Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss One out of three guinea pigs died- what to do now?

olive_

Cavy Slave
I was given a five-year-old guinea pig. Her name was Bella. For about three years after I got her she lived by herself in a store bought a cage, this was before I researched about guinea pig care. When I realized Bella shouldn't be alone, I bought a midwest guinea pig habitat and I went out and got Cleo. Bella and Cleo got along instantly, probably because Bella had been so lonely and Cleo was only a baby. I was so happy with them that I decided on getting Nugget a few weeks later after building a C&C cage. Nugget never had the connection like Bella and Cleo did but they all got along very well. However about a week and a half ago, Bella died in her sleep. She was nine years old. I thought because Cleo and Nugget are around the same age, about a year now, that they would be okay because they had each other. But I've noticed that Cleo is being very reserved and isn't talking to me at all. She's always hiding in her castle and I don't see her come out unless I come with greens. Nugget, on the other hand, seems totally normal. She's out and about, wheeking and talking to me. I can't tell if Cleo is eating and drinking or not because Nugget is always eating and drinking and I never see Cleo out. But I still have to fill hay racks and food bowls daily. I'm worried about Cleo and looking for advice. Should I look at getting another guinea pig? Or do I need to give Cleo more time?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss of Bella. She lived a long life at nine years old!

Cleo has a relatively new addition to the family, and on top of that she has lost her buddy from when she was a tiny pig. I'm sure shes had a lot of change she doesnt understand, and it scares her.

Why dont you try changing everything in their cage around? New bedding too. Making everything new to both of them may make them draw closer together, as with everything changed the one constant would be each other. A new beginning, if you will.

olive_

Cavy Slave
Okay I'll definitely try rearranging their cage. But Cleo and Nugget have been cagemates for a year now- plus Bella up until around two weeks ago. Is that not enough time to be considered family?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Okay I'll definitely try rearranging their cage. But Cleo and Nugget have been cagemates for a year now- plus Bella up until around two weeks ago. Is that not enough time to be considered family?

Absolutely, I was under the impression that the time frame was shorter. I just felt that rearranging everything for a new begining for them both might be beneficial for Cleo, since she seems to be the one having difficulty with Bellas' passing.

joyknights

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry to hear about your loss, maybe Cleo was shocked by the sudden death of Bella. Keep an eye on her to see how she cope up as time goes by.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.