Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals New Guinea pig rescue mom-Need help asap sexing pigs

danielledunn

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

I adopted two guinea pigs from a family who bought two “girls” from a pet store, they weren’t keeping up with the needed care for the two so I recently adopted them. I haven’t been able to take them to a vet yet.

I was doing some reading online about sexing guinea pigs and took a look at my girls parts just to be sure.

One of them is obviously a girl, she looks like all the pictures, the other I am very unsure about.

They are four or five months old and i couldn’t feel any testicals on the questionable one but she has either a very pronounced vulva or a penis.

they are are sharing the same c and c cage right now and i don’t know if i am just overly anxious about this or should separate until their appointment with a vet.

Attached are photos of the questionable one, thank you!

Attachments

C758523B-BF97-4D19-9C65-1F10015EBCC2.jpg 587519A8-8FFD-4321-9E32-04D278523989.jpg

Pamperedpets018

Cavy Gazer
I have a similar problem with one of mine. Can you feel a penis bone? It feels like a lump just above the button (or the i of the y shape. A females should be completely flat. A male you will feel something if you run your finger across the area.

Ballet2vet

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I adopted two guinea pigs from a family who bought two “girls” from a pet store, they weren’t keeping up with the needed care for the two so I recently adopted them. I haven’t been able to take them to a vet yet.

I was doing some reading online about sexing guinea pigs and took a look at my girls parts just to be sure.

One of them is obviously a girl, she looks like all the pictures, the other I am very unsure about.

They are four or five months old and i couldn’t feel any testicals on the questionable one but she has either a very pronounced vulva or a penis.

they are are sharing the same c and c cage right now and i don’t know if i am just overly anxious about this or should separate until their appointment with a vet.

Attached are photos of the questionable one, thank you!

Try squeezing the part right behind the "parts" and if you feel something hard that is the testicle in it's sac and the penis may come out too. Don't be afraid that you will hurt him (or her) just be gentle.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Try squeezing the part right behind the "parts" and if you feel something hard that is the testicle in it's sac and the penis may come out too. Don't be afraid that you will hurt him (or her) just be gentle.

You can't always feel the testicles on a male guinea pig. They have open inguinal rings so are able to withdraw their testicles into their abdomen. The penis however can always be felt just above the urethral opening as a firm line under the skin, as it has a bone in it and will always be in that location, if you push at the top of where you feel the penis bone and then roll your finger down you can expose the penis. If they are just soft and squishy above the urethral opening and there is no firm line to be felt you have a sow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.