Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding New two month old piggy with a about two year old piggy? Suggestions, Tips, Ideas?

Heather Gilley

Cavy Slave
M'kay. I've had Miss Piggles for a year, and I'm pretty sure shes about two now. I rescued her from a friends home.
Anywho, I brought her home and found everything I needed online about my little girl of course.
I figured that they needed more than my friends had gave her. And she most certainly did.
Anyway I knew I needed a friend for her. I've heard that she did have a friend, but I'm not sure what happened to it. Or if it's even true.

Now it's taken me some time, finding the supplies to build a cage big enough for two in my area, and learning what is best to do with my allergies to them.
But finally, I've gotten her a friend, that I'm calling LP, little pig, until I see her little personality more and shes I'd say about two months. I've also already waited the quarantine period naturally, and then split her 6x2 1/2 cage into two sides for they could talk and meet a bit that way. I was afraid that Miss Piggles, being a bit of a grump and lazy, wouldn't like LP. She ignored her, besides looking kinda shocked? at the little one making noises at her. LP also likes to nibble on the bars when she is near. And they do go through some dominate behaviors, Piggles finally started making noises at her mixed with some teeth chatters, that the little one runs from sometimes and other times do their little booty dances, Piggy didn't do it at first, but after awhile of the other one sometimes doing it Miss Piggy started rumbling at her too, minus the rumble. Basically sometimes Miss Piggles pays attention to her, and LP seems like she is dying to get around her. During floor time, I split a spot up in the room for them to romp around in and Miss Piggy will sit beside the bars, very chilly, and the little one tries to wiggle her butt and make herself bigger. Seems like Miss Piggy is laughing at her, shes huge compared to LP.

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me if that's possibly good or bad? I'm terrified of them fighting, I'm eventually going to do the meeting downstairs in the kitchen or outside, completely neutral to them both, with towel and oven mitt handy. I thought about giving them hay, but Miss Piggy gets very serious about her veggies so I figured I would leave those for after or later on in introductions.

Basically I'm afraid of them not liking each other and Miss Piggy getting angry at introductions and snapping at her, she could very well kill her if she wanted I think. :/ Not that I would let that happen. And if they don't like each other I figured I would make a even bigger cage side by side for them both if I can't have them is this one big one.

Sorry for the novel. <3 Just worried.

On a good note though, it has seemed to make them both more active since being housed side by side.

I also forgot to note that the first time Miss Piggy finally paid attention to the little ones butt wiggles after a minute of it she got tired of it and tried to nip at her but after that the little one has started backing down to butt wiggling and runs after a minute.

Last edited:
I'm kind of going through the same thing, but mine ended up fighting after not showing any aggressive signs. Rumblestrutting is normal and so is the running. Piggies are very unpredictable. I wish you the best of luck.

I'm kind of going through the same thing, but mine ended up fighting after not showing any aggressive signs. Rumblestrutting is normal and so is the running. Piggies are very unpredictable. I wish you the best of luck.

I'm sorry. :(
Did you just end up housing them side by side?
I'm afraid that Miss Piggy has been alone so long she won't want any friends.
And that would just break my heart. I wish you luck though as well!!

I'm sorry. :(
Did you just end up housing them side by side?
I'm afraid that Miss Piggy has been alone so long she won't want any friends.
And that would just break my heart. I wish you luck though as well!!
That actually just happend today. I currently have their cage split into 3 since nine of them are getting aling now. I have a thread hoping for some ideas. I hoping its just because the younger 2 are going through puberty.
All I can tell you is all piggies will show for dominance typically.

Based on my experience, it's much easier to introduce a baby to an adult. My boars bonded instantly.

This picture was taken right after intro.
(broken link removed)

See this link for info on introduction and what to watch out for.
https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

:/ Maybe I do at least hope so! That's what I'm hoping for if they don't get along, if the little one matures and calms down a little or Miss Piggy gets more warmed up to her.
But I'm actually happy to see Miss Piggy being dominate, it's just nice to see her interact with the little one.

Those two are adorable together!! <3 All those little tuffs too.
I hope so much for this to be my two. Especially since I'm having trouble feeding the little on greens at all, I was hoping that they would get along and Miss Piggy would tempt her. ;D

From your post, I didn't see any aggressive behavior. Why do you think they will not get along?

Did you see this list from the page I posted?

Some standard dating game behavior is (any sex combination):

Safe, non-combative, dominance behavior
- Rumblestrutting
- Butt sniffing
- Butt nudging
- Chasing
- Butt dragging (they are leaving their scent)
- Mounting (any which way: rear mount, head mount, side mount, flying leap mount!)
- Nose face-offs (higher in the air wins, one must lower their nose to be subservient to the other)
- Teeth chattering: a little (signal of dominance)
- Raised hackles (hair on the back of the neck and along the spine)

Posturing for possible attack, battle for dominance is escalating
- Teeth chattering: sustained (signal of anger, aggression, warning)
- Nips, light bites, may result in little tufts of fur in their teeth
- Wide yawn, but this is no yawn, they are showing their teeth
- Snorting (like a strong puff or hiss)

These behaviors may sound serious and they should be monitored VERY CLOSELY, BUT do NOT separate the pigs exhibiting this behavior, yet. This is when the average pet owner loses it and pulls the pig out. Most of the time, this behavior will continue for a while until one backs down.

Fighting with intent to harm
- Bite attacks are no longer warning nips, they are lunges with intent to harm.
- Combination of raised hackles, loud and angry teeth chattering, rumblestrutting in place with the head staying in one position while facing the other guinea pig doing the same thing. Usually a signal of a biting attack. But they may back down before they engage.
- Both pigs rear up on their haunches, face to face. This is a clear, brief signal of their intent to launch full attacks at each other. Separate if possible before the attack.
- Full battle. The pigs are locked together in a vicious ball of fur. This is very serious. Separate immediately, but be careful. Throw a towel over them and use a dustpan or something other than your hand to separate them. Unintended bites from their very sharp incisors can cause serious damage.

I'm just horrified, I don't see why they wouldn't it's just my first introduction so I've been scanning all aspects of the web about what to do.
And Miss Piggy's reaction, of just ignoring her for the first two days, made me worry she just didn't even care or want to deal with it.
The little one doesn't seem to be be aggressive, she thought about it trying to wiggle, but I've heard them talking the last few day about it, I like to say, and there is a lot less rumbles and a lot more curiosity. Miss Piggy's somewhat teeth chatters have disappeared to the same little 'talking' way as the other. All seems very normal dominate behavior. I think sitting them side by side was a good idea, it has seemed to clear some dominate things up a bit. Like with the at first attempt of the little one to challenge Miss Piggy till she got upset, and now she just does it rarely and runs right after like shes playing popcorning. She's very adorably hyper. She even gets Miss Piggy to do a few little lazy hops. And oh god floor time the little one wants nothing more to be with Piggy gnawing away at the bars, while Piggles stuffs her face full of hay.

:3 Besides Miss Piggles not wanting to cuddle while Skittles, a accidentally word slip that stuck with her, wants too, all went well for the most part.
I think it's just going to take Miss Piggy some time getting use to another piggy being with her I believe. But no fights, not even mounting. She would chase her away if she got to close but that's even mostly stopped. And she will check on and sometimes groom her ear, rarely but will, if shes scared which I took as a good sign.

But here's my girls!

New two month old piggy with a about two year old piggy? Suggestions, Tips, Ideas?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.