Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New Piggy won't Eat

vaculatestar

Cavy Slave
So I recently had to put one of my four piggies to sleep after she suddenly took a turn for the worst. One day she seemed happy and the next day I couldn't even get her to move, but knew she was alive because she was still making noises and I could see her breathe. I took her to the vet who moved an appointment around and told me to bring her right then and there, and her temperature wasn't even reading on their thermometer. They tried and tried to warm her up and tried to give her fluids but after a few hours she wasn't able to maintain temp levels, the doctor said when a guinea pig or really any rodent can't retain heat that usually means that's it for them. They might have been able to save her by doing blood work to figure out what was wrong but she wouldn't have lived long enough for the results to come back, so I had her put to sleep.

Anyways I got sad and so I got a replacement piggy. Cute little black, white, and brown guinea pig, about a month old, who I promptly named Mocha, yesterday. Now she hasn't been eating or drinking much that I can see (I have her living in my room for what is now the next 20 days during her isolation period). Is it because she is lonely? Getting used to her surroundings? Or what? I did put some veggies in the cage to try and tempt her (Romaine lettuce, red bell pepper, and a baby carrot) so I'll see what that does.

vaculatestar

Cavy Slave
To add on, all that she has really done is hide in her pigloo, only time she comes out is if I try to interact with her at all, or bump the cage or anything like that. Then she starts darting back and forth across the cage.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It sounds like she's just scared and new, she's somewhere different and doesn't know what's going on. She'll calm down eventually. Try leaving the room awhile after offering her food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep, sounds like she's alone and petrified. She'll come around. And she'll like you more when you offer her treats lol.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.