Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Petsmart

• Thread starter Love_my_piggies
  • Start date

Elliepom

Cavy Slave
Squeakers is BEAUTIFUL! I would love to find a dapple like her!
Love_my_piggies said:
Hey,
just thought I would share some pictures with you all.

The first one is of my little one that died in December...Pipsqueak. She is with my other girl, Oinker Rose

The next one is our newest addition. Squeakers...she just loves Oinker.

The last one is Oinker taking a little rest...her life is just so hectic.

I think the three of them would have had so much fun. I miss Pipsqueak but I am glad that I got to be with her even if it wasn't for very long. She certainly found a way into my heart.

yataebo

Cavy Slave
First let me say that I am so sorry for all the pain and grief that petsmart has put you through.

I to have a similar story about Petsmart I didn't buy my piggies there but I did buy a hamster there and I went through hell with the first two I purchased they both had wettail and died, my third one was just as sick and I nursed him back to health on my own plus I had to buy all new cages and etc. cost me quite a bit of extra money. I will never forget how Petsmart treated me, like I was a complete idiot and I am at fault not them. I finally contacted the corporate office. They replied to me by having the store manager contact me and offer me a refund for the current hamster I had which was a whopping 20.00. I spent money on cages new food bowls and medicine and etc. The wet tail came from the store and its very contagious. I learned a very good lesson and I know all about wettail now...lol I did so much research I felt so bad for this little guy because he was suffering. The store employees don't seem to understand these are small creatures capable of fear and pain.

I also would not recommend anyone to visit the Petsmart Animal Clinic the one by me is called Banfield Animal Hospitial they are the worst for "ripping innocent people off" I will never take my dog there again after the experience I had. I won't go into here but take my advice. I wouldn't buy your animals at Petsmart or visit the vet. For Petsmart its about the money not the animals!

Angel
(broken link removed)

Love_my_piggies

Cavy Slave
Angel, I'm sorry for your loss and grief as well. I know how you feel when you said they treated you like it was your own fault. They made me feel like I had done something wrong to my little girl and they even told me to 'be more careful this time' Can you believe that? I hope you and your little one(s) are doing great and good luck.

Elliepom

Cavy Slave
Actually, I can vouch for the overcharging from banfield. When I worked for the Petsmart petshotel, I learned that the Banfield chain of pet hospitals are franchises. I spoke to our Dr. on several occassions, and he made it very clear that he was over charging in a lot of ways. First he told me that he would perscribe medications for "possible health threats" meaning that they were not entirely necessary. He would charge for every little aspect of visits, such as disposal of syringes...and so on. Beware of Banfield. Its not a good place.

yataebo said:
First let me say that I am so sorry for all the pain and grief that petsmart has put you through.

I to have a similar story about Petsmart I didn't buy my piggies there but I did buy a hamster there and I went through hell with the first two I purchased they both had wettail and died, my third one was just as sick and I nursed him back to health on my own plus I had to buy all new cages and etc. cost me quite a bit of extra money. I will never forget how Petsmart treated me, like I was a complete idiot and I am at fault not them. I finally contacted the corporate office. They replied to me by having the store manager contact me and offer me a refund for the current hamster I had which was a whopping 20.00. I spent money on cages new food bowls and medicine and etc. The wet tail came from the store and its very contagious. I learned a very good lesson and I know all about wettail now...lol I did so much research I felt so bad for this little guy because he was suffering. The store employees don't seem to understand these are small creatures capable of fear and pain.

I also would not recommend anyone to visit the Petsmart Animal Clinic the one by me is called Banfield Animal Hospitial they are the worst for "ripping innocent people off" I will never take my dog there again after the experience I had. I won't go into here but take my advice. I wouldn't buy your animals at Petsmart or visit the vet. For Petsmart its about the money not the animals!

Angel
(broken link removed)

yataebo

Cavy Slave
Omigosh, that just makes me so furious. I knew they were "trying to rip me off" I have had five shar pei's and I know exactly what they need when their skin becomes red and itchy usually in the spring. Its a simple shot and it takes care of it for the rest of the year. But they were adding all sorts of stuff to my invoice like Vit E pills, I can't remember off the top of my head what else but it was all just a bunch of stuff they don't need. I finally went to my regular visit he did it all for 70.00 they were going to charge me like 340.00 or something like that...it was just a complete joke. Oh not to mentioned I waited for an entire four hours to see the doctor, I should have sent them a bill for my time! LOL
I saw people with the dogs paying bills of 400.00+ and I was becoming leary of them while I waited they were raking in the money.

Its really sad when its just the money not the animal!!! I told the doctor what she could do with her over priced estimate and I walked out. Then they actually had the nerve to send me a bill for like 35.00 for a office visit oh yea I will pay you 35.00 for me to sit in your waiting room for four hours...I wrote a letter and never heard back from them, guess they really don't need my 35.00 when so many others are being ripped out.
Maybe we need to spread the word about Petsmart/Banfield!

I just might do something on my web site about it, I need to find out what I can and can't do so I don't get in any trouble.
LOL

kavykritter

Cavy Slave
hey guys, i have a question regarding petsmart, our lacal petsmarts work with local rescue groups and only ADOPT out animals with appproval from the agency the animals belong to, what do you guys think of that. (it applies to all of their animals)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's really awesome, and I wish that's what all pet stores would do. Thank them for it!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
hey guys, i have a question regarding petsmart, our lacal petsmarts work with local rescue groups and only ADOPT out animals with appproval from the agency the animals belong to, what do you guys think of that. (it applies to all of their animals)

It's bull as long as they keep SELLING those same animals in their stores. It's pure marketing whooha and nothing else.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I thought that kavykritter was saying they don't sell, and that they only adopt. If they're still selling, then I agree that isn't so good. Clarification, please? Thanks!

Love_my_piggies

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit said:

It's bull as long as they keep SELLING those same animals in their stores. It's pure marketing whooha and nothing else.
Exactly... the petsmart here also had adoption fairs but still sells guinea pigs and everything else. They just want some good press.

Speaking of adoptions, I went there yesterday and adopted a little one. I had been keeping my eye on her and her friend for a few weeks and saw that her friend was adopted out and she was not so I went in as soon as they opened and now she's at home with me. I'm so excited! Hopefully she will get along with my other two, but if not, I'll just put her in the upper story of the cage.
If anyone else in Colorado is looking to adopt, they have quite a few guinea pigs and they are all adorable. (broken link removed)

yataebo

Cavy Slave
My petsmart also does a adoption clinic around once a month. BUT it doesn't change the fact that they are still selling the animals and are not probably training their employees. I once heard an employee tell someone all they needed was a small 10 gallon aquarium to house a guinea pig!!!!!!

Bottom line is: Its about the Money, thats all they care about...sales...sales...sales
I wish we had more pet stores in my area that sold they hay I have to buy weekly.

We also have the Pet Mart but they are just as bad, and the employees there are sooooo rude they usually have about five piggies in a 10 gallon aquarium. The employees are not trained or knowledgeable, I have asked questions just to see how much knowledge they have. I was told by one employee "I really don't know much about the guinea pigs"!!! But if someone walks in to purchase one they can take the money!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Ok, sorry I mistook what you had said. Yes, I totally agree that that is wrong. Aargh, I think that's just a cheap way for them to draw people in, touting their "we adopt animals!" slogan. Cheap advertising.

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
I once had a person in a petstore (Pets Paradise here in Australia) tell me that his brother had gone to South America where they use guinea pigs as food, and that they taste just like pork. Thank you, I just really needed that mental imagine as I'm cuddling my new piggie. Nice sales technique there.

muffin_401

Cavy Slave
We don't have a PetSmart here, but we have a Petland... I know that they work with our local SPCA to adopt out the dogs and cats that have been at the shelter for a while... but as for thier guinea pigs, rabbits, birds, ferrets, etc. they are all housed in REALLY small "tanks" (these are even smaller than your typical "pet store cage"). They have no tops on them, so eveyone can poke and prod all the animals in there and never give them a moments peace. They generally house 6 or 7 piggies in ONE 'tank' (they seperate the males and females but who knows if they actually sexed them right). Over all I'm not happy with Petland.

I bought my little girl from a pet store, but I do know the owner... and his animals are treated properly... there was no real transition when I brought her home... she had no problems with me picking her up... nothing. They did inform me when I was originally looking at the piggies, that she is pregnant. They showed me who the father was (it was the only boar that they had). They showed me how to sex them... what to feed them... (they kinda missed out on the housing part, I had to find that out on here) but overall I was impressed with them... mind you if I plan on getting more pigs I will go to the SPCA and look over their animals first... cause I know most of them stay there for a REALLY long time...

yataebo

Cavy Slave
We have a petland here in Cincy too. I used to shop there for my bird food, guinea pig and hamster food. They have all their food in these big containers and you bag it yourself. Well I about freaked out when I opened the lid to some hamster food and the inside of it was crawling with roaches!!!!! yuck.....I just can't buy from there now I am to scared of getting them in the bag and bringing them in my home!
The stores are the same way, everything is open and the parakeets and cockatiels are scared to death...when can they sleep in peace????? Always on the alert of someone hurting you. The piggies are the same way open small cages, the water bowls (not bottles) are disgusting, I have yet to see the water clean in any cage in that store!

I once went in to buy a fish for my tank and waited in the back while the employees played cards at the front register. I am fed up with Petland, oh and they are the ones who put the dogs in the small window type cages and they have feces all over the cage and have no choice but to walk in it they have no where to go!

I just hope more people are becoming more aware of the rescue organizations that are out there and the SPCA has so many animals that needs home! Don't shop at Petland consider the rescue organizations and the SPCA.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
I would report that petshop, yataebo.

Trixie

Cavy Slave
OMG that is a horrible story I am sooo sorry for your loss.. The petco here sells piggies..and Petbarn? I think the other one that sells piggies..I got my second piggie from petbarn.. Twinkle is a baby . Princess is older and I got her from a locally owned pet store.. I can tell the differance in the 2 piggies.. Princess is used to being handled and doesn't try to wiggle out of your hands once you catch her.. but Twinkle does.. she is scared to death if I try to handle her.. poor thing..

yataebo

Cavy Slave
RubyPiggie2 said:
I would report that petshop, yataebo.
I did complain to the corporate office via email I really hope it will open their eyes to the store and make some changes.
We can only hope so for the pitful animals that live in that enviroment day after day.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
You need to report the store to your local animal control, the corporate office will do nothing

yataebo said:
I did complain to the corporate office via email I really hope it will open their eyes to the store and make some changes.
We can only hope so for the pitful animals that live in that enviroment day after day.

yataebo

Cavy Slave
You are right...I have not heard anything back from them.

I should contact PETA and they will have someone go in and investigate it.
If I was a pet store I would not want Peta on my bad side they can ruin your reputation in the petstore industry.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.