Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rumblestrutting One boar rumblestrutting all the time around other boar

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
We just got a 3 week old boar 3 days ago and introductions went great. Had them in a large gated off area for well over 8 hours and had no fighting, teeth chattering, or biting. But my older male (10 weeks) rumble struts everytime the younger one gets near him. And I saw this morning the younger one has this mark on his face. Is it anything to be concerned about? 20170403_132615.jpg

DonkeyBrainz

Cavy Slave
How big is your cage?

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
I have them in a 2x5 cage.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds totally normal to me. Did you expect them not to rumblestrut?

Make sure the cage is as clear of furniture as you can make it. All hideys have two doors, and there's no place for a pig to get trapped. Hang some fleece forests so each one has a place to "hide" without being in the other's line of sight.

Just watch the mark on the little one's face to make sure it doesn't get infected.

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
I was planning on making them a better fleece forest and two tunnels are on the way. I have two small wooden arches. Will that do for the time being? I already have two seperate hay racks, pellet bowls, and water bottles.

I did expect some rumble strutting but not all day lol.

DonkeyBrainz

Cavy Slave
That sounds good for now. Some people add a third water bottle, bowl, and hay rack, but I would only do that if they fight over the ones they have. The less furniture the better!

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
I have been watching them closely and haven't heard any teeth chattering or squealing. But I noticed the baby has a bit more on his face. I checked him all over and he is okay.
Is this still okay? 20170405_132503.jpg

elewis618

Cavy Slave
I have been watching them closely and haven't heard any teeth chattering or squealing. But I noticed the baby has a bit more on his face. I checked him all over and he is okay.
Is this still okay? View attachment 82069
Those almost look like scratch marks to me, but I'm not that familiar with skinny pigs so don't take my word for it. Are his nails clipped? Also, I know skinny pigs need to have their nails filed so there are no rough edges to catch their tender skin when they do scratch.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If there are other pigs in the cage, their nail need to be filed also.

And those don't look like real bites to me. Adult guinea pigs nip the pups to teach them to behave -- that's how the sows wean the pups. The nips are just a lot more visible on a skinny than on a haired pig.

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
I just clipped both of their nails the day before yesterday but they are still sharp. Can I use a regular file for my nails. Can I use that on their nails?

I am just worried they wont get along. And ive never had any piggies with scratches/bites

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, you can use a regular nail file.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Rumblestrutting is normal. Boars will do this frequently. Some will do it more then others. Maybe that's just the older one's personality. You've got nothing to worry about. They'll keep doing it for weeks, months, years. Again, normal. Rumblestrutting isn't really a sign of aggression. It's more like showing the other pigs whose boss. Right now they seem like they're gonna be okay. Those marks are probably just from his own nails, or a few nips from his cagemate. Once they both hit puberty, that's when you should keep a close eye on their behavior.

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
When exactly do they hit puberty? We are moving May 21st from New Orleans, La to Houston, Tx. Should I worry about moving them in a small area? I would immediately set their cage up once we get to Houston but I am worried about the stress of the move on them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It depends. There's no set timetable for pigs to hit adolescence than there is for people.

It's not that far from New Orleans to Houston. I'd use two cat carriers, or go to someplace like Petco and get two cardboard carriers -- they're about $7 each.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.