Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding No touchy!

piggdaddy

Cavy Slave
So I've had three boars since mid June of 2017, they're probably about 9 months old. I was hoping to get tips with bonding with 2 of my pigs. One of them is super timid and still won't walk up and beg for food, he'll at most stretch from a safe distance so I feel he would be happiest if left alone. As for my two other piggies, here's the daily routine.

In the morning before work I refill their hay rack. It drives them bananas lol they'll run around and popcorn like crazy lol I refill their hay when I get home and sometimes slip them some carrots. Now my pigs aren't terrified of me, the 2 braver ones will come up to me in the cage and sniff and nibble me. However when floor time comes around, I set up their pen. It's not much bigger than the cage, and we mostly use it to get them running and hopping on and off a pig bed and feed them while their cage is spot cleaned. The pigs know when I'm coming to pick them up and they HATE it. They lately have started chattering like furry maracas. They squirm a lot and try to suicide jump from my arms. Lately we have started putting their couch on my lap and give them food and petting them, however once their food is eaten, they start trying to burrow or escape. Do my pigs not like touching? I understand I haven't probably been doing enough lap time lately but I'm afraid they just don't like spending time with me. They don't let us pet them unless they're in our laps, when they have no choice

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
One thing I found that worked was holding a yummy treat, and petting them while they eat it. I just hold up a carrot or something else they love, and refuse to let it go. They have no choice but to stand there and take the pets if they really want that carrot. After awhile, they understand that carrots mean getting pets. My baby boys will be a year old in about a week and now when I sit in their pen, they climb up my legs to see what I've got for them.

Associating treats with activities generally seems to make them more receptive to it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.