Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Please help me design a cage!

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Thanks! with the one you showed in post 18, I think it would be a bit hard to clean under the patio, and yes, my piggies would fight over the loft. Is it normal that if one of my pigs accidentally touches/bumps another pig’s bum, they receive a squeaking fit? Clover was just turning round in the loft, bumped into Maple and got ‘yelled’ at. Is it just because they are... umm... maturing??

Sorry if I’m being really indecisive, I just want a good design that won’t be frustrating for cleaning or retrieving piggies, and will have a good amount of floor space and a kitchen.
I was planning on folding down 1 end of the corflute of my 2x4 base and putting a 2x2 piece of corflute with 1 side missing on that end to make the 2x4 into a 2x6 Yaaaay!:)

Do you think the top storey will work, or should I change it to a 2x2 off one end? I am planning to put tunnels in the 2x6 so they can run through them, hideys in their loft, and food in the kitchen (duh :D).

How would you make a coroplast ramp with sides that is strong enough?
The one I have currently (pic in 1st post) bounces when they walk/charge up it, and it doesn’t have sides. I think it was an older version of the C&C cage as I bought it off gumtree. I would prefer not to order one from the guinea pig cages shop because postage costs a fortune (like twice - 3x as much as the product). I also don’t really want to bend grids, as they are really hard to get hold of in Aus, so I want to keep them flat for cage-building as you can’t un-bend them.

Thanks again!!!

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
I am making the cage this weekend (tomorrow) as I don’t have much homework. I have almost settled on this design: Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 5.58.40 pm.jpgYour thoughts?

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
I am making the cage this weekend (tomorrow) as I don’t have much homework. I have almost settled on this design: View attachment 73159Your thoughts?

I like this one a lot! Lots of floor space, no issue with cleaning under the loft because it's not overhanging. Great storage space idea and kitchen! The ONLY thing I would consider is the back corner of the L shape. I wanted to do a smaller L and someone mentioned it can be hard to get to the back of that corner. I did a mock up of it at home and I agreed, but this was also based on where my cage is and the fact that I need a covered cage. If you have the space I'm sure it will be fine for you, lots of people do L shapes I see :) But once you set it up you will know for sure. If it were me I'd roll with this idea. One day I will have to space to make something like this, really love that storage area.

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
I actually used coroplast to build my ramps. I love coroplast because it can be manipulated to make sides easily. Looks like you have fun times ahead in building. :)

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
That's a really cool cage! I can't wait to see the real thing! This whole thread is making me rethink my cage design. :)

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I was thinking....given that you have two off-sets, won't it be kinda wonky on a wall? The bulk of the cage will be 14" off the wall leaving a big gap. That would totally bug the crap outta me. But maybe you have a weird wall you're working with?

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
I was thinking....given that you have two off-sets, won't it be kinda wonky on a wall? The bulk of the cage will be 14" off the wall leaving a big gap. That would totally bug the crap outta me. But maybe you have a weird wall you're working with?

I think it's just the drawing making it look that way. The right side "offset" is actually a loft going straight up, it will be flush against the wall with the rest of the long run. Just the left side is an offset out for the kitchen.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the answers/opinions guys! I can’t wait to build it!

By the way @barbaramudge, here is that cage from another angle: :)Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 9.34.44 am.pngAlso, @80s_piggies, I think in the space I have (wall of playroom) there will be about 1 or 2 grids’ extra space at the end, so I should be able to reach the back corner from the other side.

Thanks again for al the replies!!

P.S. could someone direct me to a thread on how to make a corflute/coroplast ramp?

Thanks again!!!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Lol...that makes more sense. Sorry, my spacial relations skills are nil.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
With the ramp, do you need to put a piece of wire in it anywhere, because won’t the sides just flop straight down if you don’t support them? Do you thread it through one of the hollow tube-y things and then bend it? Thanks

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
I am currently tidying all the shelf tops in the playroom (how can there be so much stuff there?!) so that I can put the cage where it is meant to be. Also, I am hopefully going to get the corflute sometime next week. What are the rubber edging things that go on top of the corflute called? I think they would have them in Bunnings but I just need to know what to search for.

Thanks!

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Still tidying, cage looks like this so far: Photo on 21-03-2015 at 7.37 pm.jpgI still need to
a) finish clearing shelf surfaces so I can rearrange the shelves (3 to go)
b) rearrange the shelves
c) move cage to final position
d) take down 1x2 loft (currently in use) and build ground floor extension with grids
e) buy corflute and cut to size (base, loft and ??ramp??)
f) cut fleece to size, find more towels, maybe sew some liners
g) add pigs!

This will most likely take until partway into the holidays due to homework and end-of-term tests :(
Could someone please answer the previous posts 31 (how to make ramp) and 32 (rubber edge things)?
Thanks!

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
I didn't make my ramp that way but I know that for the edging on the plastic most use poster hangers. They have them at Wal-Mart and office supply stores or online. Like this one

(broken link removed)

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Look good so far! I can't wait to see your final product :)

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Thanks!
I also found a thread on how to make Sue’s ramp; (broken link removed)
Thanks for the info on the poster hangers @80s_piggies!
I’m off to revise acids and bases for science now bleeaurgh

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
We use coping to cover the edges. We had some laying around but I've seen it in the home improvement store. They sell it on a roll by the foot.

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave
I think the fourth & fifth ones offer the most hidey holey use of s six-panel wide space, (broken link removed) for 2 cavies, (broken link removed) for 3

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave
the last post of mine ^ was an answer to post (broken link removed) , I meant to reply with quote. Also, I shouldn't have used the # with the cage drawing numbers, as it created nonsense hyperlinks. Sorry, everyone, I'm still new here.

The 4'x8' sheet of coroplast I ordered is ready to p/u. I read here about the Target grids being unsafe, so I'm reluctant to get them at Walmart. I know we need the 9x9 hole grids, not the 8x8 hole ones, is there a certain manufacturer to avoid? Or an ingredient in the coating? I want to save money but safety is the primary concern. I know that Lowe's and Home Depot sell some, where do you get yours, and why?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.