Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression New pigs injuring my older girl!

Lalamouse

Cavy Gazer
This is my first post, but I've actually been using this forum as a valued resource for years!

Coconut is our older gal- she's at least 5 (we adopted her from a family 2 years ago who reported she and her sister Isabel were about 3). Coconut's sister and cagemate, Isabel died suddenly about a month ago. No signs of illness, she seemed fine when I woke up and was laying dead when my oldest daughter (M) went to give them their morning veggies.:(

After a week and many discussions, my husband and I decided that adopting 2 more pigs would be a good idea so that Coconut wouldn't be alone. Hubs got to work on expanding our 2x4 into a 2x5. I went to our local animal shelter and adopted a mother-daughter pair (8 months and 3 months). We set up the play yard with hay and water and let Coconut, Peanut, and Hazel meet in a neutral area. This intro lasted 5 hours and we noted what looked like Coconut being the dominant pig. We put them in the new cage that had been completely cleaned. Overnight there were lots of squeaks and scuffles.

Over the ensuing days, Coconut seemed very quiet- but she was definitely eating and drinking (my barometer for health in all things!). It was obvious that Peanut (the 8 month old) was now (HPIC) Head Pig in Charge. My middle daughter (E) picked her up about a week after we'd gotten the new pigs and immediately got upset. Coconut was covered with little cuts on her lower back and had bald patches. Off to the vet we went where after a skin test it was determined these were scratches and bites. We were given an oral antibiotic, a wound spray and advised to keep them separated until Coconuts wounds healed.

For 2 weeks we've had them separated in the 2x5 with a barrier. Coconut healed nicely. Yesterday we attempted another intro. We bathed them all together, then put them in the play yard again, this time in M and E's room (a place they'd never been before). This intro lasted from 11-5. Some chasing and wheeking. They ate the communal hay, but generally they were fine. Back in the cage they went (no barrier). I heard a few loud squeaks last night. This morning Coconut is again covered in cuts on her hindquarters. :(

So here are my options:
1. create a 3x5 for Coconut and put her in my daughters' room by herself. Leave Peanut and Hazel in the 2x5.
2. Create another 2x4 and get Coconut another friend who is older.
3. Expand our current cage into a 2x6 and leave the grid barrier (not ideal in that we'd have to put that cage in a separate room away from the family main living area).

I hate the idea of Coconut being alone- but I'm afraid of her not bonding with another new pig. She SEEMS fine alone, but I figured I'd ask the experts (you all!)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and any advice you can provide.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think your mistake was in trying to introduce her to a bonded pair. That's harder to do than to introduce two lone pigs to each other.

She'll probably be fine with a larger cage divided with a barrier, unless you find a young pup to introduce her to and have them live in two cages.

Lalamouse

Cavy Gazer
I think your mistake was in trying to introduce her to a bonded pair. That's harder to do than to introduce two lone pigs to each other.

She'll probably be fine with a larger cage divided with a barrier, unless you find a young pup to introduce her to and have them live in two cages.

Thank you for your reply. Do you feel a lone younger pig or one about the same age would be better? There are plenty in our shelters sadly. What about a neutered boar? Our shelter will alter adopted pigs for free.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A neutered boar will probably be fine, and another sow probably would be. But to come as close as you can to guarantee that the new one won't bully her, you'd have to get a very young sow. Even then, the young one might try to assert her dominance as she gets older, but it's not likely to be in as aggressive a fashion as introducing another adult pig would be.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think your best option would be to make a 2x4 and put her in there. If you plan to get a boar to go with her, I'd say to move coconut and the boar in the 2x5 and leave the two girls in the 2x4

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I agree with MrCavyMadness. She'd be fine with either option 2 or 3, but I would prioritize keeping the pigs in an area where they'll get lots of attention.

Bpatters is right that it's hard to predict how pigs will get along- you can try to find one with a more easygoing personality, or a baby, but it's still going to depend on the chemistry between the two of them. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.