Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Petsmart

• Thread starter Love_my_piggies
  • Start date
I am glad that we don't have any big chain pet stores around here, because I would be complaining to them all the time. I believe our pet store is different. It is locally owned and the only pets they sell regularly are birds, mice and fish. They do not buy guinea pigs from breeders, but will take them if someone has a litter that they can't (or don't want) to get rid of, and they sell them for about 1/4 the price of any other per store I have ever been to. I should note that we do not currently have a shelter around here. Also, they do not hire anybody who smokes (respiratory problems for animals) and they appear to be very knowledgable on all animals, not just the ones that they have (they only have three employees). I personally feel very comfortable going to this pet store because when I first got my guineas I almost bought fancy food for them (seeds and all), but the employees there told me that this was very bad for them and they took me around the store and showed me what I should be buying them (hay, bedding, food, ect..) I wish that all pet stores were like this. I realize that it is still bad that they sell guinea pigs, but I feel that they are at least in this business for more than money and that they truly do care.

I just thought I'd share this with all of you...

I recently adopted a guinea pig from one of the adoption fairs at Petsmart. I went to ask the vet from Banfield in Petsmart a question about guinea pigs. After going around to all of the vets, the woman at the front desk responded with " We don't know anything about guinea pigs. We actually only take care of cats and dogs, mostly." I thanked them for thier time and left thinking how STUPID that is if Petsmart is going to sell everything else and promote their vets and offer a "vet guarantee" that the animals are healthy. How can they guarantee they are healthy if they don't know anything but cats and dogs?

Anyway, I just received a packet from Petsmart...thanking me for adopting and offering a pet insurance plan for my new guinea pig with their vet. How dumb do they think I am? Like I would pay $30 a month for insurance to a vet that knows NOTHING about guinea pigs. I can't help but chuckle at their stupidity.

Yes, it's a way of making people feel better about petsmart. Basically, fake icing on a fake doughnut. Pretty sad.

They wanted me to take my newly adopted pigs in for a vet visit and gave me some coupon for like $20 off. My dad said it would be way more than that for a checkup and since they were very healthy it would be a waste of money.

oh yes I forgot about the pet insurance...they tried to get me into that scam as well.

Bottom line is: STAY AWAY FROM BANFIELD VETS!!! Total rip off in the worse way! Like I stated earlier, as I sat out for hours waiting in the waiting area, I heard some people being charged almost 500 for services...and it was more than just a few that should tell you something. But stupid me I sat there and waited to see what my damages would be and bam I was socked with a estimate of almost 400.00 when she needed a simple shot to cure her I have been through this before I already knew.
It really makes me furious...I hate these type of petstores!~

Love_my_piggies said:
I just thought I'd share this with all of you...

I thanked them for thier time and left thinking how STUPID that is if Petsmart is going to sell everything else and promote their vets and offer a "vet guarantee" that the animals are healthy. How can they guarantee they are healthy if they don't know anything but cats and dogs?
I don't know about your Petsmart, but the one in my city uses one of the local exotic vets for their animals as well as for their vet guarantee; not Banfield.

Poe

Well both of the ones that I've been to in my city use Banfield

That is messed up. I dont understand people like that. But I will be looking for pet insurance for all my pets though. Cause I have 22 piggies, 2 bunnies, 2 gerbals, and 1 dog.

AngelsCavies said:
That is messed up. I dont understand people like that. But I will be looking for pet insurance for all my pets though. Cause I have 22 piggies, 2 bunnies, 2 gerbals, and 1 dog.
Lol with that many, I would definately look into insurance, just one piggy can be expensive, but with 22 !! Thats awesome.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. She seemed to be very sick and it sounds as though she would have died regardless. Take heart at knowing that she died in your loving hands - not in a cold lonely cage, after having at least a little time of love with you. You made the end of her life worth something and for that you should be proud!

I could go on a rant, but I just wanted to let you know how special you are for giving her love in the end. I wish all people could be so self-less. Alot of people would have just dumped her back at the store.

*tears* thank you so much baby bear. I miss her so much, but like you said, I can take comfort in knowing that she was very much loved and that I tried all that I could. She is in piggy heaven and will always be in my heart. Its amazing how much such a little life can impact your heart.

You know, it's funny. I've only had my fellas for about one and half months and they are SO funny. I'm always looking for stuff for them to play on and with during floor time. I can't wait to build my new C&C cage (coroplast is coming in this week!). They do get into your heart really quick!

love your are right on it's amazing how much such a little life can impact your heart. I had a little one for just 3 weeks. she was only 3 weeks old. She either had birth defect or injuries of some kind. she passed away in my arms while I cried and talked to her. Her name is Holly and she was born just few days before christmas. she and I became best buddies since she was born. she was never afraid to come near me, eat out of my hands, and never run from me. She was special.

I'm so sorry Angel. But just like my little girl, she had someone that loved her very much and she wasn't alone when she passed. She and my little one were in loving, safe, warm arms

You got that right.

When I got my guinea pig, they wouldn't even let me hold him at first to check him out and see if he had normal visible signs of some good health. I had to tell the person off and tell them straight out that "I'M THE ONE PAYING FOR THIS, NOT YOU!" and that "I'M NOT GOING TO PAY FOR A GUINEA PIG THAT COULD BE ILL OR ALREADY DYING!!"
So they finally let me check him out after having to raise hell and have the manager come over to see what the problem was. But even after checking him out, he still had an eye infection, which to this day you can tell how badly it damaged his eye in the long run.
I was so pissed off about it (still am), but there's nothing you can do about it unfortunately. One would think you'd at least get your money back to help pay for those vet bills and antibiotics!
Live and learn I guess... I would have adopted from someone trustworthy, but no one within a 1,000 mile radius from my house, breeds cavies. This place sucks... so do pet stores.

~Chris S.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.