Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New piggy in the house

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
I have 2 not yet 1 year olds Male (neutered) and a female. My female (Pinky) has always been very vocal when ever anyone is in the kitchen or the fridge she squeaks VERY loud, But i have noticed since having the new piggy (Rusty) in the house she has become very quiet hardly hear from her. I just wanted to know is this normal?

eternalpnk

Cavy Slave
Are they being housed together? If they are, how have they been reacting towards each other? There are always adjustment periods in which the guinea pigs will need to get use to each other. If she's quiet because he's a strange new guinea pig that she's unsure of, then that's normal, but if you see that she's scared and the new guinea pig is picking on her then that's a different story.

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
No still in separate cages but butted up to each other. .
I have had them doing floor time together a few times to see how they interact and so far no aggression has been shown to the baby from my older girl, a tad from my boy but nothing to be concerned about (yet) My boy has always been the submissive one but have noticed he and my older girl have been challenging each other since the newbie has arrived (hence why i haven't yet put the baby in the main cage)

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
Are they being housed together? If they are, how have they been reacting towards each other? There are always adjustment periods in which the guinea pigs will need to get use to each other. If she's quiet because he's a strange new guinea pig that she's unsure of, then that's normal, but if you see that she's scared and the new guinea pig is picking on her then that's a different story.
No still in separate cages but butted up to each other. .
I have had them doing floor time together a few times to see how they interact and so far no aggression has been shown to the baby from my older girl, a tad from my boy but nothing to be concerned about (yet) My boy has always been the submissive one but have noticed he and my older girl have been challenging each other since the newbie has arrived (hence why i haven't yet put the baby in the main cage)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Is Rusty neutered? If not, do not let him do floor time with your female. Do not house him with your female. Your female can become pregnant.

In general, one female with two males will not work. Even if both males are neutered. The males will fight for the female.

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
Rusty and Pinky are girls, Ninja is the boy and he has been neutered

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
Rusty is the baby (3 weeks) Pinky and Ninja are about 10/11 months old

lissie

Cavy Slave
I see. Sorry I thought Rusty was a boy. (Sounded like a boy name to me)

Since you have already let them meet, there's no need to keep them separated. Usually when you get a new pig, you're supposed to keep them in another room for 3 weeks to prevent illness from spreading to your current pigs.

Here's a proper way to do introduction.
https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
Thats ok :) I was worried because she is so much smaller than the other 2 she get hurt. Yes im aware of that, but i got her from a someone i know and i know her pigs are illness free :)

Ninja_N_Pinky

Cavy Slave
I will do a full cage clean tomorrow and also baby proof it lol so she cant get though the C&C grids.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.