Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Pregnant Skinny any help appreciated LONG

Status
Not open for further replies.
crazyaboutpigs
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Wow, she is huge! I'm sure she got pregnant before you got her, and it looks like she could deliver very soon.

There are a few things you should do:
-Stop putting vitamin drops in the water. They degrade very quickly, so they are basically useless. Plus they can make the water taste different so the pigs drink less. Just make sure you feed a variety of veggies. 1/8 pepper per pig per day will provide enough vitamin C.

-Make sure your vet is good with guinea pigs. If he isn't, get a new one lined up ASAP. Have a plan in case there is an emergency during off hours. Read up on possible complications and what to do if they arise.

-Feed alfalfa pellets if you're not doing so already (or another form of extra calcium, but pellets will be easy).

-I have never heard of one pig triggering another to go into labor too early, but I'm not a vet. You could have a vet do an ultrasound on the other pig to verify if she is pregnant. How big is she? Is she gaining weight as quickly as the other girl? My guess is that if one is so far along and the other not showing any signs, that the other is probably not pregnant, but that could be wrong. If she is not pregnant, however, they should definitely stay together.

I'm sorry you got stuck in this position. I hope the birth goes smoothly!

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
Wow, that is a big pregnant belly. If you feel the base of the spine where the hip are you can feel two bumps. Those bumps will seperate as she gets closer to delivery. My girl's spread about a finger space apart. Once that happens, it usually is within 24 hours of delivery. Good luck!

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I have read that if one guinea pig goes into labor that it may trigger the other to go into labor. I don't think it has really been proven. I think since it says may that it is merely speculation or simply a myth or a misconception about guinea pigs. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

You don't want to cause any undue stress to either of girls so close to delivery day, so do not seperate. Make sure the pregnant one has a lot of extra soft things to lay aroung as she probably lay a lot more as delivery day gets closer.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
You don't need to add vitamin C to their water. If you want to supplement with C, try something like Oxbow's C tabs. Akstrohm's bell pepper suggestion is a great one as well.

Do you know their ages or if they have had litters previously? If they're young or have had prior litters, the risks are fewer.

In additon to Alfalfa hay, you might start giving them parsley or another veggie that's high in calcium and protein daily.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Ditto - no vit c in their water. It is pretty useless and sometimes harmful. If you want to supplement vit c, get plain vit c tablets or liquid and offer it directly.

Read https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html too

What the vet said is technically true but it is rare and not a big issue unless you suspect the other one is pregnant but not as far along.

How long have you had them? Good luck.

Ibbet

Cavy Slave
Everyone said what I was gonna say, so I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with the pregnancy, the momma, and the babies.

On a side note: I love skinnies. I want one badly and if a shelter close to me ever has them, I'll get one.

Good luck again!

crazyaboutpigs

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you're well prepared. I would add more veggies to their diet though--pigs need a lot of variety!

Good luck!

crazyaboutpigs

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
I would keep them together. They help each other take care of the babies as long as they get along well. No reason to stress them and separate. When mine had babies, the girls stayed together.

momof1kid3piggi

Cavy Slave
It would Be best to keep them together. I had my females together during the whole pregnancy Of one of my pigs. (accidental Unknown when I got her same as you) But they where fine together. The other female that didnt have babies would wash off The babies and help the mom with other things. They loved the time together with all the babies.

crazyaboutpigs

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
I feel for you. Have you decided about keeping all the babies or not? She is way bigger that my one girl that I adopted pregnant. She had 4 babies. Read the nutrition charts and baby proof your cavy cages. I hope everything turns out well for both girls and their babies.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Good Luck, I hope it all works out.

crazyaboutpigs

JessicaS

Cavy Slave
Crazyaboutpigs - where are you located? If I can convince my husband to let me take on another pig, I would be interested in adopting at least 1 when they are ready (most likely a female as I could integrate it better into my herd) and if he's really nice to me maybe 2. I am located in Maryland - in the metropolitan Baltimore area.

Sorry if you already posted your location, I couldn't seem to find it, but then again I'm pretty tired today and might not be reading everything as clearly as I usually do.

Rnd210

Cavy Slave
I would be interested in one of your babies too depending on where you are located.

crazyaboutpigs

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Good luck! Hope all works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.