Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Possible painful stone...a Actigall® (Ursodiol) to help?

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
Meloxicam is not a medication that I would change the dose on or give every 12 hours. It is extremely hard on the GI tract. It also has to have time to cycle through the hepatic and renal systems. Giving doses every 12 hours doesn't allow this to happen. I would caution against meloxicam twice daily. Buprenorphine is a great drug for break through pain and given a lower doses will cut back on the sedative effects. I'm not wanting to start a debate about Meloxicam, but it's a drug with potentially severe side effects. And I don't think it's worth the risk. Don't get me wrong it's great for its anti-inflammatory and pain properties.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Regardless, many people have given it that way. And to me, it's a risk I'm willing to take to avoid the zonking effects of buprenorphine, or allowing the pig to be in pain for 6-8 hours before it can be given the next dose.

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
To each there own. I have seen the devastating effects of over dosing with Meloxicam. But if it's a risk you want to take that is your prerogative. I just think that people should be aware of the side effects before they are told to go off label by a random person on a forum.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I believe I suggested that he talk to his vet about it. That's hardly telling someone "to go off label by a random person on a forum."

And no one has suggested overdosing with it. The way it gets commonly used when the dosage is split is to give half the recommended dosage, plus 10% of the half. That's a total of 10% more than the total daily dose, which hardly qualifies as an overdose.

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
Like I said that your prerogative to give 10% more daily. But it is still an off the label recommendation and one that should only be recommended by a veterinarian. Sorry that I have offended you, it wasn't my intention. I just wanted followers to make educated and veterinary recommended decisions.

snickers33

Cavy Gazer
Sadly, snickers had to be put down tonight. We were trying to get him to a vet and get an estimate tomorrow morning but he was in so much suffering and pain and could barely urinate.

We miss him so much already. Thanks for all your replies and trying to help!

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc....You are right I shouldn't have called @bpatters a "random person". I have found this forum to be very helpful. But it has been stated in many many threads that the "veterans" are very rude and judgemental. I apologize if I am someone that is comfortable to speak my mind. Don't get me wrong I respect and have actually changed many of the ways I look after my pigs based on what @bpatters has suggested. Yes I have worked in the veterinary industry for 17 years, and a part of our job is spent re-educating clients after the wrong information has been delivered to them. I have personably watch many animals suffer from the long term side effects of Meloxicam use as well as the short term side effects of over dosing. Meloxicam is a very useful drug when used properly, but very dangerous if not. Once again it was not my intent to offend anyone. I just felt if we are going to educate, the whole story should be told, so they can make an educated decision.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you lost Snickers.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm so very sorry you lost Snickers, RIP little one.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@CaseyB, I totally agree that long-term meloxicam can be very harmful, as can overdosing. And meloxicam was much more thoroughly tested on dogs than on guinea pigs, if it was even tested on them at all.

But they have to have something to control pain, and meloxicam is very widely prescribed for that purpose. It just doesn't keep them free of pain for 24 hours. And given all the problems that can happen when pigs stop eating, which they do when they're in pain, I'd far rather risk a slightly increased dose twice a day rather than a once a day dose that doesn't work. Besides, there's a range in the dosing recommendations, so if the vet has prescribed the minimum (which seems to be the usual practice), a 10% increase doesn't take it beyond the recommended maximum dose.

There's an interesting thread on it at GL, here: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35093

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
Thanks for sharing @bpatters. It was an interesting slightly frightening thread. I honestly do trust your opinion and experience and that may work for controlling pain.

My biggest concern was outlined in that thread. There are followers on that thread that are stating outrageous doses, they may not be recommending it but some followers take it as a recommendation. That's why I said (and so did you) about getting an experienced veterinarians recommendation.

I have seen too many clients come into the clinic that say they got the dose or recommendation off the Internet and it cost them either a lot in veterinary bills or a deceased pet.

snickers33

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for your consolations and sympathies! My husband and I just loved him and it was so hard to lay him to rest but he is not in any more pain and we have so many wonderful memories!

We will definitely be getting another pig and sticking with a lower calcium diet and finding a good vet that has reasonable prices. It is important to be kind, gracious to posters and not to be judgmental or mean in responses...that is the last thing
posters need when posting about a sick animal.

God bless!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.