Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Parents wont get cage

drowningindemon

Cavy Gazer
I have two boars. My parents wont let me get them a cage so they can be together. Because they think the one we have is big enough and want to get rid of the smaller one that one of the pigs is in. The one they think both can fit in can barley hold my one pig :C. I dont know what to do. They squeak to eachother and seem lonley. My dad keeps saying to put both in one cage but i keep saying no. My pigs will have to be seperated if he does not let me get a new one :C:?:

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I have the same problem..... My parents won't get me a bigger cage. And I have three adult boars in a cage that isn't even big enough for one!! At least they don't fight

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can you save money and buy materials to build your own cage?
A C&C cage is not expensive to build. You might even find free materials on Craigslist.

drowningindemon

Cavy Gazer
mine do sometimes

drowningindemon

Cavy Gazer
i have like no money :C and my dads a doctor and always wasting money on what ever so idk why he wont buy this.idk. :C i dont want to be selfish

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
You can earn some money, perhaps? Offer to babysit, petsit, clean houses, mow lawns, gather leaves/sticks from lawns, etc. Make posters and whatnot to advertise. Sell your old clothes and things at a yard sale in your lawn. Make crafts and sell them.

If you can't get cheap materials, improvise! See if there's an old shower curtain or closet shelving in your garage. Check with the neighbors to see if they have any. Be creative--in the few weeks before I could build my C&C, I had my pigs in a corral made of boxes and plastic tubs. Could you convert anything in your house to cage materials? Check the closets and see if you could sacrifice some storage space and use the shelving for a cage.

If nothing else, you could ask for a cage or materials for Christmas. Be VERY specific about what you need, and it might happen. It'll suck to have to give up a few presents, but your piggies' happiness will be worth it, eh?

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
Craigslist may also be a good place find people giving away cages for free as well. If you find the right one, you may be able to use it to attach to your current cage in order to expand it. Or, at the very least, you may find a slightly bigger cage to tide you over in the meantime.

drowningindemon

Cavy Gazer
I don't celebrate Christmas lol. I started selling clay figurines go my family and moms friends so that's cool. I printed like a 23 page report on guineapigs so my dad is thinking about it. Has to ask my mom. thanks for all the suggestions!

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Yay! Keep us updated on how it goes :D

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't celebrate Christmas lol. I started selling clay figurines go my family and moms friends so that's cool. I printed like a 23 page report on guineapigs so my dad is thinking about it. Has to ask my mom. thanks for all the suggestions!

I had to laugh about him having to ask your mom....... Sounds like my husband, always telling my kids to ask me..... haha .... Mom always has to be the bad guy ...

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Explain it to them that the pigs living in the small cages is like us living in a small bathroom. And just because they sell small cages doesn't mean it is right. Maybe with pliers and zipties you can somehow break apart the cages and rig them to be one large cage. Even drilling holes in the bases to tie them together. It will be a patch work but if the size is good, it is the important part until they get you and good size.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
When I first got two pigs, I didn't do enough research ahead of time and I had much too small of a cage. I had to save money for my c&c cage but this is what I did in the mean time.
Do you have an online program called Freecycle in your area? I posted wanted ads for guinea pig cages and I got 3 of the small superpet cages for free. The way they are constructed, you can take off the side wires and zip tie the cages together. There will be ridges in between the cages where the pigs will have to jump over the plastic base of the two cages but you can build a bridge or cut the plastic if you have the right tools. My pigs preferred to jump over them instead of using the bridge I made them. It looks a little silly and patched together but it works as a temporary and possibly free cage. I hope that all made sense.

PopAndFizz

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Same Issue Here.
Im waiting for a 2 weeks or so to get a c&c cage!

drowningindemon

Cavy Gazer
:D lol, now same to me too. Cant wait!

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Yay so glad you convinced your parents! Your piggies will thank you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.