Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet New here! Am I overreacting?

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! Long time reader, but just now joined. Let me preface this with, I have clinical anxiety, so this stuff hits me harder than many.

My two girls, Jeni and Mocha, have had problem after problem since about August. They are 4 years old. Between then and now, astoundingly, weve had the following: Jeni gets bumblefoot, Mocha sprains her ankle twice (even broke it last year), Jeni gets GI stasis (resolved), Mocha gets an eye infection from hay in her eye (resolved), Jeni gets 3 UTIs (she has recurring UTIs and is currently on SMZ-TMP), and now Mochas back pad on her right foot is a bit swollen.

Reading this, you might think I have poor husbandry, but I assure you that I take excellent care of them. I’ve spent a lot of money on vet visits. They have a new cage from this website on the way as well. Current cage is not wire bottom or anything dangerous. I change their bedding every other day, and I also add more bedding twice a day to keep it dry. They get a cup of veggies a day each, 1/8 cup oxbow pellets each, oxbow Timothy/orchard grass mix, and oxbow vitamin c biscuits.

Onto Mochas foot. She’s not limping like she was when she sprained her ankle, but I can tell she’s slightly favoring her other hand if I look very very very closely. She’s still moving around, and even runs still. I actually have my vets cell phone number and when I told him he said lets just do the same thing as last time, SMZ-TMP, epsom salt soaks, and metacam. There is no ulceration, drainage, no swelling elsewhere, etc, which almost makes me feel like she could’ve simply hurt it going back into her cage. I don’t let her climb on her own into
her cage anymore because that’s how she hurt herself before. However, she does everything possible to squirm out of my hands when I try to put her back in, so it’s very possible she landed funny on her “wrist”. As I’ve said, this stuff just gets to me and has me constantly thinking about it.

Attachments

B52E001F-7DCC-4594-A5EF-3D52BA848408.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Her foot looks fine to me. I'd probably assume she's just twisted her ankle and keep a close eye on her.

You can train her not to wriggle so much when you're putting her back in the cage. Sandwich her between your hands -- one hand under her and one on top. As you are putting her in the cage, if she wriggles, stop and stay still. When she stops wriggling, start moving her toward the cage again. Every time she wiggles, you stop. When she stops wiggling, you move.

After a few times of this, she should get the idea that she gets put back in when she doesn't wiggle.

petluv

Cavy Slave
Great idea bpatters! I need to try that! I was going to say I put her in a snuggle sac when transferring her, but your idea is more proactive cause who knows if you’ll always have one on hand. Abby always wants to sky dive into her cage. Once she sees it she gets so excited and if I don’t have her contained she will force my hands open and jump into it. She loves her cage!

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
I will surely try this!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.