Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores New PetSmart

Yes, I work on Thursdays and Fridays at a veterinarian's practice and I treat exotics at an emergency hospital. Most of the other veterinarians at this emergency hospital will not see small pets or any exotic animals. The only animal I will not see is primates because of the diseases they can transfer to humans. I see dogs and cats occasionally, mainly exotics.

So curiosity has killed the cat so to speak. I find it odd that you are only 19 and already a vet. Your profile states that is your age.

If you only saw exotics, you really wouldn't make enough of a living to live comfortably. Occasionally dogs and cats would be an additional source of income, but still not enough to live normally. Just stating the obvious :) No offense.

And where do you see age on her profile? I don't see it anywhere! I'm confused, sorry.

Last edited:
If you only saw exotics, you really wouldn't make enough of a living to live comfortably.
That's not actually true, at least not in every area. The vet I take my pigs to sees exclusively exotics and I can tell you both doctors in the clinic are making quite a decent living. And living quite comfortably. They do see dogs and cats, but they only see the dogs and cats of the guinea pig/rat/ferret/etc clients they already service.

And where do you see age on her profile? I don't see it anywhere! I'm confused, sorry.
I looked too, because the story was obviously becoming less and less believable, but I think the mods can see all that stuff, considering they'd have access to what was submitted when a person signs up for an account. And I doubt Ly would have stated her age specifically unless the profile/registration info said she was over 18.

I think my vet probably makes enough to get by on those $70 routine visits and $17 toenail clippings for exotics alone. lol

Yeah, my vet charges enough (and I've got enough pigs) that he could probably live off me alone!! JK, but sometimes it feels that way. Thats ok though, he's excellent and my piggies are worth every piggy. lol

Yeah, our close-by vet charges $70, but you get a 10% multi-pet discount (on visits, products and diagnostic testing), so it comes to $63 per pig. She only sees exotics pets three days a week, and does small dogs and cats the rest of the time.

When my mom had poor little Walter (cocker spaniel rescue who ended up with serious genetic issues, and valley fever to top it off... he was laid to rest about 2.5 years ago and my mom has been petless since... I think this one broke her heart...) she took him to this animal hospital, and the exotic vet had begun to work there just a couple days a week, if memory serves (and it typically doesn't). Anyway, my mom was paying something close to $55 for a vet visit for just one dog. Granted, not the entire sum goes to the vet, because you do have to factor in operation costs, employees, overhead, etc etc. But still, $70 for a piggy is quite a price to pay.

Oh, really? I was misinformed, then. I talked to a substitute teacher in school a while ago, and she said her daughter went to vet school or something like that, and I told her I was going to do exotics, and she said I wouldn't make "enough" money doing just that. She mentioned something about $40k a year, but maybe she was talking about a brand-new fresh out of vet school vet's salary.......

I was thinking of moving to someplace congested, or just doing research to find out which places here in the states have a high concentration of exotics owners.

Oh, really? I was misinformed, then. .....I was thinking of moving to someplace congested, or just doing research to find out which places here in the states have a high concentration of exotics owners.

It all does depend on location and need! For any job, really!

What vet school did you go to, yo Foo xD?

What vet school did you go to, yo Foo xD?

I went to North Carolina State College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM).

I live in Richmond, VA where there is a lot of exotic pet owners so I do have a lot of patients and I also see barnyard animals. Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was in Springfield visiting relatives.

My vet must make alot as well. Granted she is the only vet of her kind in the state. She sees mainly exotic animals but is referred to by normal vets for dog and cat dentistry. They sell quite the range of products as well - including Oxbow (only place again that I have found that sells Oxbow in the state).

I live in Richmond, VA where there is a lot of exotic pet owners so I do have a lot of patients and I also see barnyard animals. Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was in Springfield visiting relatives.
Wow, so you're like the Doogie Howser of the vet world, eh? How long have you been practicing?

Wow, are you serious?? :eek:I'm going to be going there in a little over 2 years, and then hopefully getting accepted into their Vet school. I am a senior in high school now. Thats so cool that you went where I'm planning on going to become an exotics vet.
I'll have to keep Richmond VA in mind, because my ending goal is to be an exotics vet too. This is sweet! Maybe I'll work with you someday :D

But I'm still waiting for an answer to my question. How is it that you are a vet and your profiles shows me that you are only 19 years old?

I'm definitely not 19, I'll actually be entering my 40's soon. I'm almost positive I put the year 1970 when I registered... the scroll on my mouse probably scrolled up on the year. Is there any way I can change it now? Thanks. :)

i'm a new moron who fell in love 17 mths ago with a very small piggy in petsmart, bought her and she's been the joy of my life (Winnie). i read online enough to learn caging, food and toys. fell in love again 2 weeks ago with a very small piggy in petsmart, bought her (Izzy). (yeah, i know about adoptions and segregations NOW) regardless...i don't "wish" to support petsmart any longer...but these piggys are LUCKY they came home with ME.
so..on March 10, i see Winnie humping little Izzy. dogs do that, but cavies? hmmm. looked and looked online 'til i found more than just the "visual" test - pushed on Winnie's belly - out popped a "thingie". i was/am FURIOUS. (at me and the store) i separated them - and it breaks my heart. i knew the minute Winnie met Izzy - that "i" truly wasn't enough. all of the purring made my heart soar. (Winnie is now "George")
petsmart sexed Izzy visually just like they sexed Winnie(George). NOW...i want to SUE them if Izzy's pregnant (i'm hoping George didn't know how to get it in) to not only pay for her care...but any offspring that might come from it. i'm NOT taking Izzy back..i'm in love with her. but now i can't let them be true companions unless i fix George. (it's been too long ago for me to prove i bought George there to SUE for that.)
IF Izzy's preggars...i hope she SURVIVES and has two sexes so i'll have the companions they NEED. if she's not....i have to pay to have George fixed.
I'M MAD!

~izzyrob

i mean....SERIOUSLY...these pet stores need to give out information sheets with cavies after they've made you listen to someone READ it to you. like: if you already have a cavy- separate the new one for blah blah time; what to feed them; weigh them; list of websites, etc. i just read online that i have to OIL the boy parts? sigh. now gotta read up on that.
honestly, i never KNEW ya had to be dang near a VET to own one of these guys! had i been told upfront...i may NOT have bought one! -so, i'm kinda glad in a way that i wasn't TOLD....cuz I ADORE PIGGIES NOW!!!
i am disabled and spend every minute of the day with them.
izzyrob

Just so you know, PetSmart actually doesn't sex them. The breeder delivers them and they are all supposed to be sexed into only one sex when delivered (if that makes sense). Certain stores sell only male small animals, and certain stores only sell female small animals (at least thats what they want, but sometimes the breeder screws up).

yeah, it makes sense..cuz i've read so much now! (fearing izzy might be pregnant)
there were 2 other teeny ones..same size as izzy in the pen when i bought her. now that i know males can inpregnate at 3 weeks old and females can get knocked up
at 4 weeks- the clerk shouldn't even have to physically CHECK the sex - they should know it or have record somewhere! (i pushed on izzy's belly to find a thingie...nuthing. read to keep checking when they're little tho') (she's got one teat bigger than the others...can hormones do that in 7 days?...dunno)

i've learned how big the babies are when they're born - i know izzy has
maybe 5 more weeks of growing before birthing (if she's preggar)....i read breeder's like to breed females before 7 mths cuz their bones fuse (geez...just like mine).

BUT ! after reading your post...i read mine again...and realize that all is not lost. if she's not preggars, i won't have george (winnie) fixed....i'll just adopt one boy and one girl ! (babies would be exciting...but i don't want her to die....she's sweet and beautiful.)

thanks !

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.