Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Piggie Talk

Silver_mist

Cavy Slave
I don't *sniff* have any piggies...:(

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
@Silver_mist Neither do we (hubby and I), and I could really use their company. I'm alone in my house most of the time and can't work, but I'm months from being able to get piggies of my own. You're not alone. There are researchers (like yours truly) and non-cavy parent cavy lovers here too. Just make it a goal you can work towards. :)

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
@Greenbean Oddly, the homepage says that cage is big enough for about four, but the page that sells it says up to six o_O

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
@PigPandemonium That is odd. Thanks for pointing that out. Also, though- remember they're going by minimum numbers @Greenbean Piggies need as much room as we humans can afford to give them. That's why my cage is going to be so big. And, sticking with current plans, it will only cost me $22!

Did I forget to mention I posted to FreeCycle and Craig's List and got 20 free grids from CL for free? Additionally, I already had 9 grids from a small supply a friend gave to me a long time ago. You could try posting and see what comes up. You never know! You might get as lucky as me and build a HUGE cage for a small fraction of even the most common CC cost. :)

Tip: Remember to be specific! There are some grids that are 5 squares across by 5 squares down or 8 squares across by 8 squares down. These are two big and a piggy could easily get their heads caught. 9 square by 9 square is required.

I made sure to post that and the fact that I would strongly prefer black grids (the set of 9 is actually colored, but I've already figured out a way to use them without making my cage look tacky!), and you know what? I got exactly what I asked for! Also, I posted to CL expecting to pay a few dollars, at least, for what I got. The lady that had them was so nice! She gave them to me for free!

Last edited:

Silver_mist

Cavy Slave
Does anybody celebrate their piggies birthdays, If i get piggies i will, i'll give them 1/4 of a strawberry, a larger fleece forest, new toys, cool new fleece, extra floor time...

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
:D @Silver_mist Somehow I'm picturing you giving them more and more and more and more fleece forest every year. Pretty soon the whole cage will be forested and you won't be able to give them a bigger fleece forest any more! :D

I think you meant "cake" (strawberry) and presents, though. Still, that's funny! Gifting a larger fleece forest every year I mean. :D ROFL.

As a side note, I've seen people celebrate birthdays with their pets, as well as the other holidays of the year like Christmas and Easter.

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
Does anybody celebrate their piggies birthdays, If i get piggies i will, i'll give them 1/4 of a strawberry, a larger fleece forest, new toys, cool new fleece, extra floor time...

I celebrate all of my pet's birthdays, the day we brought them home, and all other holidays with them. I'm a crazy fur momma. :D

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
That's interesting. Celebrate the day you brought them home. I hadn't even thought of that one! How creative. :) What's it called? Home Anniversary?

cross

Cavy Slave
i have two female piggies kiki and sunshine they were very good today. they get along very well IMG-20120512-00738.jpg

cross

Cavy Slave
IMG-20120512-00738.jpgmy two beautiful girls kiki and sunshine

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
@cross Double post! :) Those two are so cute! I just wanna hug 'em up! :D

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the late post, I had to go to the store for a while. And the vet because my mamaws dog got hurt. :weepy:

@cross Double post. ;)

@CritterLuvva I could look, but I'm not sure if my dad would allow me to go pick them up. What exactly do you DO on craigslist? Did they ship you the grids, or did you have to pick them up? I'm not sure if my dad would be okay with that...
He is one of those over protective people and thinks that everyone you meet over
the internet are rapists or kidnappers or murderers, robbers, etc. Ugh, thats the reason I am probably going to have to order a cage. :( Also, I am going to have a 2x6 cage for 2 guineas. :D I think that might be enough room. :p I spent some time on paint...and this is my dream cage. <3

Dream Cage.jpg

@Silver_mist I would celebrate Beans birthday, but she was just born this year. ;P Aw, maybe someday you will get a piggy. :( And I am most DEFINITELY celebrating Christmas! She is going to be one spoiled piggy, her and Trinity. :3

@PigPandemonium Woah, I never noticed that, maybe you should tell an admin or something? :eek:

Last edited:

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
That's probably a bit over the top. Not everyone online is dangerous. With that being said, you should be careful who you meet from on-line and how. My Dad re-married once and it was someone he met online.

CL is a listing of usually private homes that have goods for sale, or sometimes free. Kind of like Free Cycle or a big, online yard sale. Your Dad (or Mom?) could go with a friend and be safe, without any of you kids of course. No need to go inside their home. They should be willing to just hand them the stuff at the door. I would talk to your parents about posting and/or looking through posts and have them do the contacting if their willing. If not, you can still get cubes at stores and coroplast/corrugated plastic from Mom and Pop stores.

I wish you luck! Sounds like your having a hard time finding every thing you need, being there's only so much you can do. :)

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Others have noticed it to and pointed it out, so I think it would just annoy them if I did too. xD I think it may just be that they are trying the sell them, so they market that it can hold up to 6 guinea pigs. Though I'm not saying that in a bad way, I'd be better for someone to get that cage and put 6 guinea pigs in it, rather then a small pet store cage where they don't have room to move.

PiggyPassion

Cavy Slave
@Greenbean Your blog has inspired me to start my own! ❤️

(broken link removed)

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I started a guinea pig blog at one point, but after about 2 posts I just got bored and stopped it. xD I did that with a youtube I had too. I got to about 100 subs then randomly got bored and just stopped posting videos everyday.

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
@PiggyPassion
Aw, I will follow yours! :3

@PigPandemonium
I used to do game videos, like lets plays and things. But I got bored, and also I got Bean, so I don't want to do the vids anymore.

@CritterLuvva
I have finally found everything I need to build the cage! I can get the stuff this weekend and build the cage. Also, I might get Trinity Monday or Tuesday, depends on what my dad says. :D

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
That's interesting. Celebrate the day you brought them home. I hadn't even thought of that one! How creative. :) What's it called? Home Anniversary?

It doesn't really have a cool name. I just call it our anniversary. ;)

Home anniversary sounds cooler!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.