Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Poofa's weight

POOFA777

Cavy Slave
I have been weighing my guinea pig see for yourself...

July 3rd 2013
1yrs & 2 months
919 grams

July 29th 2013
1 yrs & 2 months
906 grams

August 16th 2013
1yrs & 4 months
926 grams

Sept 6th 2013 (today)
1yrs 4 months
946 grams

I'm TERRIFIED I have been panicking over this for an hour now usually from what I read sows are supposed to weigh between 700-900 grams and my

little ball of fatness refuses to go on a diet, I just wanted to know if this is bad and if it really is bad, I would like to know how to prevent her from

getting any fatter, what do you consider "fat" how chubby is your piggywhat is the fattest YOUR pig has been is my situation really that bad cause I'm

FREAKING out pleeeeease help. Thanks in advance :(

Re: Is she too fat???????!!!!!!

700-900? Really? I'd like to see where this was posted at. I have all boars, so IDK but I can honestly say that Gus is more like 1200 grams, Moe is right around 1000 grams and Henry and Niko are coming up on 800 grams each at 6 months old. I wouldn't say your pig is fat at all.

Those weights probably come from old veterinary books, and are considered to be very light. My two sows weigh in at around 1200-1300 grams, and I'm not about to put either one of them on a diet. Food is the main enjoyment they get out of life, and unless one of the develops a problem such as heart disease or arthritis that requires them to lose weight, I'm not about to put them on a diet.

If you are getting the weights from vet books like BP said, those are probably meant as average weights for lab guinea pigs. Those are pigs that are not fed a varied diet with fresh veggies and a comfortable home. Pet guinea pigs will weigh on average more than what you read so your pigs are definitely NOT fat.

Oh my goodness thank-you so much everyone I didn't put her on a diet I was thinking about it but didn't, she's still eating and is as chubby as ever THANK-YOU @aspecht @bpatters @CavyMama you helped A-LOT she now weighs 963 grams :3

Last edited:

One way to see if they are overweight is if their belly touches the ground when they run. My old boy Sparky weighed in at almost 1500 grams and his belly was never on the floor when he moved, he was just a really big boy! Piggies rarely need 'diets' so long as they are being fed the proper food and have opportunities to move around.

@Agrimony her belly definitely touches the floor when she is just standing and not moving but when she runs her belly isn't anywhere close to the ground

When she reaches 1300 grams, you can begin to worry about weight. Not before.

When she reaches 1300 grams, you can begin to worry about weight. Not before.

Good to know. My girl's highest has been 1130 so I will rest in peace now..

Thank-you everyone I'm not worried about her weight at all now :)

Last edited:
Updates on the Fat Little Princess :3 <3 *Pigtures Included*

Hi whoever is reading this I have been meaning to post updates on my Guinea Pig "Poofa", a very long while ago all the way in September I posted a Thread about her weight which was 946 grams which I thought was really bad well I have weighed her again and she gained quite a bit of weight but I think that she is alright :)

July 3rd 2013 1yrs & 2 months = 919 grams

July 29th 2013 1yrs & 2 months = 906 grams

August 16th 2013 1yrs & 3 months = 926 grams

September 6th 2013 1 yrs & 4 months = 946 grams

September 14th 2013 1 yrs & 4 months = 939 grams

And today: November 24th 2013 1 yrs & 6 months = 960 grams

Another reason why I think that she gained weight is because it's winter in Canada right now, and I guess it's in her instincts to store up fat for the winter.

Attachments

unnamed.jpg
Fatness updated :3 *Pictures Included*

Hi guys I haven't posted in a while and i just wanted to keep on updating on Poofa :) I remember the last time I made a post and that was all the way in September, while I was posting it I was freaking out at how "fat" Poofa was well now the little munchkin has gained weight again and I'm not the least bit worried and well just see her for yourself.

July 3rd 2013
1yrs & 2 months
919 grams

July 29th 2013
1 yrs & 2 months
906 grams

August 16th 2013
1yrs & 4 months
926 grams

Sept 6th 2013
1yrs 4 months
946 grams

Sept 14th 2013
1yrs 6 months
939 grams

November 24th 2013 (5 days ago)
1 yrs 6 months
960 grams

Attachments

1385338288419.jpg unnamed.jpg
Re: Fatness updated :3 *Pictures Included*

OMG I just the cat and the guineapig. Pigture SOOO CUTE..

Oooohhhhh mmyyyyy just died. That pig is precious but the kitty! I want one that nice!

Nope good thing :)

You can keep all your weight updates on this thread. No need to start a new one.

Ginger's weigh ranges between approximately 1030 and 1080. :)

Thanks everyone on the lovely comments and I don't know why this thing posted twice but oh well at least the second one has a picture with the cat in it :) and yes they do get along very well the cat started "cleaning" Poofa by licking her it was adorable :3 But to anyone who's worried about the cat she is a very skilled hunter we got the beautiful baby on the 19th which was only 12 days ago. The second she saw the piggy she became instantly interested and is always sitting on top of the cage. When I put the two together they fell in love the guinea pig didn't enjoy the hugging but she put up with it. Sadly I cannot put them together anymore because the cat thinks of the piggy as a toy :( So they can't hangout anymore their love is now forbidden :'(

So adorable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.