Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated One Lonely Piglet

librarychick

Cavy Slave
Hey folks, it's been a while! :)

Two weeks ago our older pig passed away. It wasn't a surprise at all, except for maybe that she held on so long. Willow was 6 years old, but last January the vet told me she likely wouldn't make another 3 months - well, she made a year. She was happy and eating well right up until the end, which is about the best I could ask for.

However, I'm now left with a dilemma. Molly.

Molly is 4 years old, and has always had an older pig or two around (When I got her she was our third pig, last January we lost Ruth and last month we lost Willow. RIP girlies). I thought at first she'd be ok...but she's really not eating enough. I don't think it's a health issue, as she'll eat fine if I sit with her, but stops eating as soon as I leave the room. Moving her to another spot in our house isn't possible - She lives in a kitty free room, and our 4 cats would definitely stress her out too much for her to be in a more well traveled area. She was a fair bit over weight when Willow passed (I was guilty of spoiling a certain older lady in her last days, Molly benefited as well.), but now she's definitely lost weight.

I've spent the past two weeks looking around on local buy/sell sites, but all the available pigs are either unneutered males or under a year old. I don't want to get a male, since she's never been around one I think even a neutered male would be a bit much for her, and I don't want to be stuck in the same place in 2 years if I adopt a young female!

I've put up ads and asked on facebook, but so far I've had no luck. I have also called my vet to check her over, just in case it is health related, but she can't get us in until next week. I do really think it's just loneliness, but I'd rather have the vet check than be wrong.

Any ideas on how I can help Molly perk up until I can find a solution? I'm already spending a lot more time with her, but since I can't bring her out of her room (because cats) and I work full time as well as have business...there's only so much time I can spend with her.

Anyone in Alberta, Canada who's willing to take in a sweet girl or has an older female who needs a new home?

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) not sure if it's a girl or a boy but this one definitely needs a new home
see if your nearby shelter can't put you on a waiting list

librarychick

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) not sure if it's a girl or a boy but this one definitely needs a new home

I am on a waiting list :)

I wish I could help that poor piggy...but it's 8hrs away. :(

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Just keep checking kijiji.. I find it shocking that in Alberta there's not a lot guinea pigs on there. Here in Ontario I'm scrolling past literally twenty a day. Also the shelters here have tons as well. Check an site called petango. It searches all the shelters near you for what you are searching for.

librarychick

Cavy Slave
I've got a kijiji alert thing set, so it emails me anytime a guinea pig ad is posted in my area. I'll definitely keep checking!

There are gps posted, but they're all females under a year old, or males. None that fit my criteria in the past 2 weeks. Ditto for the rescues that take small animals.

I'm kind of at a loss for what to try next. I could broaden my kijiji search...but the next big city is 4 hours away, and I can't justify an 8 hour trip for a guinea pig given my current budget.

librarychick

Cavy Slave
Well...new dilemma. I found a 3 year old female looking for a home.

Downside is that it's a breeder selling off some of her older breeding stock, she's not willing to rehome her for free.

I don't want to support the breeder...but Molly is stressed and not eating enough. *sigh* hopefully something else turns up tO'Day or tomorrow.

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave

Don't want to derail this thread, but that is horrible! A rabbit AND a guinea pig in a pet store cage! I'm surprised the guinea pig is still alive...

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
I wont go in to pet stores because i know how the animals are treeted and where they come from. I know its not their poor falts but if people would stop buying from them then the suffering would end...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.