Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites New Guinea Pig Fiver has mites, what to do?

Luna8

Cavy Slave
Alright. We're going to the store, so we'll get some if we can find any.
Thanks again!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I bid you good luck on finding any. A lot of advantage in stores is gone. I believe they've stopped production on the original Advantage as it is not affective against fleas and ticks anymore.

I hope you do find it. But like coconutty78 said, you could attempt Olive Oil, should you not be able to find any.

Luna8

Cavy Slave
No luck with Advantage.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been busy with my first few days at Elementary School. I guess I'll try some Olive Oil like you suggest, @MrWhistles. It's nice to have a second opinion. Thanks!
I was wondering how much I should put on? Just regular Olive Oil, right?

Thank you!
@Luna8

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
No luck with Advantage.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been busy with my first few days at Elementary School. I guess I'll try some Olive Oil like you suggest, @MrWhistles . It's nice to have a second opinion. Thanks!
I was wondering how much I should put on? Just regular Olive Oil, right?

Thank you!
@Luna8

I'm not sure how much you would use. I've never used Olive Oil. Have you tried looking for Ivermectin?

Luna8

Cavy Slave
Okay. It's fine, I can ask someone else.
@bpatters and a few others have said NOT to use Ivermectin because Fiver is too young.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Luna8, I really think it would be better for you to take your pig to the vet for treatment. I doubt seriously that olive oil will work, because the mites are already burrowed into the pig's skin. These are not surface mites, and so won't be suffocated by olive oil.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Okay. It's fine, I can ask someone else.
@bpatters and a few others have said NOT to use Ivermectin because Fiver is too young.

oh yeah
thats right. He's just a tiny thing.

Luna8

Cavy Slave
Ha-ha, yes.
He's and ADORABLE tiny thing!!!

Luna8

Cavy Slave
@Luna8 , I really think it would be better for you to take your pig to the vet for treatment. I doubt seriously that olive oil will work, because the mites are already burrowed into the pig's skin. These are not surface mites, and so won't be suffocated by olive oil.

Hm.... Okay.
If you think so then I'll tell my parents. The thing is, we're really busy now and we have to go all the way to Portland for a vet. But we'll try for sure!

Luna8

Cavy Slave
I asked my mom.
We're unable to take a tripe to the Vet. But, she was wondering if we could give him a bath with some Dawn Soap?

Thanks!
Luna

emmaf520

Cavy Slave
Well this is my opinion, someone else might disagree but here it is. If you really can't take your new pig to the vet then I would take him back to the store where you bought him. Some pet stores have a health guarantee and if it is still within that period, they should take care of the treatment for you. Otherwise, outside that period, many stores will take the animal back and treat it themselves and then put it up for adoption. My local Petco had rats up for adoption because of that same reason.
I'm sure you don't want to give up your new little guy, but if your parents won't give him the proper treatment than all you're doing is hurting him. I don't mean to come across as rude and I really hope you do figure out a way to keep your little buddy and get him the vet care he needs.
Best of luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No! Dawn soap will do absolutely nothing to help your pig.

I'm sorry your mother won't take your pig to the vet. But if she isn't willing to provide medical care for him, then you need to surrender him to a rescue or rehome him with someone who will take care of him. He's small, defenseless, and totally dependent on you to take care for him. It's not fair to him to let him suffer with mites because no one will take him to the vet.

When you're older, and have your own money, you can get another guinea pig. But this one is suffering, and you need to find a place for him with people who will actually take care of him.

LittlePiggie

Cavy Slave
Do NOT use Dawn soap. I feel for you with the vet situation. It's tough. I would use Olive Oil, it works. I have never used it on a pig before but I do know it kills lice. Or tea tree oil. Just don't put it on the pigs head and rinse it off after about 5 minutes.

Luna8

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks. Wanted to check about the Dawn Soap.
@bpatters-- I do have money. And I'm totally willing to spend it to help my little one. Maybe mom will take me to Portland and I can pay for him.
I do actually take care of him. I'm doing the best I can, even if it isn't real great. You've told me that you don't think I should re-home my guinea pigs. I'm now starting to consider it, because I guess I'm not responsible or mature with guinea pigs.... Even if I do love them dearly. I'm doing as good as I can do. I don't have as much flexibility as you. I can't just go up to the Portland Vet any old time. I have parents, for one thing. I can't drive. I don't have lots of money. I'm not experienced.
Who can I give them to that I trust??? Who? No one. I don't know one single person who I can trust with my guinea pigs.

How much is a visit to the vet? I'll see what I can do.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll have to call the vet to ask what the costs would be. I live in Texas, and I have no idea what vets charge in your area.

I know you love your piggy, but loving something means more than just warm, cuddly feelings about them. It means taking care of them, with food, housing, and medical care being absolute requirements. I know you're trying, but trying just isn't good enough in this case.

See post #1 in this thread for places in your area that will help you find a home for your guinea pig: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-guinea-pigs-adopt-pacific-northwest-usa.html

Luna8

Cavy Slave

LittlePiggie

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed), from what I can see, you do care about your pig a lot. I know everyone here is really big on vet care first, and it should be that way, but I am in the same position as you. People like us just can't afford the forever growing list of what the pigs need. Try to find at home remedies. Vet bills are so expensive, and they are almost impossible to save for with all the other things we are constanly buying for them. Try the olive or tea tree oil, a lot cheaper, and works just the same. Good luck:)

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed), from what I can see, you do care about your pig a lot. I know everyone here is really big on vet care first, and it should be that way, but I am in the same position as you. People like us just can't afford the forever growing list of what the pigs need. Try to find at home remedies. Vet bills are so expensive, and they are almost impossible to save for with all the other things we are constanly buying for them. Try the olive or tea tree oil, a lot cheaper, and works just the same. Good luck:)

There are outlets to paying for vet bills
for 1, you can start a "rainy day" savings
for another you can use a regular credit card. Pay it off over time.
Then there is Care Credit. Which is a credit card that you can only use on medical expenses.

Luna8

Cavy Slave
@LittlePiggie thank you.
My mom and sister are talking about it right now. They say that I shouldn't give them away. I partly agree... Partly not. Mostly, yes, I do agree. I don't think I'm going to give them up. But, I'm going to work harder on caring for my pets. I want them to have a good life. I want us to have a good life together, too. I'm going to take better care with my guinea pigs.
@bpatters, you didn't mention it, but... I'm sorry if I came across with an... um, attitude? Sorry I was just mad and I shouldn't have said anything.

Luna8

Cavy Slave
There are outlets to paying for vet bills
for 1, you can start a "rainy day" savings
for another you can use a regular credit card. Pay it off over time.
Then there is Care Credit. Which is a credit card that you can only use on medical expenses.

Ok.
I feel stupid saying this but I have no idea about that Credit Card stuff lol. I put that in the "parent's" category. It annoys me for some reason.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.