Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage New home for baby guinea pig

NGranadino

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone,

My guinea pig just had two babies (one boy one girl) and they just turned 21 days old. I just separated the male because I don't want him getting his mother and sister pregnant. But now hes crying bloody mary, so I put his new cage next to his mothers so that he can at least hear and see her but he's still crying every once and a while. Will he eventually get used to being alone in the cage or should I think about getting another male?

PS: I don't plan on moving him away from his mothers cage, I just don't want them in the SAME cage.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Have you thought about getting him neutered so he can move back in with his mom and sister? I'm not sure at what age it's safe to neuter boys since all mine were over a year old when they had it done. If you don't want to get him neutered I think you should get him a buddy(somebody older to show him the ropes). Do you have enough room to get another male?

NGranadino

Cavy Slave
I live in Puerto Rico, and I don't know of any vets in my area that neuter guinea pigs. I don't think that's really an option for me.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I would consider getting another boar, but only if you have the space to make sure they boys don't smell the girls. If they do, that will cause them to fight. Otherwise, it's possible he'll settle into living next to them. My male, Borat, was missexed, so I adopted a female companion for him before I learned the truth. I planned to get him neutered eventually, but he died before that happened. In the meantime, he lived next door to Amy and could see her and sniff noses with her, but with no possibility of getting to her. He seemed to be okay with it, although I felt sorry for him when he'd try to impress her with his rumblestrutting on the other side of the bars. I asked the vet if it was okay for him to be so close or if it would drive him crazy, and she said it's totally dependent on the pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.