Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Non-veternarian remedies for possible cold/respiratory infection? Advice appreciated!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sounds like a good idea. I would also bring your records of Bernie at the previous vet so your new vet can get an eyeful of what has been done so far and know where he or she can go for the next course of action. I feel lie Bernie might of never recovered from his URI, I just don't think allergies could cause so much mucus. The only times I've personally since my own mucus with my allergies is if I just cannot stop sneezing! And even then, it's clear as a clean window pane. Weird I know, but you get the picture.

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Then I think your decision is clear, Go to the new vet. The cheaper cost of the inital visit will pay for the gas to get there. Plus you may get the answers you need. Hopefully this will be the last time he needs to go for this URI. Don't forget to get him probiotics. He has had a lot of antibiotics and his gut flora is probably not up to par.

I will be sure to do that. His cage mate, Bert, has never shown any signs of whatever Bernie has. Can I assume it's safe to use his poo?

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Sounds like a good idea. I would also bring your records of Bernie at the previous vet so your new vet can get an eyeful of what has been done so far and know where he or she can go for the next course of action. I feel lie Bernie might of never recovered from his URI, I just don't think allergies could cause so much mucus. The only times I've personally since my own mucus with my allergies is if I just cannot stop sneezing! And even then, it's clear as a clean window pane. Weird I know, but you get the picture.

I will make sure he gets all the records. I guess I should be thankful that Bernie's lungs have always been clear and I haven't had to fear pneumonia. I really hope this vet has some good ideas. I just feel so badly for my little man (and my wallet, though that is obviously secondary.)

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
I will be sure to do that. His cage mate, Bert, has never shown any signs of whatever Bernie has. Can I assume it's safe to use his poo?

I would ask that question of the vet when you see him.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Personally, like I said before, is to put him on the strongest AB your vet feels comfortable with for the longest duration possible to knock it out. Green mucus definitely is not allergies. You can use poop but I'd also use a probiotic as well since he has been on ABs for so long!

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
So...the vet that I have now cut ties with gave me an estimate for a nasal flush/culture. *drumroll* 600 dollars, ladies and gents. The vet recommended by Guinealynx that I'm switching to on Monday? Around 115 dollars.

@Onetwo I completely agree with you. It just does not feel right to me.

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Bernie had his vet visit with Dr. Messenger in Concord, NH yesterday. I'm thankful that my boyfriend and I made it as the weather was terrible! I know that personality has nothing to do with ability, but I immediately felt more comfortable with Dr. Messenger than I had with my previous vet. He was extremely friendly/funny, loved Bernie and even complimented his impressive butt-mane.

He said he was not sure why my previous vet had felt the need to do a nasal flush. The example he gave me was simple: if he stuck a swab up my nose and cultured it, he would find all sorts of bacteria, some of which would be from the air that I'm breathing in. The same could happen by taking a sample from Bernie. In other words, a culture would tell us something, but not necessarily what we need to know. It could potentially be a huge waste of money.

Bernie actually gave him a little sneeze (he'd gotten all his big ones out in the car, of course) and the vet put a tiny sample of his mucus on a slide and took a look at it. He said the mucus was a mixture of pus and rod-shaped bacteria, leading him to suspect bordetella rather than streptococcus. He told me that a little while back he had two guinea pigs displaying similar symptoms that were on Doxycycline and then Baytril for a long time with no change. He said he finally prescribed Azithromycin and it did the trick. So, he has prescribed .25cc of Azithromycin per day for 14 days.

I'm feeling good about all this and I'm really hoping my sweet boy starts feeling better soon.

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
So little Bernie is harboring Kennel Cough bacteria. (Bordetella) In dogs it takes 6 weeks or so to clear up. Sounds like you are on the right track this time. Hugs you and Get Well Wheeks & Vibes to little Bernie!

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Hi all!

So Bernie has been on his Azithromycin for a week now. He has one week to go. I have seen significant improvement. He is sneezing far less frequently and I have been seeing very little (if any) crust around his nostril. So glad. I've been giving him BeneBac as well as Bert's healthy poos once a day. His weight and appetite are normal.

However, tonight I did notice some teardrop shaped stools that I'm pretty sure are Bernie's. This is a sign of dehydration, correct? Could I syringe feed him some water?

484721_10200134525181031_105823881_n.jpg
here he is getting weighed at the vet last week :B

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
HOW ADORABLE!! I hope he gets to feeling better. He is one little cute fluff-ball of pig.

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
HOW ADORABLE!! I hope he gets to feeling better. He is one little cute fluff-ball of pig.

:D Thanks, I think he's on his way! People always think he's fat, but it's just fuzz!

soopermum62

Cavy Slave
Yes, if you feel he isn't getting enough water, you can syringe feed him some water, but I think I would feed him his veggies first with extra water on them to see if that straightens them out.

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
He is really cute, and look at those perfect nails! :) Hope the little fella gets to feeling better soon.

alexx1974

Cavy Slave
I just went though the same thing with my piggies. After two different vets and multiple visits, we discovered that the bedding I was using kept triggering URIs with my pigs! The vet who personally owned a pig said to use CareFresh bedding because the oils in any other wood-based product can be problematic. He said that the ammonia in their urine can build up and interact with Cedar or other wood oils triggering respiratory distress in susceptible pigs. He said to change it DAILY if at all possible.

I decided that changing bedding every day was much easier than having a sick pig! We haven't had any problems since switching bedding! :)

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Are there SEVERAL tear drop sized poos? If there's only a few I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes there are few poos smaller than others.

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Yes, if you feel he isn't getting enough water, you can syringe feed him some water, but I think I would feed him his veggies first with extra water on them to see if that straightens them out.

I'll try that first, thanks :)

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Are there SEVERAL tear drop sized poos? If there's only a few I wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes there are few poos smaller than others.

I only found a few. I'll just give him his veggies extra wet.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I just went though the same thing with my piggies. After two different vets and multiple visits, we discovered that the bedding I was using kept triggering URIs with my pigs! The vet who personally owned a pig said to use CareFresh bedding because the oils in any other wood-based product can be problematic. He said that the ammonia in their urine can build up and interact with Cedar or other wood oils triggering respiratory distress in susceptible pigs. He said to change it DAILY if at all possible.

I decided that changing bedding every day was much easier than having a sick pig! We haven't had any problems since switching bedding! :)

Cedar should never be used with guinea pigs. Other wood beddings are usually fine, needing changing once a week in an appropriate sized cage.

It's great that your pig is doing better since changing. However, most guinea pigs do fine on wood based beddings (again, no cedar).

BernieAndBert

Cavy Slave
Bah, I found a decent amount of very teeny poos this morning. Smaller than I've ever seen. Should I start syringe feeding water? How much should I do at a time/how often?

HDPigletMommy

Cavy Slave
Ok, I didn't read all of the posts here but enough to know how you feel. #1 - don't fell humiliated. Everyone here loves their babies and only wants what is best for all the piggies of the world. #2 - sometimes we tend to come across a little "harsh" in a message than we mean.

I'm not going to say there is no URI going on - because I have had a lot of experience with URIs and it sounds like one to me. BUT I will also throw one thought out there - my one girl has allergies. BAD. She kind of makes a funny snorting sound when she's in her hay. She NEVER has discharge in her eyes/nose and is always in good health. She has had x-rays. I have changed a ton of things in their pen and it is amazing how much it helped. IMHO this is something anyone can do to make any piggy more comfortable. Use fleece if you can - it is a lot less dusty, but I change mine every two days - and clean it twice a day. If you have a liter pan - try to use something like Yesterday's News (for kitties) it is the least dusty I have found. Buy GOOD hay. I only purchase hay from Small Pet Select (online) delivered to my house. And wash everything - and I do mean everything - I use either a free and clear laundry detergent or vinegar. Do not use fabric softener. If your piglet has allergies - do not wear powder if you handle them. If I use powder my baby girl sneezes up a storm as soon as she snuggles up to me. I also use only scent free lotion on myself and no perfume anymore. Another thing I have found - be careful what you burn in the room your piggies are in. No scented candles! My girls can't take them!

I hope this helps you out a little bit and that your piglets are doing well. Good luck and let me know if you need me to expand on anything I just told you.

Blessed be

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.