Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vision Question about how well guinea pigs can see

Maplepig

Cavy Slave
Hi! I don't know if I'm allowed to ask this question, but I'm kind of desperate.
I'm writing a book, and part of it is from the first person perspective of my guinea pig, Maple. I want this book to be scientifically accurate, so I was wondering what colors guinea pigs can see, and how far they can see. I know that they're nearsighted and have poor depth perception, but to what extent? I've also read that they can't see all the colors humans can. What colors can they see?
All the web sites I've found about guinea pigs are about how to care for them and such, and give very little information on what things look like from a guinea pig point of view.
So if anyone could refer me to a sight with some scientific information about guinea pig eyesight, (preferably not written in Science-ese) I would appreciate it.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
This topic has been debated many many times, so I believe there is no real answer. I also personally believe that it's difficult to figure out exactly how another animal sees. But, here is what I found:-They can see 33 images per second, while humans can only see 22-They can generally see a meter in front of them, anything further is difficult for them to see-They can't see clearly beyond their nose-They are excellent in differentiating colors, particularly yellow, red, blue, and green.Everything is a blur to them based on what I heard in the past.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.