Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Odd behaviour between two sows?

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
I don't know what this behaviour is and what isn't, and I'm kind of concerned about what I'd just experienced between my two (alleged) female piggies. I have recently adopted two, Bean and Banjo. I got them about a week ago together.

Bean is shy, though she enjoys being held and fed in my lap. She usually won't come out of the hidey hut unless Banjo does before her. She's very quiet.
Banjo is the opposite, she's more brave and noisy. She doesn't like being held really, she squirms a lot.

I've noticed Banjo trying to get on top of Bean a lot, she will plant her front legs against her but Bean will usually pull away (unless they are both together in a hidey hut). Tonight, I was in the room reading and one of them tried getting behind the other (I believe this is what happened, I wasn't paying complete attention beforehand). I heard one of them squealing- like she was in pain- and when I looked over, Banjo's paws again were on Bean's back... I don't know if they were sexed properly, and when I try to flip them over to check they freak out... Is this behavior normal?

I got them from a petstore, and I know this was a poor decision. I called them to ask about it, and they told me to return the animals and everything I've bought... Unbelievable...

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
I don't know what this behaviour is and what isn't, and I'm kind of concerned about what I'd just experienced between my two (alleged) female piggies. I have recently adopted two, Bean and Banjo. I got them about a week ago together.

Bean is shy, though she enjoys being held and fed in my lap. She usually won't come out of the hidey hut unless Banjo does before her. She's very quiet.
Banjo is the opposite, she's more brave and noisy. She doesn't like being held really, she squirms a lot.

I've noticed Banjo trying to get on top of Bean a lot, she will plant her front legs against her but Bean will usually pull away (unless they are both together in a hidey hut). Tonight, I was in the room reading and one of them tried getting behind the other (I believe this is what happened, I wasn't paying complete attention beforehand). I heard one of them squealing- like she was in pain- and when I looked over, Banjo's paws again were on Bean's back... I don't know if they were sexed properly, and when I try to flip them over to check they freak out... Is this behavior normal?

I got them from a petstore, and I know this was a poor decision. I called them to ask about it, and they told me to return the animals and everything I've bought... Unbelievable...
It might be a dominance thing. Sows do that. You can watch this video on dominance in sows: https://youtu.be/bNCN23VoM2s and this video on sexing guinea pigs: https://youtu.be/WUorF7ZxLr0

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, let them flip out if you turn them over. You need to know whether they're same sex or not so you can separate them immediately if they're not.

They're not fragile creatures that are going to disintegrate if you do something they don't like. Just pick them up firmly with both hands and turn them over. For Pete's sake, it's not nearly as bad as risking the sow's life by letting her have a litter of pups.

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
Well, let them flip out if you turn them over. You need to know whether they're same sex or not so you can separate them immediately if they're not.

They're not fragile creatures that are going to disintegrate if you do something they don't like. Just pick them up firmly with both hands and turn them over. For Pete's sake, it's not nearly as bad as risking the sow's life by letting her have a litter of pups.
Exactly. It can risk a sows life if they get pregnant. I heard it only takes a matter of second for a sow to br impregnated.

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
If they are Females maybe the cage size is the trouble how large is your cage aside from sexing

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
If they are Females maybe the cage size is the trouble how large is your cage aside from sexing

Huh, it could be that... I'm waiting for my new 2x5 cage to come.

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
Do you have any advice on how to successfully flip them on their backs to check? That's the part I always have a problem with.
Feeding them and then doing it while they're eating helps. That's how I calm mine before nail trimmings and keep them decently distracted during it.

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
Feeding them and then doing it while they're eating helps. That's how I calm mine before nail trimmings and keep them decently distracted during it.

I've just got them a week ago, actually, so they'll barely eat out of my hands.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
or maybe feed them after you sex them there favorite veggie

Cavycraze

Cavy Slave
I've just got them a week ago, actually, so they'll barely eat out of my hands.
Hmm, I'm not entirely sure then. I hope someone can help you :^) sorry !

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Just keep doing it till you get them on the back. My little Zoe started strutting so I got scared and it took three/four tries but I got her over and she is a girl. That's when I found out strutting is a female thing too. Dear thing, a month old and already bossing Shiemi (my five month old). BTW, Zoe is noisy too and Shiemi is quite.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Do you have any advice on how to successfully flip them on their backs to check? That's the part I always have a problem with.

What I do is I sit down with them on my lap. I have them sitting so that their head is facing away from me. Then I put one hand under their stomach and lift up their front half so that their back is against my stomach. Then I lean back a little bit/ use my free hand to shift their bottom forward so that I can see their lower half.

If you aren't sure what you are looking at use your free hand to feel just above their genitals, male guinea pigs have a bone in their penis which you can feel as a firm vertical line under the skin. If you push your finger down on the top of this firm vertical line (not too hard or you could hurt them) then rub your finger downward (this can take some practice to get right) you can expose the penis on a male. A female guinea pig will not have a firm line, as they have no bone there, and you will not be able to expose a penis.

LemonAntlers

Cavy Gazer
Just keep doing it till you get them on the back. My little Zoe started strutting so I got scared and it took three/four tries but I got her over and she is a girl. That's when I found out strutting is a female thing too. Dear thing, a month old and already bossing Shiemi (my five month old). BTW, Zoe is noisy too and Shiemi is quite.

I finally did get them on their backs and they are both female! It's a huge relief. :)

Mousewife

Cavy Slave
Mounting is normal same-sex dominance behaviour, even with females. They are establishing their hierarchy. Even if they came from the same cage at the petstore, removing the other cavies disrupts their hierarchy and they need to sort it back out.

so if you are really really sure that you have 2 girls, it's normal.

sstressed

Cavy Slave
I've had my girls for about 3 weeks now. One of them apparently went into heat and I had to do some quick you tubing to figure out why the more timid one was acting like a bully. Next day they were back to normal with the dominant one lifting her head and being all queenly.

So much to learn about these little darlings. I'm rearranging things in my house and where i hang out just so I can be with them more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.