Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopt vs. Buy reasons people may choose to buy from petstore as opposed to adopting

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
Sometimes pet stores get them from shelters or people donate their babies like my friend did to a pet store. But if you do have a guinea pig at your shelter, get it will proboly get put down.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Sometimes pet stores get them from shelters or people donate their babies like my friend did to a pet store. But if you do have a guinea pig at your shelter, get it will proboly get put down.

As Paula said, there's no reason why you absolutely haveto buy. Your excuse for having no other option but to buy a guinea pig is simply not true. And then to go and instruct others that we should adopt, when it's you who should take your own advice, is just beyond me.

There are options--you could check Craigslist, Petfinder, and even your local newspaper. Where there are pet stores, there's most certainly a place for animals who are dumped. If you can't find a shelter or non-pet store place to adopt from, then it's not going to hurt you to wait until you've found an adoptable pig.

frillint

Cavy Slave
Yes, there are always piggys on craigslist or petfinder. You can even post a wanted guinea pig ad on craigslist.

Lorvoll

Cavy Slave
In my experience, our local shelters that focus primarily on dogs and cats tend to overlook putting guinea pigs on their website. The only way to find out if they have any are to call or physically go in.

Mama&Baby

Cavy Slave
I may have to get it from a pet store sadly. I got Buddy at a petstore and he lived 9 whole years!! died yesterday :weepy: when I get my new pigs, I will try to adopt

I hope you will decide to adopt rather than feed money to these petstores by buying a pig...This is how I found my pigs: I couldn't find a rescue in my area that had guineas (there are many small rescues that I hadn't heard of before), so I went online to Yahoo!Answers and asked there if anyone knew of a rescue around my area that had guinea pigs. One person gave me the name and website of a small shelter and I adopted my pigs from there :)

Mama&Baby

Cavy Slave

Even if the petstore did get guinea pigs from people who donated them, by buying them you are still feeding money to a company whose mission is to make a profit, not care for animals.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
Just once I want to see someone post that they got their guinea pig from a pet store because they were selfish, lazy, impatient, and/OR couldn't be bothered to research.

Just once.

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Yes, there are always piggys on craigslist or petfinder. You can even post a wanted guinea pig ad on craigslist.

Totally agree ! I was on Freecycle looking for guinea pig items for my eventual pets and a lady begged me to take her two that she could not keep due to a family illness. Worked out beautifully for both of us !

GuineaLove

Cavy Slave
I know it is hard to wait when you want something badly. When I first started looking for a guinea pig to house with my Izzy, I could not find any guinea pigs in my area. I even planned a possible road trip to bring home a new piggy but I could not find any within driving distance. I kept worrying that Izzy was lonely. There were many cute baby guinea pigs at many pet stores in my area but I waited. I waited several months. Now there are so many guinea pigs looking for homes in my area it is heartbreaking. I now have six beautiful happy girls. If I had more room, I would probably have even more. Be patient. Keep checking everyday. I am so glad I waited for my girls. I love knowing that I am giving them a great life and spoiling them is a joy.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Back on point...

I did a similar persuasive speech for public speaking in my fall semester last school year. You can find a lot of information with electronic resources, and databases searchable from libraries, etc.

My info/statistics was centered around US and specifically in my county/city/state. Here were my sources:

Barrett, Michael. "Go-Force in da house." 16 August 2009. Gaston Gazette. 23 November 2009.
"Cavy Education." 2008. Arizona Piggie Poo Rescue. 21 November 2009 <https://www.piggiepoo.org/education.html>.
Cavy Spirit Rescue. 16 November 2006. 21 November 2009 <https://www.cavyspirit.com/>.
"Doing What's Best for Our Companion Animals." 14 November 2009. Helping Animals. 22 November 2009 <https://www.helpinganimals.com/factsheet/files/FactsheetDisplay.asp?ID=133>.
HSUS Pet Overpopulation Estimates. 23 November 2009. 23 November 2009 <https://www.humanesociety.org/issues/pet_overpopulation/facts/overpopulation_estimates.html>.
"MCACC Shelters Bursting at the Seams." 13 November 2009. Maricopa County Animal Care & Control. 20 November 2009 <https://www.maricopa.gov/pr_detail.aspx?releaseID=1264>.
"PETA Expose Prompts PETCO to Make Sweeping Changes." 21 February 2008. The PETA Files. 19 November 2009 <https://blog.peta.org/archives/2008/02/peta_expose_pro.php>.
Petfinder. 2009. 20 November 2009 <https://www.petfinder.com/>.
In my speech, I called out for people to adopt ANY animal, and spread the word about services such as petfinder, craigslist, freecycle, etc. and urged them to donate time or items to local shelters. One of my biggest points was that people always think shelters are just for cats and dogs, and it's simply not the case.

Hope that helps.

3Piggles

Cavy Slave
My state is a strange one, as there is an extreme shortage of pigs. Even my vet asked me to find a pair for a friend's son, and I couldn't. All the surrounding states have pigs in rescues. I can no longer easily drive that far on my own. Our chain pet stores, PetCo and PetSmart sell pigs, and even they had no pigs for almost a year. Sometimes it just is not easy to find a pig. Sometimes because of restrictions, needing someone to drive you or not owning a vehicle, it isn't possible to get to distant rescues with pigs. Still, it's good to consider the options before just going to the local pet store and buying a pig.

Rescues always need support. Most are no-kill, so they don't put down pigs that don't get adopted. Most rescues also have a vet(s) to care for their animals, and some even do routine neuters of boars. They provide a decent life for their pigs, even if not the extremes we might provide, and keep them healthy, happy and safe.

There are two types of pet stores, those that sell animals and somethings to go with them, and those that sell things, and some animals to go with them. Both are usually pretty bad, as the animal stores get animals from pupper and kitten mills, while the things stores sell animals to get people to buy a lot of things for those animals. The animal is not important, only the money. It is sad, but small furries just don't rate very highly in the US unless they get people to buy a lot of stuff.

Craig's List is an option, though anyone can and does advertise on CL, so ads should be read very carefully. There are also rarely any return policies or even any routes to get money to help with vet bills should a pig be really sick.

Petfinder lists all pigs in all rescues and some private sale, by zip code. The USSPCA site also has links to rescue locators. Many state SPCAs also have links to all of the states rescues. If all of those routes fail, and you get a pig from a pet store, I strongly advise you have a vet check the pig for any parasites or illnesses shortly after you get it. Also, since most pet store pigs are housed in large groups, it is more important to get two, as not having a pal will be a major lifestyle change for the pig.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
- The petstore is closer (honestly, there are so many of them in my area)
- They never thought you could actually adopt anything other than a dog
- They dont want to sign a shelter paper (You think "ew, contracts = comitment")
- You can easily return pets to a store and get a refund without questioning.
- Not many people think of adopting, honestly. Count how many times petstore ads are bombarded at us via tv, radio, etc. NOW, count how many ASPCA ads. NOW try to figure out why they only advertise cats and dogs as the only shelter animals. :(
- The same store that sells pet food, pet leahes, salt lick, treats, shampoo, vet medicine, and other stuff sells pets too, how convenient!
- Petsmart is more trusted than a not-highly-marketed shelter
- People are against charity
- ... And the petstore is in front of Walmart, a gas station, the super mall, and a racetrack. Yay for petstore franchises in marketable areas that are super convenient. You never see a shelter IN a Walmart, right?
- They'll probably fail a shelter interview and think all that hype for a pet isn't needed and is a hassle.
- You have a huge variety at a petstore. Fish, hamster, dog, ferret, MOOSE, you name it, they've got it!

Oh, boy. Those are all I can think of.

MaryGoodnight

Cavy Slave
I'm going to try to word this in such a way as to not make enemies with my first comment to these boards but it seems you need some good reasons people don't use rescues. I feel I'm in the minority here. I live in a rural area and, even with all I'm learning about guinea pigs, I still find them a very affordable (after start up costs) and low maintenance pet. I don't believe I will spend over $1 a day feeding my piggy in the summer. Hay is available in bulk locally and by delivery I'm only limited by my ability to store it in the "city" (I live in down town Marquette, that's our "city") and local produce is in season. Up here guinea pigs and bunnies are primarily livestock animals. We have a very active 4H club and they are easy to keep, virtually free to raise and can be overseen by older children. If you have the time, resources and mentality to breed and show piggies it would be almost nothing but profit even if you sold them at $5 a piece at the state fair or at a produce stand. Why on earth would you drive X hours to a rescue for a non-pedigree quite possibly neutered piggy? (Keep in mind these are not my views expressly but I am sympathetic to them agriculture is hard to make a living off of and I really value small farms.) Even all that being said I have seen very few guinea pigs up here at all. Not at the humane society, not at the pet store with any frequency and I tend to avoid the state fair because I really like actual pig-pigs and think they are too smart to be used as a food source so it breaks my heart to see them alive for the last time.

I bought my piggy from the petstore because she broke my heart in her little tank with her ears all chewed up. We only have 1 feed store and 1 petstore up here and the one with the animals is the only one that carries my brand of cat food (one of my cats has a sensitive stomach) so I have to patronize them every couple weeks anyway. All things considered I would rather have gotten a 4H guinea pig but my next piggy will most likely come from a rescue.

johnkenjiyoon

Cavy Slave
I would love to adopt, but there`s no adoption center here, only pet stores. So I don`t have a choice but to buy:|

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
I would love to adopt, but there`s no adoption center here, only pet stores. So I don`t have a choice but to buy:|

There's always a choice. Just because there's no adoption center locally within short driving distance doesn't mean you can drive farther.

I'm going to be honest, all of my Guinea Pigs come from the pet store, but there is a back story to it which is no excuse in any matter regardless, though.

The first three were before I knew really anything about Guinea Pigs. I did not know there were small animal shelters. When you think of the shelters (at least, me) I thought of dogs, cats, goats and horses and I thought of the occasional bird. (Though, at my SPCA the horses/goats are not adoptable, they are just there) I realized I should have looked into Guinea Pigs more before I purchased them from the store.

My fourth one was a surprise from my mom after I knew about pet stores. Of course, I love all of my piggies dearly and wouldn't trade them in for the world but of course I do regret not adopting them from the SPCA.

However, my mom has this sort of attitude when it comes to pet store piggies: "They need a home, too." No matter how many times I try to tell her how bad the pet store purchasing is she states that the cycle will always continue. I of course strongly disagree with this.

But I have managed to convince her to not shop at PetSmart anymore and to get her to shop for ALL of her pet stuff at the local feed stores that DON'T sell animals. (Minus one that will take in the occasional animal and adopts them out with a small rehoming fee)

Shauna&Kerri

Cavy Slave
For me our reason was complete ignorance. I got my two little piggies from PetSmart, but this was before I knew there were adoption centers and shelters...I know it is a poor excuse and I probably should have done my homework well before actually bringing them home. But that isn't what happened and I am trying my best to take care of these little ones!

In fact I did do my homework as far as hamsters go. That is what my son originally wanted. We researched hamsters for weeks before going to get one. The reality is that when I think about getting a small pet like a hamster, I automatically think that the only place to get one is a pet store. They don't live very long (most only a year or two) and it wouldn't have even came to mind that we could adopt one that had a previous owner. When we got to the store and he saw the guinea pigs, he fell totally in love! He is 14 and so we discussed it at the store, left, went to his jr, high graduation ceremony, and then went back to the store and he picked out the one that he wanted. We did end up getting the two that were in the cage together, and both ended up being sick, and one looks like she is probably pregnant. We have had them for about a month. We both started doing research on how to care for them as soon as we got their cage set up! It took us 5 days to build them a big cage (it was not easy finding grids or coroplast!) and in the mean time they had lots of floor time in his GP-proofed room!

So would I get another one from a pet store. NO. Do I regret having gotten these two there. NO. I only regret having helped support the whole darn industry! I am now desperately looking for a feed store to buy local hay and supplies, so that I never have to set foot in a pet store again. I plan to buy my bedding online from Amazon, unless the feed store also carries it. I am traveling 2 hours away tomorrow to shop at a place in Bakersfield, CA! And we plan to adopt in the future if we can. Even if it means waiting, searching and traveling to pick them up.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Not knowing there are pigs in rescues and shelters or pigs that need rehomed through sources like petfinder, craigslist, etc. is one thing. Once most people learn that there are rescues/shelters and other sources they tend to do the right thing and adopt.

It's those that know and still go to petstores or breeders to purchase pigs that know about petstores/breeders that we have a problem with because they always have a choice. Even if there are no pigs available through local sources or no rescues/shelters in your area, that does not mean it's ok to get them from petstores or that it is the only option. The other and more important option would be to wait until there are pigs available or not get pigs at all. I would rather do without pigs at all than to support petstores that sell pets like they are nothing more than merchandise or the oft cruel and abusive mill/breeder industry.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I'm going to try to word this in such a way as to not make enemies with my first comment to these boards but it seems you need some good reasons people don't use rescues.
And you've not provided any good reasons, either.

I feel I'm in the minority here. I live in a rural area and, even with all I'm learning about guinea pigs, I still find them a very affordable (after start up costs) and low maintenance pet.
I'm curious, do you think they are animals deserving of veterinary care when it's needed? Because generally, they are very affordable and low maintenance; until they're ... not. A heart problem or a bladder stone or even a URI can turn an affordable pet into a very costly one in no time flat. Unless, of course, you don't think them worthy of veterinary care in the first place.

If you have the time, resources and mentality to breed and show piggies it would be almost nothing but profit even if you sold them at $5 a piece at the state fair or at a produce stand.
It's really this kind of selfishness that gives breeders such a bad reputation on this and similar sites. These are lives we're talking about here - living, breathing creatures - that you're so happily willing to sell at $5 a pop.

And if you have the time, resources and mentality to breed and show them, do you also have the time, resources and mentality to research their pedigrees to ensure you won't end up with a lethal or some other awful scenario? I rather doubt it, but you might surprise me.

I'll not even ask if you think it would be even remotely appropriate to ensure that the homes you'd be selling to are decent ones. After all, at only $5, if they kill them because of shoddy care, they can always just buy another one being so quickly churned out with no regard whatsoever to the sow or sows being bred back to back to create this "profit for nothing."

Why on earth would you drive X hours to a rescue for a non-pedigree quite possibly neutered piggy?
Why create more life when there are already so many out there already, many quite possibly facing euthanasia for the mere offense of not being wanted any more?

And really, is a "non-pedigree" or even "quite possibly neutered" pig such a tragic thing to begin with? More to the point, how valuable is a pedigreed or intact animal? About 5 bucks, apparently.

Even all that being said I have seen very few guinea pigs up here at all. Not at the humane society, not at the pet store with any frequency ...
I find this impossible to believe, given the booming 4-H industry you described previously.

...and I tend to avoid the state fair because I really like actual pig-pigs and think they are too smart to be used as a food source so it breaks my heart to see them alive for the last time.
How sweet. Another question out of curiosity - how do you feel about other animals being used for the food industry? The slightly less bright ones, like cows and chickens?

I bought my piggy from the petstore because she broke my heart in her little tank with her ears all chewed up.
I have a fairly strong suspicion that there's another pig in her place in the tank now, with chewed up ears or worse. Are you going to go back and get that pig too? And the one after that? How about the one after that?

Right. Cause having a guinea pig isn't a choice you're making, it's a civil requirement. Hate it when that happens.

johnkenjiyoon

Cavy Slave
I wouldn`t tell anymore "excuses", if that`s how you describe it. But for me, I would be honest, I`m not really into pets, I`m not really a pet lover, well, of course I love pets, specially a cat. But I don`t care that much if they came from a pet store or a shelter, i just want to have them, have fun with them, take care of them. I didn`t even know about that we shouldn`t buy pets on pet stores before i joined here. Now i know, but for me, nothing really changes. I don`t have the piggies yet, so I`ll try to find a homeless piggies. Maybe you guys are right, maybe i just need to look harder, maybe i just need patience.

I know most of you will disagree with me on what i said, but that`s just my opinion. I`m sorry for any inconvenience you might feel.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.