Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites New Guinea Pig Fiver has mites, what to do?

Luna8

Cavy Slave
I am Luna8's older sister, she's having me type this because she's holding her new guinea pig, Fiver.

We got a new guinea pig yesterday (Luna can tell you about that later) from a local petstore. He was just weaned, but they let us take him home anyways. He was very scared to be without his family yesterday, but now he's warmed up to us and is a very sweet and mischeivious piggy. This morning while she was holding him, my sister noticed small, white wiggly things in his fur that we're pretty sure are mites or lice. I've read that sometimes these aren't dangerous until the piggy comes under stress, and Fiver has been under some stress lately, with the move and all. We havn't noticed any scratching, and he doesn't seem to be in discomfort, but we're pretty worried anways. If you could help us figure what these are, and how to help Fiver, that would be great.
Thanks in advance!

I don't think you can actually see mites, you just have to look for the tell tale symptoms (such as excessive scratching, flaky skin, etc). Elmo got mites due to the stress of his move but he just had a little dandruff/dry skin and was scratching a lot. Due to his age I gave him one squirt of mite spray (I know it's not advised to use that on here, but I didn't know at the time, and it turns out I couldn't have used anything else anyway because of his age) and now they're all cleared up.

I'll let somebody else give you their opinion on what could be the problem with your piggy but I personally don't think it's mites. Perhaps it's worth a vets trip.

Also, let this be a lesson as to why you shouldn't buy guinea pigs from pet stores. It's not uncommon for them to sell you sick animals, because they don't have a clue. People often end up with pregnant guinea pigs, or mis-sexed guinea pigs because of poor pet store knowledge, but there are plenty of healthy pigs waiting to be adopted in shelters (and if they don't get adopted, they end up getting put down).

Sounds like lice to me. https://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html Mine had them and I used Revolution to get them off https://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasitics.html#revolution Selamectin -- (Revolution)
New Guinea Pig Fiver has mites, what to do?
Calculate Dose in mg and cc A newer treatment for mites and lice requiring a prescription. Apply topically to the skin. Pfizer reportedly advises 10mg/kg for cavies. Selamectin does not have ivermectin's proven safety track record but some cavy owners appreciate the convenience of once a month topical dosing.
NOTE: Tubes come in different concentrations (either 60mg/cc or 120 mg/cc). Individual tubes contain from 15mg to 360 mg selamectin and vary from 0.25ccto 3 cc by volume.
Example: Mauve tube treats up to 2.5kg of cat and contains 15mg per tube. [Each tube contains 0.25cc at 60mg/ml -- see PICTURE OF PACKAGE]

So if the concentration is 60mg/cc and the dosage is 10mg for a one kilo pig, the dose is 0.167cc. If you use the 120mg/cc tubes (which are twice as concentrated), the dose is smaller: 0.0833cc for a one kilo pig. To dose individual pigs, multiply their weight in kilos times either 0.0833cc (for the 120mg/cc tubes) or 0.167cc (for the 60mg/cc tubes).
Example: for a pig of 0.5 kilos using a 60mg/ml concentration:
0.5kg X 0.167cc/kg = 0.0835cc Dosage: 10mg/kg

If you can see the bugs, they're not mites, they're either lice or fleas. Since they're white, they're lice. Since your pig is just a baby, you need to see a vet for treatment. He's too young for you to treat him with ivermectin -- he needs to weigh 350 grams for that. Do NOT try to treat him yourself.

Sounds like lice to me. https://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html Mine had them and I used Revolution to get them off https://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasitics.html#revolution Selamectin -- (Revolution)
Calculate Dose in mg and ccA newer treatment for mites and lice requiring a prescription. Apply topically to the skin. Pfizer reportedly advises 10mg/kg for cavies. Selamectin does not have ivermectin's proven safety track record but some cavy owners appreciate the convenience of once a month topical dosing.
NOTE: Tubes come in different concentrations (either 60mg/cc or 120 mg/cc). Individual tubes contain from 15mg to 360 mg selamectin and vary from 0.25ccto 3 cc by volume.
Example: Mauve tube treats up to 2.5kg of cat and contains 15mg per tube. [Each tube contains 0.25cc at 60mg/ml -- see PICTURE OF PACKAGE]

So if the concentration is 60mg/cc and the dosage is 10mg for a one kilo pig, the dose is 0.167cc. If you use the 120mg/cc tubes (which are twice as concentrated), the dose is smaller: 0.0833cc for a one kilo pig. To dose individual pigs, multiply their weight in kilos times either 0.0833cc (for the 120mg/cc tubes) or 0.167cc (for the 60mg/cc tubes).
Example: for a pig of 0.5 kilos using a 60mg/ml concentration:
0.5kg X 0.167cc/kg = 0.0835cc Dosage: 10mg/kg

If you can see the bugs, they're not mites, they're either lice or fleas. Since they're white, they're lice. Since your pig is just a baby, you need to see a vet for treatment. He's too young for you to treat him with ivermectin -- he needs to weigh 350 grams for that. Do NOT try to treat him yourself.
@(broken link removed) oooh so true! Did not even consider the age! So glad you caught that cause I would hate to think my advice could cause harm to the baby pig.

I don't think you can actually see mites, you just have to look for the tell tale symptoms (such as excessive scratching, flaky skin, etc). Elmo got mites due to the stress of his move but he just had a little dandruff/dry skin and was scratching a lot. Due to his age I gave him one squirt of mite spray (I know it's not advised to use that on here, but I didn't know at the time, and it turns out I couldn't have used anything else anyway because of his age) and now they're all cleared up.

I'll let somebody else give you their opinion on what could be the problem with your piggy but I personally don't think it's mites. Perhaps it's worth a vets trip.
Okay then, I guess that would be lice.

Also, let this be a lesson as to why you shouldn't buy guinea pigs from pet stores. It's not uncommon for them to sell you sick animals, because they don't have a clue. People often end up with pregnant guinea pigs, or mis-sexed guinea pigs because of poor pet store knowledge, but there are plenty of healthy pigs waiting to be adopted in shelters (and if they don't get adopted, they end up getting put down).
Yes, I know and I have been wanting to get my guinea pigs from shelters but please note that:
1) I have done research and haven't seen any small animal shelters (ones that have guiena pigs, at least) around where I live.
2) I'm only 10 and I only have so much control with these things, sense my parents have to drive me, etc.

I'm not trying to make excuses, I'm just trying to explain my situation.
By they way, it's me, Luna, now. Sorry about that. My sister's not typing anymore.

@Luna8, you're trying to a good job of taking care of your piggy, and that's a very good thing.

You may someday want to get him a buddy -- pigs do better with a friend. If you do, try Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder. There are humane societies in both Eugene and Corvallis that have guinea pigs right now. They may not have them when you want another, but contact them anyway. They may maintain waiting lists, and be willing to put your name on it. Or they may know of pigs that are available but just haven't had the facilities to take them in themselves.

Or let us know if and when you want another -- we'll be glad to help you find one that doesn't come from a pet store.

Thank you, @bpatters! Actually, we're quarintiening (or however you spell that) Fiver for Wiggles, who was Aslan's close cage-mate. (Aslan just passed away two days ago, sadly). He's still quite young as well, and even though he's maturing, I think he'll be great with Fiver who's just a pesky little baby, lol.
Thanks for your help again!

I'm not trying to make excuses, I'm just trying to explain my situation.
By they way, it's me, Luna, now. Sorry about that. My sister's not typing anymore.

Alright, no worries :) I just like to my views on pet stores in case people haven't heard me rant already lol hope all goes well with getting your little one treated!

I agree with everyone else. It is most likely lice. My piggies had lice earlier this year and since i had not gone to the vet before there was a long wait. Well I hated to see my boys itching so I looked around and found Lice 'n Easy by Goregeous Guineas. I treated them for 3 weeks and after that I did not see any more lice (before I could see them all over the skin of my pigs)! I went to the vet a few weeks later anyways and she gave them the OK! I was so happy that they were all gone!

That's great!
But the thing that's strange to me, is that he isn't scratching at all! He seems completely normal. All that's different is that he has little white bugs in his fur. I'll keep a close eye on him.

Are you treating him for the lice?

Are you treating him for the lice?

Well, not yet. I guess we'll have to go to the Vet.... again.
Man, my parent's won't like this but oh well. What if they won't let me? You said not to treat him myself.

I said not to treat him with ivermectin -- he's too young for that. You can use the original Advantage, not Advantage II. But he needs to be treated, by you or by the vet.

Okay. I'll let Mom know.

How much should I give him?

Did you find the original Advantage? What strength is it? You need the package for kittens up to 9 pounds.

Something you can do safely is use good quality Olive oil till you get to the vet. It effectively suffocates lice, fleas and surface mites. It may be a little time consuming and messy, but in the past i have had success with this method not only for guinea pigs, but also for cats as well.
Good Luck

I don't think I'd want to douse my guinea pig in olive oil. I think I'd hold out for the Advantage.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.