Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General New Addition to the Family!

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Hello all! It has been a very long time since I have posted here. No worries I occasionally lurk in the shadows! Since my last post/visit I have lost one of my trio of pigs. No idea what really was wrong with her but we think it was cancer, as she lost a ton of weight even though she was eating fine. She passed in my arms back in April, she was about 5 years old.

Fast forward to a happier note. I recently adopted a new pig from a friend! My friend had a lone pig who recently lost a cage mate, and asked me if I would like to try to do intro her into my herd. This is Squiggles! (I did not choose this name but it is super fitting!)

20140804_194407.jpg

She is about 2 years old. She has some hair loss due to Ovarian cysts. The vet was not able to perform a spay, so she was given hormone injections. Hopefully all will go well with intros later this week. She is very sweet and active and adorable! She will be the newest cage mate to Charlie-Muffin (7 yrs old!!!) and Penelope (5 yrs old). Pretty much as long as her an Penelope hit it off it will be a success! I am planning for normal introductions on dry land tomorrow and if that does not go well I am going to attempt a buddy bath Friday.

I ordered some Tropiclean shampoo for them, safe for dogs and cats and it's made with all natural ingredients! I only paid $5.75 on Amazon with prime for a 20oz bottle. Way better than Superpet Squeaky Clean!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Aww I'm so happy for you. Congratulations on your new family member.

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
she's beautiful. she looks so soft.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
she's beautiful. she looks so soft.

Thanks! She's actually not as soft as she looks! She's still kinda patchy and rough! I bought a moisturizing shampoo that should help with that though!

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I love her hair! She is so pretty!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What a gorgeous girl! I love her colouring. Hope intros go well!

If the shampoo you've ordered doesn't work, or turns out to be unsuitable for whatever reason, you should try Gorgeous Guineas products. They're UK based so you won't get as cheap a deal on price, but they're all natural too and they have a whole bunch of shampoos, conditioners etc :)

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
What a gorgeous girl! I love her colouring. Hope intros go well!

If the shampoo you've ordered doesn't work, or turns out to be unsuitable for whatever reason, you should try Gorgeous Guineas products. They're UK based so you won't get as cheap a deal on price, but they're all natural too and they have a whole bunch of shampoos, conditioners etc :)

I am familiar with Gorgeous Guineas. I went with the Tropiclean cause I have used it before for my dog and love it AND it will be here in 2 days instead of 1-2weeks! I also don't like the scents that Gorgeous guineas uses in most of their shampoos, and especially for the size and price. I honestly have access to supplies to make my own shampoo though! I am extremely picky about my skin care products (for me and my pets!) so I've done my research!! On top of that Tropiclean is a local brand from my area!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I am familiar with Gorgeous Guineas. I went with the Tropiclean cause I have used it before for my dog and love it AND it will be here in 2 days instead of 1-2weeks! I also don't like the scents that Gorgeous guineas uses in most of their shampoos, and especially for the size and price. I honestly have access to supplies to make my own shampoo though! I am extremely picky about my skin care products (for me and my pets!) so I've done my research!! On top of that Tropiclean is a local brand from my area!

I'm with you on that one, I'm extremely fussy about my skin case products too! My girls have a suitable shampoo but as short hairs they don't really get bathed very often, unless I suddenly notice one of them has orange/green/red/other fur from lying on their veggies. They're both completely white so sometimes I'm like "ah, a self done dye job, good for you Minnie!" lol

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
@Princess_Piggie I actually work for a company that makes all-natural skin care products so I'm a little biased lol. And I know what you mean about the baths! My old lady Charlie-Muffin always has a green chin! And Squiggles pushed all the bedding out of her hut last night so her butt is all covered in pee and now she actually needs a bath! She won't let me comb her, she's such a busy pig!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Ever since I started using an all-natural salve as my tattoo aftercare I've been hooked!
Squiggles sounds like Minnie, a diva pig who isn't afraid to say "human, let's not forget who's really in charge here..now bring me the damn vegetables!" lol

Rywen

Cavy Slave
She's adorable, congratulations!

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
So today I attempted to do intros... All was fine in neutral territory, but once in the cage which I completely cleaned before putting everyone in, they began arguing. Penelope and Squiggles were at each others throats on and off with moments of peace where all the pigs would sleep next to each other. After almost 4 hours the two had a major fight where they both ended up on the ground on their backs. Penelope drew blood on Squiggles. She wounded her in the side and ear. I flushed the wounds and put on some guinea pig friendly stuff to keep it from infection. Currently I have their cage split into two smaller cages with Squiggles alone.

Any idea when I should try intros again? I think I'll do the buddy bath. I don't know if maybe Squiggles needs another hormone shot or if Penelope will just never accept her. Penelope gets along fine with Charlie-Muffin and Squiggles got along with her too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.