Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Please help me prevent mite reinfestation!

Furry's Friend

Cavy Slave
I tried to find out this information on my own without starting a thread, but I can't find what I need to know. Please help! Yesterday my itchy guinea pigs were treated for mites with injections of ivermectin at the vet. What do I need to do to their cage to properly clean it and prevent the mites from getting back on my girls?

Also, they go for their second, and last, set of shots at 14 days. I was reading that they are sometimes given third and fourth sets of shots. I believe I am treating the mite problem quickly. Only one pig has a little hair loss on the back of her ears. The only other signs were a little "dandruff" and more and more frequent scratching and biting of their fur. Will catching it early mean a third set of injections is not needed?

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
https://www.guinealynx.info/furmites.html
Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites

Clean your cage as you normally would, put in clean bedding, and then wipe down there hidey houses for good measure. I also wiped down the outsides of my pigs waterbottles and food bowls.

I used a mixture of 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water in a squirt bottle to clean their cage.

Furry's Friend

Cavy Slave
Thank you, MapleOwl18! I've read the link before, several times, but saw no details on how often to clean it during mite treatment. I usually do a complete cage cleaning once per week with a vinegar solution. Do I need to do it more often for the next few weeks? Thanks for the tip on wiping down the bottle and hideys.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I'd clean the cage out like twice a week. If you have cuddle cups or anything of the sort I would wash those once a week.
Otherwise just clean it as you normally would.

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
I basically took them to the vet, had them get their shot, cleaned out the cage when they got home, and then cleaned their cage at the regular time I normally would. So guineapigluver's recommendation makes sense.

Furry's Friend

Cavy Slave
Thanks a bunch! That sounds very manageable. I can't wait to see my poor girls stop scratching.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
When my pigs had mites the vet said to clean out their cage the day or two after the injections, presumably after the mites started dying off. Then just clean as you normally would. I used straight vinegar for that first cleaning then went to the half and half mixture.

Ivermectin injections should be 7-10 days apart, and there should be at least 2. I'd do more than that, but that's just me.

Furry's Friend

Cavy Slave
The Guinea Lynx page on mites that MapleOwl18 mentioned says 7-10 days. The Guinea Lynx page on ivermectin at Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin says to get the second treatment: at 7-14 days (see vet). So I wasn't sure which info to follow. My vet said 7-14 days was appropriate. Maybe I should move the 2nd injection up to 10 days?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Mite eggs do not survive off the host. You don't need to do a big cleaning of the cage unless there is wood hideys, or wood around as mite eggs can live in them.

The repeat doses of ivermectin kill off any newly hatching mite eggs. I recommend getting the 3 doses. 7 days between is best as 14 days gives the mites more time to hatch and grow anew

Furry's Friend

Cavy Slave
Thanks again everyone. I will go talk to the vet soon and see about setting up a different shot schedule.

Another thing I was wondering: Can guinea pigs get more mites when you put them outside for play time in warmer weather? The Guinealynx site says:
Transmission occurs primarily through direct contact with infested animals although eggs can be carried to them inadvertently
. Could the mites be in my yard from other small animals, such as rabbits or mice, that have passed through my yard? Hope these questions don't seem too ridiculous. I'm trying to learn quickly.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Mites are species specific, they can't catch mites that live on rabbits, cats, etc. In guinea pigs, mites lay dormant under the skin and can become active in times of stress or illness.

I wouldn't be letting the vet give shots, I'd have the vet do topical or oral treatment. Better for the pig all the way around and less painful. You really do need at least 3 treatments spaced about a week apart.

Furry's Friend

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much Ly&Pigs. I felt horrible watching them scream during the shots!! I wasn't looking forward to seeing that again. I will talk to the vet today or tomorrow. I wanted to do the treatment right the first time so hopefully these two guinea pig girls will never have to have another treatment for mites!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.