Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Never active, always sleeping.

GuineaPiggie123

Cavy Slave
I'm getting really scared at first my guinea pig were in a small cage and I recently expanded the cage to a 3x2 c&c cage with a second story, but they are even more inactive than they were before the new cage! They are always napping and sleeping, and never being active. I still take them out for play time but they are always laying down. They are always just lying down and never doing any activity. One of my guinea pigs, Zoe, it ALWAYS on the second story, just lying in their hay and never moving unless to get up and start eating again. I don't think this is healthy and the last thing I want it unhealthy guinea pigs, PLEASE HELP!!!
P.S. I'm kind of new to this forum, I was inactive when I made this account, and will be introducing me and my guinea pigs :) (Zoe and Chloe) later.

I think I would make a quick trip to the vet if anything doesn't change, but my pigs were like that when I first got them because of the new environment. So possibly the new cage is making them a little lethargic. Maybe find a favorite toy, or something to get some activity started. With my new cage, I got a favorite treat for my pigs and left some of that treat in spaces they didn't really look at yet. This can encourage them to explore. Let me know if this is any help, like I said don't hesitate to take them to a vet. :)

How long have you had these pigs? And how old are they? If they're new, it's not at all unusual for them to be inactive.

I think I only came in when they were sleeping, I just spent about 20 mintues around them and they seem fine, but I was looking at vet costs and they can be pretty pricey just for a vist, and I don't have that much extra money so I couldn't be able to take her to the vet, not now atleast. I gave them their favorite treat, carrot on a string (hand the carrot from the roof, its a good toy) and it really seemed to just wake them up, but I won't know for a while if its a health thing, or they are under slept, because some nights I'm up late doing work, and if I do stay up late I put a blanket over them so they can still sleep. I will try to get back as soon as I have more information.

I have had them for about a year and this is a new behavior they have had.They have been under slept a bit I think though because I have been up late the past.

Are they acting ill in any way? Noses in the corner of the cage? Sitting with their fur puffed up? Are they eating/pooping/drinking/peeing normally? Are they losing weight?

They are acting all normal, still eating drinking, but I just did the daily spot clean so I don't know if they have drank enough, but I will find that out asap. If they are not pooping/peeing etc. then what should I do if I cant take her to the vet? They aren't acting ill (I don't know what they look like). I is noses in the corner of the cage literal or a saying, if literal no. They only puff their fur up when they show dominance and sometimes it takes a while for the fur to go back down. My other guinea pig chloe had been losing weight, but because he LOVES her floor time and really exercises, but Zoe usually just sits around during floor time, and doesn't get much exercise, and she if the one who has mostly been sleeping. ALSO I'm worried they get bored because I'm not home a lot of the day so I need to some toys to put in their cage. If you have any DIY ideas I would love to know them but I would only be able to buy cheap 10$ toys off amazon, or something like that.
-P.S. Thank you guys so much for all the help :D

They are acting all normal, still eating drinking, but I just did the daily spot clean so I don't know if they have drank enough, but I will find that out asap. If they are not pooping/peeing etc. then what should I do if I cant take her to the vet? They aren't acting ill (I don't know what they look like). I is noses in the corner of the cage literal or a saying, if literal no. They only puff their fur up when they show dominance and sometimes it takes a while for the fur to go back down. My other guinea pig chloe had been losing weight, but because he LOVES her floor time and really exercises, but Zoe usually just sits around during floor time, and doesn't get much exercise, and she if the one who has mostly been sleeping. ALSO I'm worried they get bored because I'm not home a lot of the day so I need to some toys to put in their cage. If you have any DIY ideas I would love to know them but I would only be able to buy cheap 10$ toys off amazon, or something like that.
-P.S. Thank you guys so much for all the help :D
What really keeps my pigs occupied toys wise is toilet paper rolls, stuffed with hay, healthy treats etc. You can even fringe out the edges too, just be careful about making sure they can't get their head stuck in the roll.

They don't sound sick to me, so I don't see a reason for a vet visit. And yes, I did literally mean nose to the wall of the cage. When mine are ill, they'll go put themselves in the corner with their noses to the wall.

Mine don't play with toys. I wouldn't recommend spending any money on toys. You can set up different tunnels made out of boxes and strew bits of their favorite herbs and fruits to encourage them to move. Mine love to take food from my hand, so I walk them from one end of the cage to the other a couple of times before handing food to them.

Movement is good for them -- decreases the chances of their getting bladder stones, But it's hard to convince them of that. :)

Also, two pigs in a 2X3 even with a loft is too many. The cage is large enough for one pig, not two. If that was an expansion, I can't imagine what they were living in before. Create a larger cage, at least a 2X4 to get them running, doing laps, etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.