Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Piggie Talk

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Hi! My name is Catherine and I am 14 :)

So, how was your day? What are your piggies doing right now?
It was good ;) Spent the day washing and shrinking fleeces for my guinea pig cage bedding! My piggie is probably napping right now!

Hows the weather? What are you doing today?
Hot and sunny for once here in South West of England. It meant Broccoli my piggie could go out and run around in his giant run on the grass!

What does your cage look like?
I'm not very proud of my cage at the moment, it's a hutch :eek:ptimist: - but I will hopefully be building a C&C cage soon!

What does your guinea pigs look like?
My guinea pig Broccoli looks like this:

My guinea pig Carrot, who died a few days ago looked like this:

RIP my gorgeous guinea xXx

Whats your guinea pigs names?
Broccoli and (RIP) Carrot. ;)

How many guinea pigs do you have?
I'm now down to one :weepy:

@Greenbean That's such a sad story. I'm really sorry that that's happened to such a nice, caring person like you. I really hope it all gets better in the end. Just be strong and you'll pull through.

Also, I'd like to say - get the C&C cage! It's way cheaper, more easy and fun to build, much more spacious, you can modify it however and whenever you like! Also the hutch looks too small for 1 guinea pig, let alone 2.

Bean is a very cute guinea pig. I love the photos!

Oh and no, 2 females will rarely fight. Even males will usually stay friends for life. You'll have to introduce them properly though, in neutral territory such as a bath tub. Put up a wire mesh wall to separate them. They will sniff each other and get used to having company. If it is going well, you can soon take away the mesh and let them have physical contact, under your constant supervision. Have a pair of thick leather gloves aside incase they fight as you will not want your bare hands getting in the way of angry piggie jaws. If they do not get on, it is often suggested to bath them separately so they smell the same.
Before putting the new piggler in Bean's cage be sure to thoroughly clean it out with disinfectant and water to make the territory neutral.
:)

Last edited:

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
@Kelsie I'm going to get a C&C cage very soon. Well...I hope I am. I have heard they are super fun to build. I am going to keep extending my cage, getting new grids and such, and pretty soon it will be guinea pig heaven! I am only going to have two guinea pigs in there, because my dad won't let me get more than two. :( I hope I can get a second story on the C&C cage I am getting soon. I love 2nd stories for some reason. They just look so neat! :3

I hope my mom and I start talking again, I miss her so much.

@CathiiPiggie Your guinea pigs are absolutely gorgeous! I'm so sorry for your loss. Bean and I send you hugs!

Frapplove

Cavy Slave
Since today is Mother's Day and I am a mother of six (four guinea pig girls and two sugar glider boys) I had a picnic in the park with some friends and my two boys Bandit and Tim :) And, one of my guinea pigs is a mother as well, so she also gets to celebrate today! ❤️ But it's really hot outside so we are taking shelter in the relative coolness of the house! I doled out frozen water bottles earlier but I don't think anyone really needs them; their room isn't in the bright sun. Maybe Big Frapp (the picture under my name), she's got a layer on her...

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
@Frapplove Cute! I bet it was fun celebrating mothers day with your lovely piggies! I had fun today too. We didn't go outside though, it was raining. :(
You have sugar gliders? Those are adorable!

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
@Greenbean and @CritterLuvva Four piggies lived in there until about a week ago when one of them, Phoenix, died. I also think that the cage guide lines are a little off, and that pigs should have more room then said. (There was a part of a post where everyone was talking about that) If you think about it, in the wild guinea pigs have the whole world as their cage. So instead of just trying to meet the guide lines, I try to just give them the biggest cage I can fit in my room. :) lol

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
@PigPandemonium My bedroom isn't that big, so I'm going to probably just meet the guidelines for a cage big enough for two guinea pigs. :D

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
@PigPandemonium Just checking, but... You know we were joking, right? That's why I laughed immediately after I said it. (You'll recall the :D)

As for me, I want to get 3 piggies (currently have none) and my cage will be a 3x5 with 2x5 loft. It will take up at least half their room, so hubby wanted to make sure I could fit in there and wants me to make it smaller... I don't think so! It's their room any way. Throw in a saucer chair, possibly a small ottoman/stool, and I'll be happy for space! They'll have floor time too, so any thing I put in that room will be piggy approved (meaning safe).

The short end of the stick- minimum specifications are too small for me too. The site recommends you give as much space as possible any way- and that's exactly what I intend to do! :)

Out of curiosity, do you plan on getting more piggies in the future? Sorry to hear of your loss. :(

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
@CritterLuvva I'm so jealous! You get to have 3 guineas. I want about 4. But my dad will only let me get 2. :(

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
Maybe when you're all grown up and have a good income, you can get as many as you want too. :)

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
I think I might be able to talk him into letting me get 3. ;)
But I have to wait until I get a C&C cage, then I can get Trinity. But 2 weeks is to long. :'(

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
I was thinking about getting these grids: (broken link removed)

But I might have to order coroplast, because my mamaw won't drive me to Tennessee so I can get some. :(

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
@Greenbean In the mean time, you still have more piggies then I do. Remember that I don't have any yet, and will have to wait several months before we're able to get any. I keep hoping and praying things will settle down and we'll have a good income. :)

Have you made any calls to Mom and Pop stores in your area to see if they have any?

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
@CritterLuvva No I haven't looked around for Mom and Pop stores. :(

My mamaw and I have decided that we are just going to order this cage: (broken link removed)

:)

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Yes I knew you were joking. ;) I do plan on getting one more pig, as I want to stay at four, but I may get more than that in the future. :D

PopePopsicleIV

Cavy Slave
so, how was your day? What are your piggies doing right now?lol​

My day has been pretty good so far, My piggies are cuddling in their house :]

hows the weather? What are you doing today? :)
I havent been out yet, but it looks like more beautiful weather :D YAY!​

what does your cage look like? :?:
I used to have a finished loft, but I built this cage for Sugar my first guinea pig, but she never used or liked the upper deck, so I took it apart and threw away the coroplast -.- I'm buying new coroplast today, though to rebuild :D

051420121174.jpg
what does your guinea pigs look like? :tearsofjo
This is Pignatius (sometimes called Iggy-Pig) in the tunnel I sewed for them last night :]
051420121176.jpg
This is Pigson dragging hay to the pigloo
051420121183.jpg
This was Shug a few weeks before she died, RIP :[
011220121047.jpg
whats your guinea pigs names? :eek:ptimist:

Pignatius Thistlewhite and Pigson Ablanket. I used to have a girl named Sugar Magnolia but she passed several months ago :[

how many guinea pigs do you have? :cheerful:

Two right now :]​

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
@PigPandemonium I'm ordering a C&C cage big enough for 6 piggies! Who knows, I might have six piggys pretty soon. ;)

@PopePopsicleIV Shug is adorable, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know she had a fantastic piggy life. I'm sure she is stuffing herself full of veggies at the rainbow bridge. xoxo

Greenbean

Cavy Slave

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
Some do, some don't. By definition, a Mom and Pop store is just a small store that can not be found in other places OR has only a few stores- not several. The big chain stores would be like PetSmart, PetCo, KMart, Walmart, Meijer, McDonald's, Burger King, etc. If they're known only in your town and maybe just a couple of others, that's exactly who you're looking for. While I feel it's important for any business to have a web site because, in this day and age, it just makes them more accessible, it does not mean that they all do.

Greenbean

Cavy Slave
Oh, sometimes on the websites they have store locators, so I was going to look for the store that way. :3

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
Every one is in the phone book. You could look at whitepages.com to see what you can find there. It's not that they don't have web sites, just that some smaller stores don't seem to see the need. ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.