Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior questions on adolescence

brittney

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone.
I have gotten a young pig about 4 months ago.
he is the sweetest, loved to be picked up even on the first week and is never scared of anyone's hand.
However, this past month and a half he's been acting out biting my guinea pigs and this week has had a tendency to nip ears and rip out hair causing bloodshed.
I have him separated at the moment. i know this is a part of adolescence because he's been going after the alpha male of the "herd".
He also has an issue with attacking my dustpan when i try and clean his cage. he likes to go underneath the handle and flip it over, chew it, and chew the rubber handle when I'm not looking. i'm not sure if that's linked to it but i'm just wondering.
he also has a tendency to chew. he chewed up a log cabin i bought him to the point where i can't put the roof back on. he doesn't like timothy hay as much or the apple branches.
He will only chew something for a second if i have it in my hand.
since this has been a month and a half i was just wondering how long adolescence lasts, and if these other things are linked to it, or if he's just being rough. Because now he doesn't care if my boyfriend picks him up.. but if i do, he tries to nip at my hands or go after my hair and scratch me.
Any suggestions on how long it lasts and what to do?

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
I wish I could help you. I have three boys and I don't want to brag ( but I will) they don't have any boy problems. They are Rudy, just over 2; Spike, 1 year; and baby Zippy, 5 or 6 months.

I am so lucky.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I wish I could help you. I have three boys and I don't want to brag ( but I will) they don't have any boy problems. They are Rudy, just over 2; Spike, 1 year; and baby Zippy, 5 or 6 months.

I am so lucky.

I would pay for some of that luck!
My boys are around 5 months old.
No bloodshed issues or serious misbehavior but they do love pushing each other's buttons!
I never had this much drama with my girls.

(broken link removed)

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
SO, you have a mischief maker on your hands, huh ? Though he is still in the "adolescent phase" which is anywhere from 3 months up to a year ( cavy spirit says 3-5 months but many other members on here, have reported their experience with adolescence, lasting longer than that)

You may just have one of those feisty piggers that may not get along with others, and need to be permanently separated from the others ! As far as his behavior towards you, I would NOT suggest putting him down right after a bite or scratch, because this will just reinforce his aggressive behavior.

If he is vying for top dog right now, he will most certainly continue to try to be "top dog" over you ! He needs to know YOU are the boss. Jack Pines Rescue has a fantastic article on biting and aggressive behavior, I LOVED reading this article and it really gave me an excellent perspective, when I started having biting problems with my girls ! Really WELL WORTH your time, to read. Here is that link below:

(broken link removed)

Here is the excerpt from cavy spirit, that I was referring to above, below:

When you pair up a young guinea pig with any other guinea pig (young or old), there is a chance that as he or she goes through their adolescent period (3-5 months), they will challenge the other guinea pig for top guinea pig position. This can lead to some fighting. Most of the time they figure it out for themselves. Occasionally, the fighting is extreme and they must be permanently separated. Again, remember this can happen with ANY guinea pig pair, male/male or female/female.

Good luck !! :cheerful: Hope things settle down with your spunky ( gotta love a lil' spunk in a piggie though, right ?) yet naughty, piggie !

Last edited:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Just want to add something important, just so there is no misunderstanding about what I meant by "not putting him down right away after a bite or scratch, and letting him no you are the BOSS".

Guinea pigs don't understand normal "discipline" as we know it. They don't respond like dogs ( or even some less independent cats) do. I had to learn this in the very beginning too. What I mean is he needs to know you won't be phased by his bad behavior.

Though he may not ever ( don't give up on this yet though...you may still get lucky and be able to pair him up with some other calmer piggie) be able to have another cagemate, but with firm consistent love and handling and PATIENCE from you despite himself, he will calm down eventually with you and actually learn to enjoy his time with you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.