Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Re-introductions after 2 week confinement. Best way?

Aislinn

Cavy Slave
As some of you know, I had to confine Reeses, due to a leg injury. The girls have still been in the same cage, but Have been blocked off from one another, by the partition/ramp. I've never had to do reintroductions before, even though I probably should've, after Marshy's confinement, not too long ago. What are the best ways to do it?

I'm going to give them a buddy bath, and put super-washed bedding down [I use fleece], but I'm not really sure what else to do, as they were a bonded pair, when I adopted them! They do still eat dinner together, every night, in their pool, so aren't completely separated 24/7.

After Marshy's confinement, I had a bit of an issue with bullying, and Marshy being territorial over the area she had been in... I don't want this to happen again!

So, what are the best way to prevent bullying post-confinement? I have a week, before the confinement period is over, and just want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance! x

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Just like that
Buddy Bath(don't even have to bath together really), clean bedding and 1 huge pile of a food source.

But, just so you know, don't ever do that. Where you let them eat dinner together.

Aislinn

Cavy Slave
Okay. Thanks so much!

jinxie

Cavy Slave
@MrWhistles has got it. Having a food source helped my boys be reintroduced so much smoother. They were freaking out (even in a new clean cage) until I brought out the veggies and it was like old times. Place the less dominant one in there first if you are worried. You will be so happy when you hear their squeaks of joy they are together, especially if they have been all alone. Good luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Do it the same way you'd do regular introductions, except that you probably won't have to leave them in the neutral place so long. Lots of food piles back in the thoroughly cleaned cage, and no hideys for a while. Expect some sniffing, nose-raising, nipping and chasing.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't bother with the buddy bath. It's not supposed to be part of the introduction at all. It's meant for pigs that perhaps aren't getting along to bond them. There's no need to stress them out any more than they would be already with a re-introduction.

Party Guineas

Cavy Slave
A neutral area is important. If you mix up the cage a bit, like with a fleece forest or some re-arrangement of hay/food/toys, it might help, as it will look like a 'new' cage. She might not recognise the area where she was confined as much as you saw before. I just had to do this, too, and did much of what was said above (minus buddy bath), and it went well, so good luck!

Aislinn

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the advice! I use pads or towels, in their kiddie pool, to absorb the pee, and so the pool isn't so messy... Should I just put them on a pad, on the couch or something, instead of in the pool? I'm not really sure where else I could put them, as a 'neutral zone', other than on the couch, in my lap, or in their pool... I've never had to do introductions, either, before, so this is new territory for me, lol.

How can I make a fleece forest? I've got some extra fleece, and think they'd like it, I just don't know how to make them, lol. I also thought maybe a new [second, as they've got one that they both fit in, at the same time, that came with them] hidey, to mix things up a bit. Not sure, though. I just don't want them to start bickering, again! There were some unsettling 'clashes', especially of teeth, last time; though, no actual biting or anything, luckily.

Party Guineas

Cavy Slave
To create a neutral zone: set up some floor space as if you were going to have floor time. This can be in any room, just make sure you put down some plastic, like a shower curtain or something, and towels with fleece on top (something to absorb the wee). The either block off an area or you can use the whole room, if you block off anything they can chew (wires, electric sockets, furniture) or anything they can get under (sofas, beds). I usually just set up a large grid area with something to cover the floor, say 2x8 or 2x9 (but I have four guineas).

There are a lot of examples of fleece forests online, if you Google for them. There are also instructions. But simply put, you need at least one piece of fleece that is the length you want (one grid's width, two grid's width, you get the picture) and a bit more than twice the height of your cage. Fold in half along the length and cut strips along it, leaving an uncut gap at the top. You can then hang it over a length of plywood or stick the strips between some grids and attach the grids to your cage to make a sort of 'roof' with dangling fleece strips. Many other ways to make it, too, though. I attach mine with some velcro strips to plywood (see photo).

I'd suggest not putting in hideys or igloos yet if they only have one entrance - if you have anything with two entrances, like a hidey that is an arch shape, that's much better. This prevents anyone getting cornered and gives an exit just in case a dispute happens. Pellet bowls during an intro can also cause problems. Save this for after they've had some time to acclimate themselves to their cage again. Hay and veggies are great, though.

photo-3.jpg

Aislinn

Cavy Slave
Ah, okay. Awesome, thanks! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.