Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pippa and Penelope want to say hi!

jukeboxcavy

Cavy Gazer
Hi, I just adopted two 5 week old female guinea pigs about a week ago. They aren't my first, but they are my first adoptees (I was ignorant before). Besides, I am certainly no expert and am glad that I've found this site. They live in a 2x5 cage lined with Fleece Flippers and a kitchen and it's filled with other fleece goodies all from this site. Here are some pigtures (please excuse the poop):

Pippa–outgoing, curious, tiny, and submissive

Penelope–dominant, calm, and shy

I do have a question: the rescue where I had gotten my current two have contacted me about another baby sow ready for adoption in about a month (a pregnant pig was surrendered there :rolleyes:) hoping that I could take her in since not many people adopt around here with all of the pet stores and breeders around, and I'm wondering if that'd be feasible to do? I know my cage is large enough, but I've been searching this site and haven't found anything about adding a baby guinea pig to a pair of "bonded" guinea pigs that are also babies. I also know how to do introductions thanks to the cavyspirit website, but just wasn't sure if it'd be a good idea. I'd love to add to my new family if the piggies can handle it. I just bought loads of KMS hay and pellets and there's plenty to go around. :)

I hope to post some more! Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Awww very cute!

I don't have advice since I am new to owning piggies, but wanted to chime in and say how adorable those fuzzies are!

Oh sooo cute!!

I can't foresee that there would be a problem since they are all so young. They will have to reestablish a dominance hierarchy, but that shouldn't be a problem. That hierarchy may change as they go through puberty anyway.

I would give the three of them a buddy bath, clean the cage thoroughly, and then put them in the cage. Baby cavies are SO cute! You are fortunate to have the room and time for three of them.

Thank you! I'm going to give it a shot because if it doesn't work, I do have room for another cage and the time/money for another pair if it comes down to it.

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. They are even more adorable in person.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.