Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New mom of 3 girlies

kraizy randoms

Cavy Slave
I got 1 guinea a few weeks ago from a relative, she pretty much just stayed in her hidey hole all the time, acting depressed, so I took my kids down to get Cuddles a friend, and wound up getting 2. They are currently in a 2x3 c&c cage with a 2x2 c&c attached. I pulled all the dumb moves like introducing before health time and separating as soon as there would be a possible argument, but I think I get the rules now. I will be introducing them really soon, but what size of un-used c&c do I do this intro in? The 2 that I bought from the store were out on my couch last night wheeking and purring and playing around on my lap, then I held Cuddles, she just nuzzled closer to my face if I stopped petting her, but no purring. It was a complete and instant change when Cuddles saw the two new piggies next to her, she started popcorning and playing around. I really want to have them all in a 2x5 all together, without getting nervous that they will hurt eachother. Our black piggie came to us with a 3rd of her ear missing already.

Hi there! Introductions should be done in a neutral place, it doesn't have to be done in an unused cage. If you don't have a room you can secure them in or pet playpen you may want to use the bathtub (dry). Once they are getting along then then put them in a completely cleaned cage. Also, if you haven't already done so please make sure all of their genitalia match, just so there aren't any unexpected arrivals :)

Do the into in a big neutral area -- the hall, or a bathroom, or some room where they can't get under the furniture and hide. Do it when you've got enough time to leave them together for several hours. Put them into a thoroughly cleaned cage that smells nothing like any of the pigs, and don't separate them unless there's all-out war. Nipping, chasing, rumbling, mounting, etc. are all perfectly normal.

I am thinking I want to do this tomorrow after work, which starts my weekend. I know 2 of them will want to be dominant, and have to let them argue it out. I have to move their home for the weekend anyway since my kids are having a slumber party and the guineas will not want 8 to 10 year old girls cooing at them for 2 days. I have read that we should bathe them individually the night before, I can make a large pen and sleep next to them as well. My black piggie, Clover, has had a bad experience with another animal before I got her, but she was in a cage with 4 other guineas and a rabbit when we got her and baby.

There's no need to bathe them unless intros aren't going well, a buddy bath is a last resort.

That works out better for me then, I don't want to bathe anyone tonight anyway. We checked them and they all look the same down there luckily! I can't stand that Cuddles is alone in her side of the cage. She is always sniffing at them and doing laps.

Let us know how it went :)

I'm through hour 1. I must say I am traumatized! They are fake lunging and rumblestrutting, then chilling out and eating timothy hay, then it starts all over.

It sounds like its going just fine :)

It will go well, I am staying the night next to their neutral c&c. Cuddles chases Baby, but when she tries to chase Clover it's a face off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.