My cage is a C&C cage alternate.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
In my opinion, they should be rescuing the ones left in shelters. At least the ones in pet stores have more of a chance of getting a home. And maybe their owners will research them to see what kind of care they need. The ones at the shelters have less of a chance at getting adopted.

akintolife

Cavy Slave
I do believe that it is possible to rescue from pet stores, but not in the way most people do. To me a rescue from a pet store means taking photos and reporting violations in animal care to authorities.

At work we currently have a little piggie up for adoption who was rescued from a pet store -- or to put it more accuratly ceased from a pet store by inspectors. Because of the conditions in the pet store the piggie is listed as a cruelty case and can't be adopted without a home visit.

To me that is the only way to rescue from a pet store - not only was no money exchanged, the pet store in question was reported and inspected for the cruelty it was infliciting.

kristinlove

Cavy Slave
I really want to adopt a piggy, but there isn't anywhere near me where I can adopt. And I can't drive, and I don't know if my parents will take me to get one. It's a hard situation. I know I keep changing what I say, but my parents change what they say.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Sus..the one by me has no small animals. At least the last time I went in there. Not sure if I can get back in to look. Courtney got us thrown out last time.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
You can also check your Petco/PetSmarts near you. The PetCo near me has 9 guinea pigs that were dumped back there, most likely christmas gifts. You don't support them, they can't legally charge a fee.

ellenvega

Cavy Slave
The Petco near me always has the dumped pigs-along with hamsters, rats, mice-at the back of the store. You have to pay the store no money for them and purchase no supplies there, though. I guess most people can't be trusted to do that.

Pa_piggies

Cavy Slave
I don't think some people realize tha they are not doing a good thing. Some people don't know the whole story of animal rescues and the overpopulation mess. I lso would not know the whole story if it wasn't for the internet. I had been looking for horse things on ours when we got it, and found a horse rescue. from that site I got intomany horse rescues. I never knew there were horse rescues , and the slaughter mess. From there I got into animal rescues of every kind. Even rrat ones. Yes rat rescues. I can never set another trap. they seem to be some of the most loving smart pets.

To make a long story short, If I had the money, before I knew about the puppy mills etc.....and how if I "rescue" one in the pet store, it will leave one empty cage for another "puppymill" dog to be put in, I probably would have thought I was doing it a favor to rescue it.

You don't know how many times I saw them in there at our mall and wished I could buy them all to get them out of there. I think in some cases the rescuer is doing the animal a favor. some of the conditions are terrible. A big puppy that is too big to move right in the cage and made to stay in the cage all day and night, who knows if they are let out to roll around like they should. Some let them out t play and some , well.....I would wonder. Not all that work in a pet store like animals as much as we hope. some just see it as a job.

I see the point of not rescuing a dog or cat or guinea pig from a pet store because it keeps their business going, but in some cases I think some one should take it, buy it or what ever to just get it out of there. Don't get mad at me for saying this. but when you love animals as I do, you cant stand to see them suffer.

caribear

Cavy Slave
First of all I must say that I do understand why not to get from the pet shops. It does keep the cycle going of abuse, etc. Yes, I do think it is best to get them from a good shelter or rescue.

The question that I have is if you really care about animals, what about the little guinea pig that is being mistreated in the pet store. Yes, it is in the pet store & it would help keep the cycle going(i totally understand that & agree with it). There is still a soul in that little guinea pig however, she/he can't help where she is. Should she/he be punished for where she happened to be born? No, animal should have to be punished for where they happen to be whether it be in a shelter(to be put down) or pet store(overbreeding,small cage,no veggies).

I am not going to get from a pet store but it is something to think about. What do you think about that the soul that is still in that living creature in the store? Condemmed to a life mistreading in a pet store? This is the only thing I am torn about with that whole scerio.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
No one said rescuing was easy Pa_piggies. It's one of the hardest things a person can undertake. We are often seen as cruel by those that refuse to understand because we "ignore" the pet store animals. The sad fact is that we cannot save them by buying them or even by taking them free from the store if they are old and/or sick. All we accomplish then is to alleviate the store's cost for treating and caring for them while making room for them to get more animals in.

We want to fix the big problem not just the symptoms. It's the ol' "don't put a band-aid on a broken arm" syndrome. Fixing what we see on the surface won't fix the problem and in fact usually just makes it worse.

caribear

Cavy Slave
This may be negative but the "big problem" will never get fixed. It has been there & unfortunately will continue to be there. Sorry to be so morbid but that is just what I think.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
This may be negative but the "big problem" will never get fixed. It has been there & unfortunately will continue to be there. Sorry to be so morbid but that is just what I think.
You are right. If we all had that kind of attitude, it will never get fixed.

Look at what we have accomplished that some people thought would never get fixed but others found worth fighting for

-There are welfare and cruelty laws protecting animals
-Petshops and Breeders can face heavy fines and possible jail time, and revocation of their licence, if they fail to properly care for their animals.
-Most petstore no longer sell cats and dogs
-Petsmart recently stopped selling rabbits
-Petco now spays and neuters the rabbits they sell
-Petsmart stopped selling large birds
-More and more supply only stores are opening up

A difference is being made. We just have to keep pushing for more. If we don't I ca guarantee that the problem will never be fixed.

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
I hear that attitude a lot in my 'other life'. About how you can't fix the world's problems, etc... I figure that if nothing else, I'm helping the women who come to me to have a better birth and know they have choices. One couple at a time, I've helped over 180 babies have a better birth.

So, even if you aren't changing the world per-se, look at all the people on this forum who, one piggy at a time, have come to realize NOT to buy animals from petstores, NOT to buy supplies where pets are sold, and HOW TO take great care of their piggies so that they are happier and healthier. There is a ripple effect when they talk to their friends, etc - it's all about opening eyes and making people realize there is another way, and that the 'status quo' is NOT what is best for the piggies/animals.

Yes, unfortunately there will probably always be mass breeders and clueless GP owners, but sites like this, and people who work for animal welfare will make those situations less and less and do so much to help GPs, one at at time, by educating their owners on how to better care for them!

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
That is pretty cool VJ ^ Really shows what can be achieved if every person does their bit.
I know how you feel, Caribear. It is hard to go to a shop and look at the guinea-pigs eyes and (for me anyway) think they're probably going to end up stuck in a hutch at the end of someones garden...maybe with one of the huge rabbits they're housed with. It's hard to walk away from them, and I guess that's why people "rescue" them. But if you take that one, it's spot will be filled, and you can't go back again and again and buy every pig that arrives. You'd soon have a house full! That's why it's not rescuing, because every pig that is taken in is just replaced. If the shelter is full and you buy a pig instead of rescuing one, the shelter could have had a spot free but doesn't, so a pig can't be saved. I can see where you're coming from and I can empathise with you, but if you rescue you will truly be saving a pig.

danny80

Cavy Slave
A few angry guinea owners who repel other potentially good guinea
lovers by snapping at them. - Not cool. -

That's all I'm saying.

I was the one who said, ' You are so wrapped in guinea love, you forget
to how to treat people right. '

I still stand by that statement.

Do you REALLY want to help guineas?

Then be patient and lure more people into this movement by
being nice to them first instead of spraying them with bunch of
interrogating-like questions and judgement.

I'm talking about 'effeciency' here.
If you could be little patient about new owner's dumb(as we think)
questions, we could potentially attract more good hearted guinea
lovers.

Most of animal-lover-haters(Oh, they are out there, more then you think.)
hate animal lover or animal loving movement for exactly this reason.
They are too extreme, and self-righteous.

I guess I'm too political-minded to be an activist.
But that doesn't mean I don't love animals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.