Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Ramp for Cage Time?

thistlewriter

Cavy Slave
So I've been wanting to find a way to give my boys floor time, where I can sit on the floor and where they can run around without getting into trouble (they both love to zoomie, and I've been wanting to give them more space to do so). I have a C&C cage from GPCagesStore, which rests on a stand from the same store. I have the following idea but would like some feedback on whether or not this would work.

-Buy or make a ramp that leads from the cage down to the floor. I'd have to permanently cut the coroplast to do this. My main concern is that I'd want to make sure the ramp if off-limits when I'm not there to supervise them, so I don't know how to do that if I cut the coroplast.
-Put the other end of the ramp into a Midwest cage, which will serve as a "doorstep." That way, when it's floor time, I can just open the door and let my boys walk out on their own free will (because I highly doubt they'll want me to pick them up for floor time). Part of me thinks I could do without the Midwest cage and just put the ramp directly to the floor, but I'm not so sure about this.
-Outside of the Midwest cage, I'd use microfiber bath mats from Ikea to cover/protect my carpet. Then I'd use cube grids and zip-ties to clearly define where the boys can go.

Does this sound like a feasible idea? I welcome any suggestions or alterations!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You not only will need to cut an opening in the Coroplast, but also will need a doorway cut in a grid. I have a similar arrangement for my loft and the ramp to it. I'll see if I can find a pic of the grid with the doorway cut in it. Cut the doorway with wire cutters and then Dremel the cut ends smooth so that no one gets impaled on them. That way you maintain the integrity of the grid and don't disrupt the stability of the cage. Cutting out 5 vertical x 4 across of the grid openings is plenty large for adult cavies. As you will see from the pic, the ramp then easily fits inside that opening. You can use an extra piece of coro wedged between the main "box" and the grids to block the doorway when it isn't in use.

Crowded Loft.jpg

Why not just use an old shower curtain or vinyl table cloth to cover your carpet? Otherwise, I'd use washable incontinence pads with perhaps a layer of fleece over them. You want an arrangement that is easy setup/tear down and washable. You can make your own ramp similar to the ones sold in the GP store. I have posted instructions here: (broken link removed)

You have the right idea for setting up a play pen by using zip ties (no connectors) to join grids to make the exercise area whatever size you want. Just use a large binder clip to join the ends. Yes, the ramp can go directly to the floor if your grid stand is just one grid high. It would be the same difference as a ramp from the main level to the loft in my cage and thus not too steep.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Candalalala........you and I are thinking along the same lines.:)

CocoNParis

Cavy Gazer
We have a 4 x 2 indoor cage for our 2 guinea pigs. Each night we give them floor time on tiles in our home. We sit on the floor and play with them. They are free to roam the house but they never do. They just stay close to us and they are most happy when they see their hidey. After a while of playing around and running from
hidey to hidey they will tell us when they want to go ‘home’. Non stop wheeking. It’s all very adorable. They will fail to surprise us. So well behaved.

Even if they go under the tv bench, not a problem. I just go and get the pack of leaves and as soon as they hear the crinkle noise, they will come out. Super adorable.

On weekends we also set up the play pen on tiles for floor time with some puppy pads. We did try to put play pen on grass but they would not come out of hideys and seemed scared. As they are our only family pets n kept indoors, they receive a lot of attention from the whole family.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.