Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding New Guniea Pig Member, but seems to aggravate the Original? What do i do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

agemus

Cavy Slave
I've been having my first guinea pig for a while now and i've been reading that guinea pigs love to be in pairs. My first guinea pig (Kai) is about 7/8 months old and I went and got him a friend (Ken) that is about a month old. Kai is very laid back since he's been in the cage by himself but loves to roam when he's out. Ken is very skittish which made me want to get him even more. From the start when I put them next to each other, Kai would purr to him every time Ken would interact with him and Kai would sometimes hump him. There were some moments when Kai would nip or push him to run away from him. Ken would always follow him tho and it made it seem like he was going to be the submissive pig. Then I finally put them in the cage together. I bathe them both and even cleaned everything out the cage so neither of their scents wouldn't be in there. Ken was very happy with the cage size so he would run around in circles while Kai was just minding his business. Then Ken would bump into Kai and then start humping him every chance he could get and Kai would get very unhappy and try to run and he would make those noises where he would make when he's aggravated. At one point they would chase around each other in circles like how humans do in gang fights, but then run away from each other. My cage size is 47 L x 24 (broken link removed). According to the website, it's about (8 sq feet.) This has been going on for the past week and doesn't seem to be gradually going down. I'm just scared because I don't want to get to the point where there is blood drawn to separate them. Ken even started to purr back to Kai which i find very weird how a month old skittish pig (thats even scared to get picked up) is challenging Kai who has a very big attitude! I'm trying to figure out how he even decided to try to challenge Kai to be alpha since he's been following him around doing everything that Kai's been doing. Any advice?

Shieme

Cavy Slave
I'm not anywhere an expert on boars but I don't think your cage is as larg as you say. Did you make the cage? If so, how man grids? It sounds like mine. And I have sows, which is the minimum size for them. I'm going to upgrade because they (Shiemi stop popcorning when I had a smaller cage and she grew!) popcorn and run. So bigger is better! Anyway, it just sounds like they are playing and showing dominance behavior. Pigs love to aggravate each other (and me, while cleaning). I believe that's what they are doing. I'm not sure but I think your cage is too small for boars.

agemus

Cavy Slave
I put the correct measurements. I didn't make the cage, I've bought it online and that's the measurements it says on the side of the cage AND the website.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Why do you have two posts that are almost identical?

Pick ONE thread for your pigs, and confine your posts to that.

I'm closing this thread.

lissie

Cavy Slave
That cage is too small for two boys. Is it a Midwest cage? Can you buy another one and connect it to the old cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.