Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Rabbits & Guinea pigs cagemates?

Sraversrave

Cavy Slave
I will let my 2 guinea pigs and Lop bunny have play dates sometimes and they seem to do really well with each other, is there anyone who actually keeps their pigs and rabbit(s) together full time? Obviously rabbits and guinea pigs require different food and would probably have to be fed their pellets separately but other than that is it dangerous to keep them together?

Attachments

IMG_0357.jpg
Yes, it is dangerous. A rabbit can easily disembowel a guinea pig with its powerful hind legs. And bordatella is very common in rabbits, but guinea pigs can't be vaccinated against it. Neither guinea pig nor rabbit societies recommend letting them live together.

Oh wow! Thanks for the info! Do you think having them together for those short supervised play dates every now and then still okay? Or is that still an issue because of the possibility of bordatella?

It's definitely an issue because of the bordatella, but also because of the danger to the guinea pigs. Guinea pigs really don't play much, so they won't miss the play date.

It's definitely an issue because of the bordatella, but also because of the danger to the guinea pigs. Guinea pigs really don't play much, so they won't miss the play date.

I'll have to try and post a video, my pigs actually love the bunny they get really excited when I bring her in. I guess I'll keep the visits to a minimum to keep everyone safe though!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.