Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Need help with cage ideas!

emmajo

Cavy Slave
Due to reasons I am unable to make a C&C cage. I move far too much, and assembling and disassembling will be far too much trouble. I am however using midwest cage for 2 pigs, and I think 24"x48" is sufficient for 2. Nonetheless, I still want to make them an upper layer because my life has really gone to the pigs xD but I'm not sure how!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

N

Nibbs

Your cage is about 3/4 of a grid shorter than a normal C & C cage. I would still recommend getting some grids, a sheet of coroplast, zip ties, and maybe a couple of wood dowels to hold up the coro. You should still be able to connect the grids with zip ties just like a normal c&c cage without actually building a cage just build the loft and save the rest for later (you can never have enuff grids).. Good luck!!!

emmajo

Cavy Slave
The thing is, I move about 3 times a year at the moment. Not far away, but still a lot of packing and unpacking. Naturally I would prefer an easy assembly cage until things could settle down. I'll think of other alternatives I guess. I am looking at the possibility of linking a store bought cage (used to house piggies during fleece change) to the opening of the MHcage as a food area.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you ziptie the grids together and don't use connectors on the short sides, the cage can be folded for moving.
Coroplast can fold for the move too.

Edit to add.

Here's an idea for you.
3Me3Fa3Id5Gd5Ea5Macap32308fc060aa12b0.jpg
3Fb3Lc3M85Nc5Gd5H9cap4709ae34110b1b95.jpg
3Mc3N43H55L85Eb5Jbcap808ec8a257ea1277.jpg

For the upper deck, you can buy these and they'll be easy to remove for the move.
https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/piggy-patios

Last edited:

emmajo

Cavy Slave
Wow thanks! I had no idea the coroplast could be folded this way. Thank you for sharing! I'm seriously considering getting one. I have no idea how I'd be able to score the coroplast myself though as I still live in a dorm. I'll look into it

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
If you just use zip ties instead of the connectors you can fold the grids down even smaller and faster. The coro is very durable. I've moved a large piece 3x and it's never cracked or broke. You can score it where you want to fold it.
I have a cheaper version of coro now ($12 sheet from Home Depot) and it's still pretty hardy stuff. We folded it and messed it with it a lot while we were trying to decide on size and folding and my 3 yr old even jumped on it while it was being cut and it never broke.

ETA: I also have the midwest cage too and the grids are sturdier than the midwest sides just FYI-which might be better for moving it a lot.

emmajo

Cavy Slave
Thats the thing, I have no idea how I'm going to score the coroplast, having no tools and living in a dorm.

And I was actually intending to throw the midwest cage away when I move to somewhere more permanent. When I meant move, i meant moving countries >< and states too

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
All you need is an exacto knife or box cutter-they are super cheap at any local stores.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.