Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur New guinea pigs suspected allergy what should I do

Samrx

Cavy Slave
I recently got two new guinea pigs who are both houses on Aspen shavings today I noticed that one of the guinea pigs was scratching quickly with its hind leg then the other did so too I have both guinea pigs checked for mites so I know they're excluded I'm wondering is it possible that I was falsely sold cedar or pine shavings? Is there anyway I can tell if the shavings r are for sure Aspen or is this common guinea pig behavior they don't do it much maybe 3-4 times a day
Thanks I'm concerned

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately I can't help in the bedding department as I use fleece but how were they checked for mites? If it was a skin scrape it may not be accurate

Have you also checked them for lice?

If you determine its not the bedding thats the issue and you still see them scratching, I would treat them for mites.

Samrx

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately I can't help in the bedding department as I use fleece but how were they checked for mites? If it was a skin scrape it may not be accurate

Have you also checked them for lice?
I brought them both to a well respected exoitic animal vet just outside my town and she gave a full examination of ears fur skin feet and mouth as we'd adopted them from.a shady situation we were worried she said they were in perfect health except for being badly underweight I don't know if she checked for fleas

If you determine its not the bedding thats the issue and you still see them scratching, I would treat them for mites.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no definitive way to check for mites. The usual way is a skin scraping, which is painful for the pig and for your pocketbook, but misses the mites half the time. The recommendation is the same whether there's been a scraping or not -- treat for mites.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It's very unlikely both guinea pigs are allergic to aspen. Allergies in guinea pigs are very rare, I've owned pigs since I was seven and volunteered with shelter pigs for three years and I've only encountered aspen allergy once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.